Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:57 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Racist quote
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:12 am 

"The two symbols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a big fat white guy who is threatened by change." - Seth MacFarlane

That gem showed up in my quotes of the day. Which I usually enjoy. That, however made me see red. I fired off a note to quotationspage Contact Us. Let me share it with you:

Quote:
Racist quote
When did you start publishing racist garbage? Sexist garbage? And start discounting people with high BMI?

Substitute Negro girl. Would you have published that?

Should I look forward to seeing quotes about fat lazy blacks and watermelons? Or maybe you do you have some standards and just missed on this one?

Yes, I tried mixing in other groups, but could not make it flow right. Maybe because I had anger induced tunnel vision. :x Comments? Is it OK to make fun of some groups but not others? Obviously I disagree with that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:31 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Don't you think it is Seth Macfarlane you should be attacking?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:51 pm 

Have you considered who the source is? He is a comedy writer/producer. If you watch the shows he produces, you will understand where the quote comes from. It isn't any worse than the verbiage that frequently comes from other places including Congress. :roll:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seth_MacFarlane

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:29 am 

Communicating with the original author is a separate undertaking, and probably a lost cause. :roll:

My issue here is with whomever selected the quote for publication. Publishing it gives credence to it and the author and thereby his views.

Neo-nazi hate groups are not quoted here, KKK spokesmen are not quoted here. They have a Constitutional right to speak. And we have the right to ignore them.

The quotations are edited for content and hate-speak is excluded currently. I'd like to see the line moved to protect me as well or removed so all discrimination is allowed. What I want is fairness.