Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:27 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:12 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

I've scoured the internet for a quote by R. W. Emerson that I REALLY wish I could find.

It's something to the effect of how it's a shame that a boy gets in trouble for something he didn't know that he did.

It was basically an expression of distaste for parents who scold their children for whatever - doing something "wrong", mischief, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:38 am 

Odd, my Googling couldn't produce much. Do you know where he might of said it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:20 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

I don't. I don't think it was in Nature or Self-Reliance. I don't know his other works, just his quotations so I am falling short.

I am mad at myself that I didn't write it down or something. I can't even remember a phrase in the quote. It definitely had the word "boy" in it, and possibly "trouble".... that's all I got.

*hangs head*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:07 pm 

The quote you are looking for is probably in the context of Emerson's lecture On Education. He mentions "boy" or "boys" in several parts of the lecture. Here is a passage from it where he seemingly sternly lectures parents:

I believe that our own experience instructs us that the secret of Education lies in respecting the pupil. It is not for you to choose what he shall know, what he shall do. It is chosen and foreordained, and he only holds the key to his own secret. By your tampering and thwarting and too much governing he may be hindered from his end and kept out of his own. Respect the child. Wait and see the new product of Nature. Nature loves analogies, but not repetitions. Respect the child. Be not too much his parent. Trespass not on his solitude.

http://www.vcu.edu/engweb/transcendenta ... ation.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:30 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Indeed, indeed, thank you for the direction - however, this was not specifically the quote. Nonetheless, Phaedrus, these are excellent words and "On Education" will be a great place for me to start once I find/make time.

[I might also ask a personal favor, when any of you are bored and curious to do the same (?). Selfish of me. Do what you want.]

"trouble"
what "shame" it is
"boy"

This applies particularly to me - my sister and her husband are good strong parents to my little little niece and nephew. The hubbie, probably to a stronger extent. Not necessarily more instances; but the instances are TOO authoritative and it makes me and others uncomfortable.

On Education is possibly where it is and I might have taken the quote itself out of context, but thanks for finding what you can.