Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:10 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:30 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

How many times you have this sentence repeating into your mind while being in a very boring gathering like in a meeting at work while your boss keeps bla bla bla ... all what you wish is 'When this meeting be over?"

Or when you are obliged to listen to one of your lousy boring co-workers speaking about stuff totally outta your own business like bringing you some photo album of his family and here we go: "This is Adam my eldest child, this is grandma, this is my brother's kid - look how beautiful - (P.S: he is the only one seeing this kid beautiful btw, not yet heard my opinion lol), anyways, this is my pet, this is my room, this is my ............ sh--!

My question is: How can you get yourself out of such situations in a polite way? I know it could be a body language gestures which probably could send this "END OF CONVERSATION" successfully but I assume I am dealing with LESS witty creatures, so I need some nice lines, recomendations or skills to could bounce off a boring conversation without being impolite ...

Its good to share anyways :)

Libra.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:07 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

libra&libra wrote:
How many times you have this sentence repeating into your mind while being in a very boring gathering like in a meeting at work while your boss keeps bla bla bla ... all what you wish is 'When this meeting be over?"

Or when you are obliged to listen to one of your lousy boring co-workers speaking about stuff totally outta your own business like bringing you some photo album of his family and here we go: "This is Adam my eldest child, this is grandma, this is my brother's kid - look how beautiful - (P.S: he is the only one seeing this kid beautiful btw, not yet heard my opinion lol), anyways, this is my pet, this is my room, this is my ............ sh--!

My question is: How can you get yourself out of such situations in a polite way? I know it could be a body language gestures which probably could send this "END OF CONVERSATION" successfully but I assume I am dealing with LESS witty creatures, so I need some nice lines, recomendations or skills to could bounce off a boring conversation without being impolite ...

Its good to share anyways :)

Libra.

How about, 'Bugger me, how many branches did the poor little sod hit when he fell out of the ugly tree?'

"So the doctor was against euthanasia then?"

'Pet, or wife, it's hard to tell from the photo?'

'Bloody hell, if anything in my family looked like that, I'd destroy all the cameras and lock the ugly f----ers away in a tower.'

'Wow, your family swims in the shallow end of the gene pool eh?'

Or, of course, the classic 'F--k off idiot.'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:45 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

I find myself in this situation a lot of times and it can really be disgusting not to be able to vanish instantly from the crowd i am caught in. i know i have the social obligation by being polite and respectful, or being considerate. Sometimes , i had to because i really never know that when it's my turn to be heard, i might be so disliked too and that would hurt.

I cant be with people anytime i like so such situation is unavoidable but mainly a loner, solitude is my best company.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:03 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

I'm pretty hopeless with my mobile phone, but isn't there some way you can trigger off a fake ringtone when the need arises and quit the group "to answer important call"?

Wouldn't work in meeting, used to write my shopping list at those times!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:53 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Cool suggestions my friends ...

Mind if I added some clarifications revolving around this subject matter ...

It is not that I dislike to share others' in whatever subject matter they would want my opinion in but still this depends on how chemistry we share with one another in the first place. If I considered you my friend then I am open and welcoming you otherwise; I really despise some ugly inconsiderate fat stranger with such a smelly body coming closer to me to share with me some weirdo aliens calling them "My Family Photo Album" ... duh!!!

How I wish to could give him this link to read this thoroughly lol

Libra.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:10 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Yes, oh Koala bait. Set your alarm and make the alarm tone your ring tone.
Meeting stsrts at 0900, alarm rings 0910, Lemon scented (or desert dwelling) voluptuary disappears.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:33 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

libra&libra wrote:
Cool suggestions my friends ...

Mind if I added some clarifications revolving around this subject matter ...

It is not that I dislike to share others' in whatever subject matter they would want my opinion in but still this depends on how chemistry we share with one another in the first place. If I considered you my friend then I am open and welcoming you otherwise; I really despise some ugly inconsiderate fat stranger with such a smelly body coming closer to me to share with me some weirdo aliens calling them "My Family Photo Album" ... duh!!!

How I wish to could give him this link to read this thoroughly lol

Libra.

Don't worry, Libra, we all understand and I think everyone has suffered the same way! Other people's relations are boring beyond words and family photos are only of interest in the family - and not always then.

I seem to be condemned to have strangers talk to me when travelling. Just because I smile politely when they sit down they seem to think I want to chat - no way. I spent an hour on a Scottish bus with a lady who possibly told me her whole family history, but she came from Peterhead, a remote fishing community and I had absolutely no idea of what she was saying and just kept nodding and smiling and hoped she wasn't telling me of a funeral or terminal illness.

In October I am flying to UK, how shall I avoid someone on the plane talking to me for 24 hours???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:13 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

I'll send you a brace of U/S hearing aids, you point to them and make 'buggered battery' signs.

Or, start a 2 way conversation with youself, one side being the complaining wretch who feels crowded and the other the 'voice of reason'. Make several references to 'no one gets hurt today'. (Bloody good in lifts)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:04 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

gumtree wrote:

Don't worry, Libra, we all understand and I think everyone has suffered the same way! Other people's relations are boring beyond words and family photos are only of interest in the family - and not always then.

I seem to be condemned to have strangers talk to me when travelling. Just because I smile politely when they sit down they seem to think I want to chat - no way. I spent an hour on a Scottish bus with a lady who possibly told me her whole family history, but she came from Peterhead, a remote fishing community and I had absolutely no idea of what she was saying and just kept nodding and smiling and hoped she wasn't telling me of a funeral or terminal illness.

In October I am flying to UK, how shall I avoid someone on the plane talking to me for 24 hours???

Wishing you a nice flight with less interfering folks around into whatever which is non of their business. :)

Libra.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:19 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Thank you Libra, I might follow DSW's suggestions, or maybe plug in my ipod, close my eyes and jiggle to music! That might scare them off :)