Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:15 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:36 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

I learned that the world does not evolve around my thinking, knowledge and opinion only...What about you??? :idea:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:14 am 

A man cannot speak but he judges himself. With his will or against his will he draws his portrait to the eye of his companions by every word. Every opinion reacts on him who utters it. It is a threadball thrown at a mark, but the other end remains on the thrower’s bag. Or rather it is a harpoon hurled at the whale, unwinding, as it flies, a coil in the boat, and, if the harpoon is not good, or not well thrown, it will go nigh to cut the steersman in twain or to sink the boat.
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, Essays: “Compensation"

The essayist is a self-liberated man, sustained by the childish belief that everything he thinks about, everything that happens to him, is of general interest. He is a fellow who thoroughly enjoys his work, just as people who take bird walks enjoy theirs. Each excursion of the essayist, each new "attempt," differs from the last and takes him into new country. This delights him. Only a person who is congenitally self-centered has the effrontery and the stamina to write essays. There are as many kinds of essays as there are human attitudes or poses, as many essay flavors as there are Howard Johnson ice creams. The essayist arises in the morning and, if he has work to do, selects his garb from an unusually extensive wardrobe: he can pull on any sort of shirt, be any sort of person — philosopher, scold, jester, raconteur, confidant, pundit, devil's advocate, enthusiast.
~ E.B. (Elwyn Brooks) White, The Essays of E.B. White

Post subject: reply to thenostromo
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:39 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

WOW! You learned alot for the day. I admire that. Today i learned that old knowledge to one is new knowledge to another... :idea: