Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:51 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:39 am 

Overall, I would say most of them never come out as good as the book. But, I guess it's the curiosity that killed the cat...I just have to see what their like!

I think they did a pretty good job with Twilight...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:48 am 

I agree that usually they are not as good as the novel, but every once in a while they'll do a great job. Any movies come out recently, besides Twilight that were good?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:57 pm 

yup.. never liked a movie more than the book... i think they get compromised when making movies... where as in novels the author can dig as deep as he can and create a picture...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:58 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

I don't mind... I just know not to expect as much from the movie as I did for the book.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:07 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Lord of The Rings was better as a movie. So was "Into The Wild" and "Jarhead".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:49 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Eh, my personal opinion is that LOtR was better as a book, but that's only b/c I was raised by a librarian mother... Almost always the books are better, there have been a few better movies, but very few in my opinion...

"The sun rises every day. What is to love? Lock the sun in a box. Force the sun to overcome adversity in order to rise. THEN, we will cheer! I often admire a beautiful sunrise, but I will never consider the sun a champion for having risen."
Garth Stein

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:27 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

I have to say that I liked LOTR better as a movie, I could not get myself to read through all the books.

I do not mind when they make movies from books. I usually get excited to see a movie about a book I read and enjoyed even though I know it will not be the same as the book. In most cases the books are usually better but I still think it is interesting to see the movies.

What makes me mad is when a book I want to read comes out as a movie before I had a chance to read the book and than I want to see the movie too. Becasue usually I prefer to read the book before seeing the movie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:58 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

I agree fully to that, Romeo... I'm thinking this is going to happen to me with Angels and Demons, I doubt I can finish the book before the movie is released, and I've already promised my girlfriend we're seeing it the day it comes out... :roll: She can be such a henderance to my peaceful activity-free lifestyle sometimes, but at least she is my excuse to not be lonely forever :D

"The sun rises every day. What is to love? Lock the sun in a box. Force the sun to overcome adversity in order to rise. THEN, we will cheer! I often admire a beautiful sunrise, but I will never consider the sun a champion for having risen."
Garth Stein

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:39 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Hehe yeah a few weeks or so ago I started Angels and Demons to try and finnish it before the movie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:48 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Wow, I checked it out of the library yesterday, this is really good, I couldn't stop reading until midnight last night :P I'm almost done already...

Garth Stein

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:41 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

i thought da vinci code was better as a book, tom hanks just isn't the Langdon i imagined...
I hope the Angels and demons movie is much better, i enjoyed the book even more than da vinci code

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:25 pm 

Mostly I do not like the films that are made from books I have enjoyed. I recently read Margaret Mitchell's Gone With The Wind for the first time. The famous film now 70 years old is not a patch on that good book. Vivian Leigh is not how I envisaged Scarlett to be. Hattie McDaniels was far too young to be Mammy and Leslie Howard was badly cast as Ashley, far to whimpy ! Alice Hoffman is another great writer who has been badly served by Hollywood....Practical Magic was a lovely book and a bad film.....and so on and so forth...there are lots of exceptions of course....A Tree Grows in Brooklyn... Member of the Wedding and Barry Lyndon are great novels and had great films made of them...but Elia Kazan...Fred Zinnemann and Stanley Kubrick were master film makers and totally faithful to their source !!!! This is not usually the case however. Evelyn Waugh's Brideshead Revisited was recently made into a film...it was not very good... but the TV series of 1981 was very faithful to the great novel and made with loving care... We should read the good books and not bother with films most of the time I am thinking....