Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:00 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:57 am 

What Do You Know About Fear?
by Othmane MEZIAN

========================================
You can download this article in PDF document format at...
http://www.no1student.com/articles/pdf/ ... Reason.pdf

"In civilized life it has at last become possible for large numbers of people to pass from the cradle to the grave without ever having had a pang of genuine fear. Many of us need an attack of mental disease to teach us the meaning of the word." William James.

We have all heard the seemingly discriminating remarks that fear is normal and abnormal, and that normal fear is to be regarded as a friend, while abnormal fear should be destroyed as an enemy.

The fact is that no so called normal fear can be named which has not been clearly absent in some people who have had every cause therefor. If you will run over human history in your mind, or look about yea in the present life, you will find here and there persons who, in situations or before objects which ought, as any fearful soul will insist, to inspire the feeling of at least normal self-protecting fear, are nevertheless wholly without the feeling. They possess every feeling and thought demanded except fear. The idea of self-preservation is as strongly present as with the most abjectly timid or terrified, but fear they do not know. This fearless awareness of fear suggesting conditions may be due to several causes. It may result from constitutional make-up, or from long continued training or habituation, or from religious ecstasy, or from a perfectly calm sense of spiritual selfhood which is unhurtable, or from the action of very exalted reason. Whatever the explanation, the fact remains: the very causes which excite fear in most of us, merely appeal, with such people, if at all. to the instinct of self-preservation and to reason, the thought-element of the soul which makes for personal peace and wholeness.

Banish all fear.

It is on such considerations that I have come to hold that all real fear-feeling should and may be banished from our life, and that what we call "normal fear" should be substituted in our language by "instinct" or by "reason," the element of fear being dropped altogether.

"Everyone can testify that the psychical state called fear consists of mental representations of certain painful results" (James). The mental representations may be very faint as such, but the idea of hurt to self is surely present. If, then, it can be profoundly believed that the real self cannot be hurt; if the reason can be brought to consider vividly and believingly all quieting considerations; if the self can be held consciously in the assurance that the White Life surrounds the true self, and is surely within that self, and will suffer "no evil to come nigh," while all the instincts of self preservation may be perfectly active, fear itself must be removed "as far as the east is from the west."

These are the ways, then, in which any occasion for fear may be divided:

As a warning and as a maker of panic. But let us say that the warning should be understood as given to reason, that fear need not appear at all, and that the panic is perfectly useless pain. With these discriminations in mind, we may now go on to a preliminary study of fear.

preliminary study of fear.

Fear is (a) an impulse, (b) a habit, (c) a disease.

Fear, as it exists in man, is a make-believe of sanity, a creature of the imagination, a state of insanity.

Furthermore, fear is, now of the nerves, now of the mind, now of the moral consciousness.

The division depends upon the point of view. What is commonly called normal fear should give place to reason, using the word to cover instinct as well as thought. From the correct point of view all fear is an evil so long as entertained.

Whatever its manifestations, wherever its apparent location, fear is a psychic state, of course, reacting upon the individual in several ways: as, in the nerves, in mental moods, in a single impulse, in a chronic habit, in a totally unbalanced condition. The reaction has always a good intention, meaning, in each case, "Take care! Danger!" You will see that this is so if you will look for a moment at three comprehensive kinds of fear fear of self, fear for self, fear for others. Fear of self is indirectly fear for self danger. Fear for others signifies foresensed or forepictured distress to self because of anticipated misfortune to others. I often wonder whether, when we fear for others, it is distress to self or hurt to them that is most emphatically in our thought.

Fear, then, is usually regarded as the soul's danger signal. But the true signal is instinctive and thoughtful reason.

Even instinct and reason, acting as warning, may perform their duty abnormally, or assume abnormal proportions. And then we have the feeling of fear. The normal warning is induced by actual danger apprehended by mind in a state of balance and self-control. Normal mind is always capable of such warning. There are but two ways in which so-called normal fear, acting in the guise of reason, may be annihilated: by the substitution of reason for fear, and by the assurance of the white life.

Let it be understood, now, that by normal fear is here meant normal reason real fear being denied place and function altogether. Then we may say that such action of reason is a benefactor to man. It is, with pain and weariness, the philanthropy of the nature of things within us.

One person said: "Tired? No such word in my house!" Now this cannot be a sound and healthy attitude. Weariness, at a certain stage of effort, is a signal to stop work. When one becomes so absorbed in labor as to lose consciousness of the feeling of weariness, he has issued a "hurry call" on death. I do not deny that the soul may cultivate a sublime sense of buoyancy and power; rather do I urge you to seek that beautiful condition; but I hold that when a belief or a hallucination refuses to permit you to hear the warning of nerves and muscles, Nature will work disaster inevitably. Let us stand for the larger liberty which is joyously free to take advantage of everything Nature may offer for true well-being. There is a partial liberty which tries to realize itself by denying various realities as real; there is a higher liberty which really realizes itself by conceding such realities as real and by using or disusing them as occasion may require in the interest of the self at its best. I hold this to be true wisdom: to take advantage of everything which evidently promises good to the self, without regard to this or that theory, and freely to use all things, material or immaterial, reasonable or spiritual. I embrace your science or your method; but I beg to ignore your bondage to philosophy or to consistency. So I say that to normal health the weary-sense is a rational command to replenish exhausted nerves and muscles.

It is not liberty, it is not healthful, to declare, "There is no pain!" Pain does exist, whatever you affirm, and your affirmation that it does not is proof that it does exist, for why (and how) declare the non-existence of that which actually is non-existent? But if you say, "As a matter of fact I have pain, but I am earnestly striving to ignore it, and to cultivate thought-health so that the cause of pain may be removed," that is sane and beautiful. This is the commendable attitude of the Bible character who cried: "Lord, I believe; help thou mine unbelief." To undertake swamping pain with a cloud of psychological fog that is to turn anarchist against the good government of Nature. By pain Nature informs the individual that he is somewhere out of order. This warning is normal. The feeling becomes abnormal in the mind when imagination twangs the nerves with reiterated irritation, and Will, confused by the discord and the psychic chaos, cowers and shivers with fear.

I do not say there is no such thing as fear. Fear does exist. But it exists in your life by your permission only, not because it is needful as a warning against "evil."

Fear is induced by unduly magnifying actual danger, or by conjuring up fictitious dangers through excessive and misdirected psychical reactions. This also may be taken as a signal of danger, but it is a falsely-intentioned witness, for it is not needed, is hostile to the individual because it threatens self-control and it absorbs life's forces in useless and destructive work when they ought to be engaged in creating values.

Like This Article? Publish It On FaceBook In 2 Clicks..
http://www.facebook.com/share.php?u=htt ... 3826#93826
You can download this article in PDF document format at...
http://www.no1student.com/articles/pdf/ ... Reason.pdf

==============
Source http://www.no1student.com newsletter

"I Can Do It !"
Success Principles For Smart People!
FaceBook Group
Join The Group Now..
http://go.0ui.biz/5
Click Now!

Last edited by mezian on Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:35 am, edited 8 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:29 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Anyone who claims to be without fear is either lying or seriously unwell.

Fear is a valuable part of our psyche, it gives warning and allows us to moderate our actions apropriately.

Courage is not an absence of fear, but one's control of it rather than it controlling one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:31 pm 
DedeKorkut
DedeKorkut

having been involved in too many fights and even shot, i also experienced that sometimes it is fear what makes one courageous

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:18 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Tonyukuk wrote:
having been involved in too many fights and even [/b[b]]shot, i also experienced that sometimes it is fear what makes one courageous

By jingo your Mum was serious about cleaning your room then?
I concur, bullets hurt and are well worth being fearful of.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:38 am 
DedeKorkut
DedeKorkut

but that fear that was caused by that bullet gave me the courage, so i managed to jump towards the man,kicked his hand.

in fact,i must confess, despite my beliefs about courage and honour, i am not a man who can jump towards a man who holds a gun, under normal circumstances.
Quote:

i can not understand this, damn my bad english

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:31 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Or perhaps damn my warped sense of humour. The idea was that you didn't clean your room properly so your Mum shot you, ah well some joke.

Courage and honour are not at question in rushing folks with guns, just sanity. A leading martial arts instructor in Aust, Jan de Jong, who was contracted by the Army amongst others, always said the correct action when confronted by an assailant with a gun was to do what he says and stay alive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:00 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

just saw this on the random quote page:

None but a coward dares to boast that he has never known fear.

Ferdinand Foch (1851 - 1929)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:16 am 
DedeKorkut
DedeKorkut

hahaha DSW it is a pity that my english is not good enough to understand your jokes. But yes, if my mum saw my flat, she would probably shot me. So i've hidden my gun last night, you warned me ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:18 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

DSW wrote:
:lol:

I know something about this, as well....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:09 am 

Or, as the heavy metal group Ministry sings, "Fear is Big Business."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:54 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

When I was a kid, they used to scare me "Sal, if you didn't do your homework, or eat all your food, or wash your teeth ... bla bla and bla - when you get to sleep in this closet near your bed, a monster will come out at night and will scare you to death."

As a kid's mind, I was really scared that I had to do all my homework even if boring and grow a kid's brain retarded, had to eat all the food in my offered dishes even if tasteless and not my choice, had to wash my teeth and had to go bed early to meet this expected monster. The monster they kept building its image in my mind kept growing as I grow older until I decided to find out who or what it is ... one day after they left me in this dark room kissin' me good night, I woke up and turned on lil spot light next to my bed ... slowly but surely came near by this closet of mine whispering to the monster or ghost (you name it) and as far as my memory saves me; I said 'Can we be friends?, just come out, I'll count till 3, if you didnt come out, am gonna open this door" ... I counted of course till 10 and the coward didnt show up until today :)

I figured out the bigger image now ... it was a plan (lame one indeed) about how to manipulate others by inventing even imaginary tools and sometimes those creators believe their lies and live peacefully side by side to it until this lie becomes a fact. Look at how some adults (not kids) have become now who are still believing in the idea of 'the monster in the closet' grew terribly lame thinkers, tasteless and hypnotized blindly.

As a me, Sal, the kid ... I discovered that fear was 'nothing' since the ghost had no existence at all. Fear is simply personified in 'Man'. And behind my closet were many other doors ... and still trying to unlock one after the other, until now.

I know was long ... but at least you cared to have a look, thank you.

Libra.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:23 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Phaedrus wrote:
Or, as the heavy metal group Ministry sings, "Fear is Big Business."

His words are few and far between, but worth your listening.