Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:46 am 

I have read just about True Crime, and Romance. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:02 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

potterpoet357 wrote:
I like fantasy too, but i also like realistic fiction. If you like fantasy, you should deffinately read Harry Potter series and Twilight series. They are Terrific!

I don't care much for harry potter, but the Stephanie Meyer books are amazing. I'm a lot like Bella, though a lot of girls are so that's nothing special.

Quote:
Actually there is this one book I read a little bit ago called the Book Theif by Markus Zusak, it is set in Nazi germany about this little girl who was adopted by these two people before and during WW2. by the end of it I was crying. it was so sad and amazingly written. It cut off everything perfectly and has given me a new outlook. on what i'll leave to you when you read it. ALL of it.

I bought that book a few months ago and I haven't yet finished it (It keeps getting lost) I am glad to hear it's good!

Now anyway, I like reading true crime and mystery books the best, and some history/historical fiction. I hate romance books, but if I don't think it will be one I get hooked before i realise it's a romance and then it's too late, I have to get to their happily ever after.

Ah I butchered that sentence. Hope it made sense.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:14 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

I like reading memiors, like Angila's Ashes, or Black Boy. I think what draws me to them are the intensly personal, emotional storys found in the lives of great men. The same thing lures me to fantasy and sci-fi which (When it's not compleat trash,) is often idelistic and presents a darkly romantic picture of the world. I think those stories are universal and make up the backbone of all great art, from Rescue me to Notes From Underground to Battlestar Galactica.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:41 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

angelas ashes was good i read it last year in 9th grade
i found this great quote on photobucket about books if i find it again ill repost & i dont really have a choice or prefence in books anything i can relate to or that holds my attention is all the same worthy as any other book, but if it teaches me something then its special so i cant really pick a genre
have any of you read the little prince? im pretty sure thats the title or something close to it
it sounds like a little kids book but believe me this book is great i dont think im ever going to forget it :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:36 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

And now here is my secret, a very simple secret; it is only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye.

-Antoine de Saint-Exupery (<i>The Little Prince</i>)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:16 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Its my secret as well ... thanks for revealing out :)

Libra.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:41 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

i love that quote
&& if you havent read the book you really should there is alot of great quotation material in that book

I was thinking about how disjointedly time seemed to flow, passing in a blur at times, with single images standing out more clearly than others. And then, at other times, every second was significant, etched in my mind.
-Stephenie Meyer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:13 pm 

I like fantasy a lot too. It's pretty much every other genre and the things that make them great plus magic/unicorns/etc.

But, Twilight?

Sorry to anyone (and there are many of you) who liked it, but I thought it was kinda horrible. The beginning was very promising and I had high hopes for it...but, just not my cup of tea I guess.

Although I think I will gather up my courage and read the other two. I want to know if the things that made me hate Twilight had a purpose or if they were just shitty plot advancements and if I seem to have a completely different idea of what an exciting romantic relationship between two people (or heck, a supernatural being and a girl) are.

Whoo, sorry 'bout that. /rant

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:36 pm 

I guess I read a little bit of everything but I really enjoy the Classics, Mystery, and Romance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:15 am 

I don't really have one genre that I stick to....I read anything that I think I will find enjoyable. I am currently into Historical Fiction, specifically books by Phillipa Gregory (The Other Boleyn Girl, The Constant Princess, The Virgin's Lover, ect.).

I love Horror (Stephen King and Richard Laymon are my top Horror Authors) and anything that has to do with vampires :evil:. I'm not really into Chic Lit or Romance novels, but I do enjoy a Nora Roberts every now and again...and Chic Lit is good to read in between "heavy" books.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:07 pm 

I like to read Philosophy (very hard to find) and Comedy; a refreshingly good mix. Like the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:47 am 

Sometimes I like Comedy (Terry Pratchett is great, for example), although I find a lot of books in this genre kind of annoying.
I also really like Historical Fiction.
But my favourite genre is Fantasy.

Quote:
the Stephanie Meyer books are amazing. I'm a lot like Bella, though a lot of girls are so that's nothing special

I loved the Twilight series too. I think it's pretty ironic that so many girls (including me) feel that we're so like Bella, since one of the most important parts of her character is that she always feels so different to other girls.

Quote:
I want to know if the things that made me hate Twilight had a purpose or if they were just shitty plot advancements and if I seem to have a completely different idea of what an exciting romantic relationship between two people (or heck, a supernatural being and a girl) are.

I hate to say it, since I like the series, but . . . I completely agree. (About the romance, not the shitty plot. :) ) Edward and Bella obviously love each other, but it's not the kind of relationship I could ever be happy in.

Sorry to go on about Twilight. But none of my friends have read it, so I haven't had anyone else to say this to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 10:56 pm 

I really enjoy history books. Not fiction either, true history books, not just textbook ones though. Profiles of great Americans always excites me as well as the history of our country that is less know.

My favorite books though are Fahrenheit 451, Brave New World, Clockwork Orange, The Martian Chronicles, 1984, Mother Night and Slaughter House V (The Childrens Story).

I like books that take a look at society and government I guess.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:04 am 

Romeo wrote:
I have read just about any type of book there is, the only books I really do not like genreally are True Crime, or Crime Fiction, and Romance.

What I really love, is Histortical Fiction

You're like my mum when it comes to the True Crime. Personally, I couldn't care less about that, but I'm all for any type of Fiction and Fantasy... oh and Sci-Fi. I also enjoy immensely anything Historical, whether it's a documentation in written form or a Fiction novel-turned-movie. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:42 pm 

i guess my favourite type would be fantasy...i enjoyed the 'His Dark Materials Trilogy' along with the 'Bartimaues Trilogy' which was also a comedy.

Anything that makes me laugh or make my jaw drop into a 'oh that did not just happen' look.