Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:21 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: We are born good
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:49 pm 

"In our society, the only reason we do good is because we are good"

I received this quote in my philosophy xam yesterday, and i was given the choice of either altering the quote or selecting a poitivist side or a naturalist side. So i was wondering what are your guys thought about this quote. Follow the rules though...dont start making up stuff...

I chose the naturalist side and gave numerous examples about jean-jacques Rousseau and his notion of man being born free.

Do you agree with the quote or disagree?

peace

Post subject: Re: We are born good
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:53 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

I agree, as long as you are not expecting anything in return for your good works. :idea:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:13 am 

I agree. It is correct also that we do that without expecting anything in return. We are good in nature..

Frank

Post subject: Re: We are born good
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:30 pm 

Enoch Bernard wrote:
I agree, as long as you are not expecting anything in return for your good works. :idea:

Well that's just the thing, isn't it? We do always expect something in return.. even if it's just the satisfaction of our own ego, the approval of our own thoughts, to feel a little bit better.

There is always a little candy in the other end.. and we'll sit, roll or even count to 5 for it.

Post subject: .
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:20 pm 

i want you to read this. it will explain and give new ideas to why we act the way we do. if you read the whole thing i guarantee the way you look at things will be altered.

http://deoxy.org/egofalse.htm

Post subject: Re: .
PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:06 am 

Divided wrote:
i want you to read this. it will explain and give new ideas to why we act the way we do. if you read the whole thing i guarantee the way you look at things will be altered.

Code:
"The first thing to be understood is what ego is. A child is born. A child is born without any knowledge, any consciousness of his own self. And when a child is born the first thing he becomes aware of is not himself; the first thing he becomes aware of is the other. It is natural, because the eyes open outwards"

..eye open outwards, from within. From itself. It all starts from within, because if it did not, there would be no outwards. That article or explenation or whatever you want to call it, is the biggest pile of jibbers I've read in a long time.. and it is conducted in a sence that you could almost believe it was written as 'cult material'. It treats the reader as an inbread, or infant.. the whole basis of the text is that the reader has no brains at all, and needs to be fed with a spoon.

Yes.. we only see whatever is outside our eyes, how come? they point outwards. Simple. Though, can we hear another humans mind? no. We can only _see_ their being, though, we can never look inside it. We can only objectify and recieve what it is projecting. Hence: All we can base our living on, is what our ego, our 'self', make from what we see. A film you should see, that explains 'ego' in a short and very logic way (also with experts, or PhD's if you'd like, explaining it).. is 'revolver'. Check it out, and get real.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:57 pm 

Luggruff wrote:
Divided wrote:

Code:
"The first thing to be understood is what ego is. A child is born. A child is born without any knowledge, any consciousness of his own self. And when a child is born the first thing he becomes aware of is not himself; the first thing he becomes aware of is the other. It is natural, because the eyes open outwards"

..eye open outwards, from within. From itself. It all starts from within, because if it did not, there would be no outwards. That article or explenation or whatever you want to call it, is the biggest pile of jibbers I've read in a long time.. and it is conducted in a sence that you could almost believe it was written as 'cult material'. It treats the reader as an inbread, or infant.. the whole basis of the text is that the reader has no brains at all, and needs to be fed with a spoon.

Yes.. we only see whatever is outside our eyes, how come? they point outwards. Simple. Though, can we hear another humans mind? no. We can only _see_ their being, though, we can never look inside it. We can only objectify and recieve what it is projecting. Hence: All we can base our living on, is what our ego, our 'self', make from what we see. A film you should see, that explains 'ego' in a short and very logic way (also with experts, or PhD's if you'd like, explaining it).. is 'revolver'. Check it out, and get real.

haha how is it a pile of "jibbers?" haha, and did you read the whole thing? it describes why we all strive for positive attention. and how old are you? cause you didnt spell explanation* correctly. oh, but revolver is a good movie.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:41 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Divided! I read that thing about the ego (THE FALSE CENTER) and to me it's nothing but the true... :idea:

Post subject: .
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:46 am 

haha glad to see your on my side. and its the most interesting thing ive ever read so hopefully it effects everyone else the same way.