Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:17 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Not from the Bible
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:59 pm 

I am interested in quotes that are mistakenly attributed to the Bible. An example might b, "Cleanliness is next to godliness". Any advice on how to proceed.

Post subject: Bible Quotes
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:25 am 

I believe another one is, "Let go, and let God."

Janio

Post subject: ... and
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:26 am 

... and another is, "Money is the root of all evil."

It's not money, but the love of money.

Janio

Post subject: Re: Not from the Bible
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:38 pm 

4107 wrote:
I am interested in quotes that are mistakenly attributed to the Bible. An example might b, "Cleanliness is next to godliness". Any advice on how to proceed.

I believe you have already "proceeded". :P

I don't know of a better way than starting a topic for just this and letting them pile up. I suppose another way would be cruising christian forums (which means you have to sign up and become a member there) and looking for "quotes" that seem to have no origin or people say "I think it's in Revelations" or whatever or there is no book, chapter and verse to be attributed to it.

Seems the long way around. I'd rather just post similar posts like this at forums like that, and cull from those to put in one spot.

That is, if you're that energetic or enthusiastic about it. :)

Post subject: Re: ... and
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:15 pm 

Janio wrote:

Janio

Are you saying Money is the root of all evil is mistakenly quoted in the
Bible? If so then look in 1 Timothy 6:10 (KJV) For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

Post subject: Re: ... and
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:31 am 

siouxfan wrote:
Janio wrote:

Janio

Are you saying Money is the root of all evil is mistakenly quoted in the
Bible? If so then look in 1 Timothy 6:10 (KJV) For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

I believe the point is finding 'supposed quotes' from the bible that are not actually IN the bible. Therefore, the misquotation counts as one that is oft attributed to the bible, when, in fact, the bible has no such writing. It is the love of money that is the root of all evil as stated in the bible. Just because I happen to agree with that particular statement, doesn't change the fact that many people believe otherwise: case in point, my son believes it is just money, not love or hate of it, which is the "evil". Personally, I think that's removing our own accountability and trying to blame things on objects when, in fact, our own attitudes are at fault. (It is easy for me to see it this way as I have had no love of money, so I'm biased.)

That said ... I can't make my son or anyone else believe different, so I just tell them they cannot attribute that "quote" to the bible; rather it is their own philosophy, unless they can find some other text to attribute it to. It is not the same sentiment or idea, since the verb (love) is absent with only the direct object (money) being focused on, as though it had a life of it's own.

I hold that since people insist on this (that money is the root of all evil), they cannot attribute that sentence, no matter how "quoted", to the bible. Is is a misnomer.[/i]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:16 pm 

It is the topic that made me keep on is about the "love of money". Well, truly that if you will love money, it will make your world turn around in loving and adoring the money. As the Holy Book says that money is a worldly Master because, instead of praising the God, people still use even nights and Sundays in looking for income.