Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:48 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Difference
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:14 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Some people care but care without meaning, not translating the concerns into concrete actions. selfishness abounds even in the midst of wealth. poverty persists even as supplies of goodwill are constant. when we cannot truly and completely rely on governments to do its mandate to uplift public welfare, do you have something to offer in order to make a difference and what would it be ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:22 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

When the enormity of huge world problems seem so insoluble and you feel so helpless, one thing that may make you feel useful and WILL make a difference is to do some voluntary work.

There is usually a great need for volunteers and the time you give can vary from almost full time to just a few hours a week or once a month, depending on the type of work.

It will be different in each country and may be with people, such as Red Cross or Salvation Army, may be office work needed, driving, preparing meals etc; or environmental, planting trees after fires, rebuilding after flood; or perhaps helping someone with some kind of disability, blind, housebound, with hearing loss, confined to wheel chair, aged with gardening, get shopping, change library books, read to and so on,things like that.

There will be something somewhere that you can do and enjoy. With voluntary work you meet so many amazing new people, make new friends, learn new skills and do have the satisfaction that you have been able to do something, however small, that has made a difference.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:58 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

A BIG YES to your reply GT. It's the best way. In fact, the only way to be and really feel relevant. love u momma!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:08 am 

I don't know about it. There is usually a great need for volunteers and the time you give can vary from almost full time to just a few hours a week or once a month, depending on the type of work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:51 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Part of the reason I am going through a period of mental and spiritual rejuvenation is because of volunteer work. My biggest desire is to give myself. And in effect, I am turning people on to the idea of volunteering; too. I'm also 'planting the seed' with a friend of mine; he and I might be doing something in the Philippines (but that is in the 3 or 4 years to come.)

The nature of volunteer work is priceless and eternal, though the effects to the naked eye seem negligible.