Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:57 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Just stopping by
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 2:42 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Hello fellow forumers, it's been such-and-such long since I've taken a peek, so I am just looking to see what's going on. (Not much!!)

Here's a stimulant, if you like.... I'm doing a paper for my religion class that explains the relationship between Faith and Reason and their interdependence. Here's an article amongst my studies that I thought was a good read. It's a "Catholic source", but the priest who wrote the article is also a neuroscientist from Yale and Harvard.

http://www.catholiceducation.org/articl ... me0093.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 2:14 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Wotcha young Thomas, nice to 'hear' from you. Keeping well I hope? Certainly keeping busy. All the best.
Interesting article, rare for me to agree with a religious type and more so a Catholic. Mind you this bloke makes perfect sense and now I'm rethinking a couple of idea's of my own.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 11:23 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

You got it -- keeping well, keeping busy. Last day of school on Monday.... then onto this "real world" that I've heard so many people talk about! This is the first time in my life I have ever asked myself, "Man, WHAT do I do now?" Scary/exciting!

Glad you liked the article, too. Penny for your thoughts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 2:28 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

I was particularly taken by the thought of the eagle egg having the full protection of law, and the suggestion of how we think of embryos as they relate to our convenience.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 5:52 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Ditto. The eagle was a perfect analogy, and it struck a chord with me. I think Fr Tad was more right than he thinks he is when he said there is a "mental disconnect."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 2:31 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

It's a lot like the 'zygote' nonsense, a word designed to remove any suggestion of a connection with humanity.
We don't kill off surplus animals, we have a 'cull' or we 'thin' the herd.
There is no end to the linguistic evolutions we use for our own delusion.
By the way, it's bloody good to be 'talking' to you again old darling.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 5:13 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Hi Tommy

Congratulations on end of school, may the "real " world treat you kindly.

From the way you've shown that you take the trouble to really think, I have faith enough in you and your thinking to be sure that, even when it turns up rough sometimes, you will get through.

Please keep stopping by now and again so we know how you're going.

Carpe Diem in the best possible sense - that of making the most of what is offered to make life the best you can and to savour every day -

Many many good wishes now and for your future :wink:

GT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 9:58 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Right after you Carpe the diem, make sure to apply Caveat emptor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 12:14 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

By the way, (and how i regret not getting this in sooner) Halloooo oh Canberran koala habitat. Very nice to 'hear' from you again also.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 4:03 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

DSW, to what extent has the "eagle analogy" influenced you in your stance on life issues?

Thanks for the welcomes!! You guys make me feel glad to be back. I'll be seizing the day for sure, but only for a short time. In a year or two, I'm off to the seminary!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 4:15 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

It's not a great change for me, I've never been a believer in abortion and the like. I've just maintained a view that only the individuals involved have the right to comment on their situation, not a lot of ratbag whingers with nothing better to do than foist their views on all and sundry. Sort of Pro Choice, but allowing the idea that this means one can choose not to do it as well.
I was rather ambivalent about stem cell research, not so now. Cord blood donations and voluntary donations, Aye, taken from an organism which cannot make an informed decision, NAY! Basically, anything non injurious.
Now young squire, shall ye be Brother Tom or Father Tom (Or in these enlightened times, Sister Tom)?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 6:16 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

HAHA, *BROTHER* Tom. Not Father, nor Sister. :lol:

A new Franciscan Order was recently founded with the help of our new Bishop. And since he's moved into my city, so have the Brothers. They don't wear shoes except when they work. They have no refrigerator, no microwave. Their sleeping quarters are SMALL cells, with a sleeping bag and sometimes a pillow. Lots of other stuff, too, that I can't think of. I'm hoping that I can spend a week with them to see what it's like. I don't plan on joining that Order, because of their obvious limitations to the 21st century. But, it'll be good for me, no doubt.

I fail to see the distinction between being pro-choice and being against embryonic stem cells.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 8:26 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

True, I did explain myself poorly. By pro choice I mean I don't believe that my personal views can be imposed on another's personal situation. I'm against, but I respect other's right to be for. (Always assuming they respect my right to a view, of course-Och, see Voltaire he says it far better)
Embryonic stem cell research seems to me to be a destructive process, for the embryo anyway, where as cord blood research is merely making what was a waste product valuable.
I think you should try a Benedictine Monastery, bugger the animals give me cognac.
There was a very interesting documentary from the BBC recently about a very diverse group who spent a period in a monastery, following them through. If I can work out the name of it, I'll let you know and you may be able to get a view online.
I envy you your beliefs in many respects YT, it takes a strength of character to hold fast to ones beliefs in these hedonistic times. It takes a pile of guts to put yourself into this form of challenge. Although I cannot muster belief myself, I often wonder if I could exorcise some of my demons if I could believe.
I would be VERY interested to here of your time cloistered, and your interpretations of the life.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 12:45 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

How about 'Your Eminence'?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 5:58 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Thank you for your kind greeting , Oh Dweller in the gourmet capital of Oz, I am indeed still around and enjoy your contributions, but not been able to make much comment lately. Would very much appreciate a translation of your new signature, I do remember managing to get to “grassy balls” in my school Latin, but this is way beyond me though artistically it is most attractive.

Tommy, I completely respect your choice and wish you well. Would appreciate anything you choose to share about your experiences. I read the article you posted and have been following your discussion with interest. The comments re lawmaking were sensible and valid, it is when religious extremists of any kind begin to get positions of power it becomes very worrying.

My feelings on abortion have been expressed before. I am definitely Pro Choice, but like DSW, Choice being the important word. However, if one of my children or grandchildren was dying of a disease and embryonic stem cell research had come up with a cure I certainly wouldn’t refuse that cure on a matter of principle. To lighten the mood , here’s a good news story, with the use of someone’s own stem cells that came out today.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010 ... 902815.htm

With regard to the “bald eagle” argument I find that fallacious, so will throw a comment in to stir the pot!

Quote:

“By the force of law, we recognize how the egg of the bald eagle, that is to say, the embryonic eagle inside that egg, is the same creature as the glorious bird that we witness flying high overhead. Therefore we pass laws to safeguard not only the adult but also the very youngest member of that species......What's so troublesome is how we are able to understand the importance of protecting the earliest stages of animal life but when it comes to our own human life, a kind of mental disconnect takes place.”

To use this as an argument all those who are against the use of embryonic stem cells should be vegan. The only reason the eggs of the bald eagle are so protected is that they were rare and at one time a threatened species.

This is the programmme DSW mentioned and has alink to youtube

http://www.worthabbey.net/bbc/

Long post again – you shouldn’t wake a sleeping dragon!!

GT