Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:58 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:33 am 

A book the affected my life... "From Hell and Back" by Jane Nazrat!!!!!!!!! If you haven't read it yet, you need to; I'm serious, "it's all that and a bag of chips"!!!!!!!!!!!!

Check out the reviews on Barnes and Noble, to see what others are saying.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:12 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Ecclesiates and song of solomon from the bible that King Solomon wrote. He was one of the wiser men ever! :idea:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:11 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Hmm... I must be vague about this, I cannot recall all of the individual names, but... The Apochrypha, the banned books, almost all of them I've read. These books gave me a completely new view of religion, even going so far as to criticize the Bible itself...

"The sun rises every day. What is to love? Lock the sun in a box. Force the sun to overcome adversity in order to rise. THEN, we will cheer! I often admire a beautiful sunrise, but I will never consider the sun a champion for having risen."
Garth Stein

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:52 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:34 am 

Harry Potter series :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:09 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

*phoenix* wrote:
Harry Potter series :D

Hell yes. :mrgreen: 0

"The sun rises every day. What is to love? Lock the sun in a box. Force the sun to overcome adversity in order to rise. THEN, we will cheer! I often admire a beautiful sunrise, but I will never consider the sun a champion for having risen."
Garth Stein

Post subject: The Hobbit
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:07 pm 

When I am destressed or perhaps just looking for a beautiful novel I often turn to the Hobbit, yes, The Hobbit has affected me morally, socially, and strangley enough spiritually. I am thinking of times when I would sit in my bed and feast over riddles hearty songs and beautiful texts.

"If you look for truth, you may find comfort in the end; if you look for comfort you will not get either comfort or truth only soft soap and wishful thinking to begin, and in the end, despair."
~C.S. Lewis

Post subject: Re: The Hobbit
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:11 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

bibliothecae wrote:
When I am destressed or perhaps just looking for a beautiful novel I often turn to the Hobbit, yes, The Hobbit has affected me morally, socially, and strangley enough spiritually. I am thinking of times when I would sit in my bed and feast over riddles hearty songs and beautiful texts.

"If you look for truth, you may find comfort in the end; if you look for comfort you will not get either comfort or truth only soft soap and wishful thinking to begin, and in the end, despair."
~C.S. Lewis

The Hobbit... I remember that book... I loved it, though I found it dreadfully dull at times, though I do see what you mean.

Garth Stein

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:58 pm 

Another book I read that effected my life was Carson McCuller's great "Member of the Wedding".....the greatest coming of age story of them all....she turned it into a stage play and it was made by Fred Zinnemann into a fine film with the wonderful Julie Harris as Frankie.....this novel dealt with dreams about the possibilities of life !!!!! Carson knew heaps about all sorts of things I am thinking....

Last edited by RickyM on Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:47 am 

Frank Herbert's Dune. Even before I read the book, I was affected by the film adaptations and the quotations from the book posted all over the Internet.