Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:12 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:44 am 

Hi guys,

I am extremely pleased to have found this forum. I have visited this website frequently over the years, but for some reason I did not notice there was a forum!

I study philosophy and have a great interest in wisdom in general. Quotes have always fascinated me. I like how usually the length of a quote is inversely proportional to its power - in that sense it appeals to the imagination. I believe quotes are not often true or untrue. exaggerations, hyporboles..partial truths. I believe there are different functions of quotes and different intentions behind them. Sometimes it's to trigger you to take action, sometimes simply to make you re-think a topic. Certainly many quotes are not to be taken literally. I have one on my back: "If you can conceive it, you can achieve it." (Napoleon Hill). Does this mean anything you imagine you can simply achieve? Of course not. But the "validity" of this quote relates to the severe lack of belief in the power of the mind among many people. At least, that is how I see it.

I also have quite a lot of personal quotes, I thought it would be nice to share a few with you guys:

"In a world where pretense and dishonesty dominate, honesty and authenticity trigger suspicion. "

"Artists spend their lives getting things out of their imagination into reality in service of expression. "

"Love and Happiness contrast curiously: if you wonder if you're in love, you are. If you wonder if you're happy, you're not. "

Comments are welcome. :)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:58 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

I agree with everything you say but for the last line i have an objection. When you wonder if your in love it means that you have a portion of doubtfulness in your heart and your understanding of love have a leakage.

"You love someone because of a purpose by an understanding."
'By:Enoch Bernard.' :idea:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:53 am 

Well, like I said I think quotes are not always meant to be taken literally - or sometimes are an exaggeration. In the case of love, I think when love is slowly growing in one's heart without one realizing it, there may come a moment where a person contemplates: "Am I in love?" - and the answer then often can be yes. But certainly I agree it's not always how it goes. Still, I felt there was an interesting contrast to note it..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:28 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

I see the angle that you are looking at it from, anyways if you have any other quotes that you wrote i would be delighted to read it. Oh one more thing, you can check out some of my quotes i have posted, well that's if you want. :idea: