PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:54 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

I can't be alone in this thought.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:15 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

It doesn't bother me that practically every teenage girl I know is in loves with these books, it really doesn't. I understand that every person likes to pretend that they're loved by someone beautiful; Even I have have overly romantic and wildly unrealistic notions about what the girl of my dreams would be like. What bothers me is that the girls who read Twilight somehow manage to confuse it with real literature. What really bothers me is how my English teacher makes the same mistake.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:06 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Notice my raised hand from the land of ostracized teen girls? Yeah that would be me agreeing with you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:50 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

No you are not alone.

I hate Twilight as a long time Vampire Affinanado, and the fact that I find the books a disgrace to the vampire culture, and Stephene Myer making Vampires a fad so every moronic teenager is running around like little vampire wanna-bes.

I mourn the days of Anne Rice.

And the fact the Meyer is a crap writer, where as Rice was highly talented

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:57 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Romeo wrote:
No you are not alone.

I hate Twilight as a long time Vampire Affinanado, and the fact that I find the books a disgrace to the vampire culture, and Stephene Myer making Vampires a fad so every moronic teenager is running around like little vampire wanna-bes.

Until you try to read the verbal diarhea excreted in her "Beauty" books written under the pseudonym, A.N. Roquelaure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:06 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Romeo wrote:
No you are not alone.

so I take it you read the book?

i read it, only to find out what the hype was about. didn't think it was that bad, i'll get the others from the library just to see what happens, i find it difficult to start a series and not read all the books.

But i guess it's a typical teenage romance, and the utter unreality of it is what makes it so delicious to young hormonal girls... and the odd boy...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:48 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

The odd boy being my older brother. I sometimes wonder about him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:53 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Like Jen, I read Twilight to see what it was like, could hardly bear to finish and will not read more as to me it is very very boring. It is hard to judge as it is directed at young teenage girls, and so must appeal to them as it is romance with a twist.

Agree with others here that if you compare it with Anne Rice's Vampire series, especially the early ones, it is just pathetic.

However, Anne Rice was definitely not directed at teenagers and I don't honestly think that a 13 year old would fully appreciate or understand the various themes and overtones in the Anne Rice Vampire books.

It is an unfair comparison, like comparing a Disney version of the Hunchback of Notre Dame with the real book.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:19 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

If it was only 13 year olds reading it it wouldn't bother me all that much. It's the fact that my 17 year old friends, my 19 year old brother, my 30 year old teacher; all love twilight. To quote my friend Briannia "It will change your life".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:46 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

This may be of interest - explains probable reason for the "dumbing down" of vampires in the Twilight series

http://www.abc.net.au/unleashed/stories/s2448200.htm

- if you have time to run through the comments they're interesting too..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:28 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

I personally thought the books were pretty good. Yes they had a lot of writing errors and yes the themes in the book might not be so great, but the thing about the books is that there's something else about the books beside a vampire and a girl falling into a love that should be forbidden because of the danger, its the little things in the book that make you have butterflies in your stomach.... I'm not very good at explaining what I mean... but yea I thought the books were pretty good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:50 pm 

The Twilight books suck and blow at the same time I mean there is nothing on earth that is stupider I read the first three pages and was ready to gouge my eyes out i also have a problem with the misinformation it spreads to the general populace i mean it is a bunch of hogwash that vampires can only be killed by cutting them up and throwing them in a fire that is a bunch of BS[/quote]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:31 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

gumtree wrote:
However, Anne Rice was definitely not directed at teenagers and I don't honestly think that a 13 year old would fully appreciate or understand the various themes and overtones in the Anne Rice Vampire books.

That may be true, but it was when I was a teenager that I started reading Rice, and honestly I do not think even as a teenager would I be able to stomach Meyer, as when I was in highschool I was reading more high quality liteature

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:06 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

strikeeagle84015 wrote:
The Twilight books suck and blow at the same time I mean there is nothing on earth that is stupider I read the first three pages and was ready to gouge my eyes out i also have a problem with the misinformation it spreads to the general populace i mean it is a bunch of hogwash that vampires can only be killed by cutting them up and throwing them in a fire that is a bunch of BS

Wow. If you want to criticize a piece of literature then you would do well to improve your own writing skills.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:27 pm 

twilight is a good book - however, the hype is annoying. the books dont live up to the hype and neither does the film. i read them before they were famous, and beleive me, if you'd read them then you would have enjoyed them more.