Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:50 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:22 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

The Dante Club by Matthew Pearl.

So far it is quite an interesting book.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:19 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Stone of Tears, by Terry Goodkind. It's the second book in the Sword of Truth Series. I read them some time ago, but am reading many of them again, and appreciating them even more. :)

Mahatma Ghandi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:29 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Well, I was finally able to put Poe down after half his works, nearly overloaded, and decided to put off reading for a while. I was about to get back to it 2 weeks ago, and my luck, I ended up with a viral infection, causing me to be too sick to leave bed for that period, I'm just getting back on my feet... I've started back with works by Truman Capote, A Christmas Memory, and The Grass Harp, along with some other short stories of his... I have seen a play based on A Christmas Memory, named Holiday Memories, which combined all of the stories together. This play touched me so deeply, I even cried, if you know me, is a very rare event that only happens when something really affects me. But I got interested, so now, I think I'll dive into his literary "water" for a while.

"The sun rises every day. What is to love? Lock the sun in a box. Force the sun to overcome adversity in order to rise. THEN, we will cheer! I often admire a beautiful sunrise, but I will never consider the sun a champion for having risen."
Garth Stein

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:07 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

suzanne wrote:
Stone of Tears, by Terry Goodkind. It's the second book in the Sword of Truth Series. I read them some time ago, but am reading many of them again, and appreciating them even more. :)

I am in the process of reading that one right now, a little more than halfway done with it at this point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:50 am 

I'm almost finished with George R.R. Martin's A Clash of Kings. It is the second book in his A Song of Ice and Fire series...I like them a lot but I have a feeling I'm going to be let down when I finish the fourth book because, from what I understand, he's been promising a 5th book for years now and the release date keeps getting pushed back. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:31 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

God... I'm gonna go ahead and put this... I'm reading Common Sense, An Inconvenient Book, and Arguing with Idiots, all by Glenn Beck... Let the flames of the angry people who hate me for reading this now kiss across my skin...

"The sun rises every day. What is to love? Lock the sun in a box. Force the sun to overcome adversity in order to rise. THEN, we will cheer! I often admire a beautiful sunrise, but I will never consider the sun a champion for having risen."
Garth Stein

Post subject: What I'm Reading Now
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:52 pm 

Audrey Niffenegger's Her Fearful Symmetry.....this is a seriously good novel....a ghost story....a story of remorse...relationships....with London's Highgate Cemetery at the heart of the story.... twists and turns...just wonderful...Read it !!!!!!

Post subject: What Are You Reading Now
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:42 pm 

Just bought Rose Tremain's new novel 'Trespass' today.....starting it tonight....will tell you my thoughts on it soon....Rose Tremain's terrific historical novel 'Music and Silence'(2000) is a must if you haven't read it ....as is 'The Road Home' (2008).....

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:29 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

RickyM wrote:
Just bought Rose Tremain's new novel 'Trespass' today.....starting it tonight....will tell you my thoughts on it soon....Rose Tremain's terrific historical novel 'Music and Silence'(2000) is a must if you haven't read it ....as is 'The Road Home' (2008).....

I also like Rose Tremain, have to agree "Music and Silence" very good, but enjoyed "Restoration " even more. Really good historical research and very interesting characters.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:19 pm 

I've just finished reading Sarum by Edward Rutherford. I'm going to start reading Mist over Pendle again.

I love Mist Over Pendle its based on fact but with a bit of fiction mixed in to keep it interesting

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:25 am 

I am reading Jennifer Haigh's The Condition (2008).....it is a wonderful novel....following a dysfunctional New England family along their not too merry way !!!! Finished Rose Tremain's Trespass last week....sibling love...revenge....excellent !!!! What are other reading ? Anything good to recommend ????? Finished 'The Condition'.....and all ends ok for the dysfunctional family...sort of !! ....This novel is full of good bits....and I found myself recognizing my own family and our relationships in there...some good....some not so good....Jennifer Haigh is a fine writer....now onto Amy Greene's 'Bloodroot' (2010).....

Last edited by RickyM on Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:07 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

The bible! :idea:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:09 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Just finished reading "The Great Work" by Thomas Berry, after reading "The Nature of Design" by David Orr and "Home Economics" by Wendell Berry. Currently reading "Why Your World is About to Get a Whole Lot Smaller" By Jeff Rubin, with a quick three-hour sidetrack to re-read "Good Omens" by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:16 am 

"To be or to Have" by Erich Fromm.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:53 am 

A book of love and song.

Men came from MARS and WOMEN came from VENUS

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next