Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:24 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:14 pm 

I've spent many evenings and lazy weekends searching through quotes. It's my own personal treasure hunt of sorts. Untold nights searching through the vast compilations of countless sayings, spoken or scribbled down by some figure of note, that is deemed to hold enough merit to pass through the ages. For the most part I've found it an amusing past time often unearthing clever anecdotes or even occasionally a meaningful epigram that holds a deeper denotation. Recently however, I've found that I'm truly scraping the bottom of the barrel. I've picked the greatest minds of history for their most noteworthy sayings and even those not seen by the casual onlooker. My search has taken me through the works of published authors and anonymous writers alike, and one simple truth remains through all of my dredging, there is no perfect quote. There is no one saying that will capture your thoughts, it's the shortcoming of our human language, and communication is imperfect. When it comes down to it language really makes a wonderful mess of things, all you need to do is observe the countless numbers of misunderstandings and shortcomings of spoken and written word to realize how crude it is.
I think here the adage "actions speak louder than words" couldn't possible be truer. We will never be able to convey what we mean, not perfectly, our best bet is to show what we mean. If you want the perfect quote about love then you must simply love someone to the best of your abilities. If you want the perfect quote about wisdom you simply must portray wisdom as best you can. It's true that our actions will never be perfect; we still won't be able to show what we want without some loss in translation. However if we are able to show someone love, if we are able to show someone true wisdom, can you imagine a more perfect portrayal? So, with my hobby and quest reaching the apex of their existence I've found myself in an enviable position. I've found my voice, and it's not a voice at all, it's my life. Every second of every day is another line written out for those willing to read it. So I leave you with one last quote, my quote, its imperfect but it contains the sum of all things I've learned to this point: "Live loud, every moment is another line waiting to be written, make sure it's something worth being read."

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:50 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Spoken as a quotemaster and not a new member. Truly spoken from the heart. Oh i think you should check out my topics and repies and feel free to ask??? :idea:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:24 am 

Oh how gravely wrong you are in the base of your search.. for example, these two:

-"If you want the perfect quote about love then you must simply love someone to the best of your abilities."
-What? You have to do your best in loving someone, to get the perfect quote about love? I really don't see the logic in that. Love all you want, you ain't gonna create a more or less perfect quote based on that.

-"simple truth remains through all of my dredging, there is no perfect quote."
If you were searching for a perfect quote (and as it seems..) for everything to be summoned up in one quote, stop, stop and stop!
-Never, ever, say there is no perfect quote! There is, and they are many. The thing you seem to fail in seing is that a quote can often only address one thing, and that is what it is meant to do. And in that one address alone, it can be perfect.

What your search seems to be about, reminds me so much of the regurarly question (quoted):
-"Is there really such a thing as TRUE love?" -Many unmotivated and much too eager people around the world.
And the answer to that question is:
"There are such a thing as true love, but thinking it means eternal or single love, is to not understand the meaning of the words you're asking" -Me, now, in the moment of explenation.

People seem to be asking the wrong questions, so no wonder the right answer never appears to them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:53 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Spoken wisely. Do you write?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:11 pm 

..from post to post d: (if you meant me)

the topic of my own submitted quote is about words, though they are yet to be revealed to the greater scale.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:45 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Is it finish writen?; if yes i was hoping you can send me it or inform me more about it. :idea:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:53 pm 

Finished, yes. It's been submitted two times through two years to the quotationspage, so hopefully it will be out there some day, even if just under contributions. Til then I'll wait.. sorry (:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:39 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

ok then i will look out for it. :idea: stay wise!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:57 pm 

gtguy22 wrote:
I've spent many evenings and lazy weekends searching through quotes. It's my own personal treasure hunt of sorts. Untold nights searching through the vast compilations of countless sayings, spoken or scribbled down by some figure of note, that is deemed to hold enough merit to pass through the ages. For the most part I've found it an amusing past time often unearthing clever anecdotes or even occasionally a meaningful epigram that holds a deeper denotation. Recently however, I've found that I'm truly scraping the bottom of the barrel. I've picked the greatest minds of history for their most noteworthy sayings and even those not seen by the casual onlooker. My search has taken me through the works of published authors and anonymous writers alike, and one simple truth remains through all of my dredging, there is no perfect quote. There is no one saying that will capture your thoughts, it's the shortcoming of our human language, and communication is imperfect. When it comes down to it language really makes a wonderful mess of things, all you need to do is observe the countless numbers of misunderstandings and shortcomings of spoken and written word to realize how crude it is.
I think here the adage "actions speak louder than words" couldn't possible be truer. We will never be able to convey what we mean, not perfectly, our best bet is to show what we mean. If you want the perfect quote about love then you must simply love someone to the best of your abilities. If you want the perfect quote about wisdom you simply must portray wisdom as best you can. It's true that our actions will never be perfect; we still won't be able to show what we want without some loss in translation. However if we are able to show someone love, if we are able to show someone true wisdom, can you imagine a more perfect portrayal? So, with my hobby and quest reaching the apex of their existence I've found myself in an enviable position. I've found my voice, and it's not a voice at all, it's my life. Every second of every day is another line written out for those willing to read it. So I leave you with one last quote, my quote, its imperfect but it contains the sum of all things I've learned to this point: "Live loud, every moment is another line waiting to be written, make sure it's something worth being read."

I agree and fully understand what you mean. writing down what you feel can be done, but for a reader to fully understand and be able to experience what you are trying to express perfectly is impossible.

Post subject: quotes
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:11 am 

quote says a lot, which says a lot about you. nice