Still going past me in the street.
And does it not seem hard to you,
When all the sky is clear and blue,
And I should like so much to play,
To have to go to bed by day?

The questions ask that :
1. Tell why it appeals to you
2. Mention wyas you would share this poem with a child
3. Explain how that verse helps a child understand the world around him/her.

Can anyone help me with that and this what i got so far but i don't think my grammar is correct though.

I felt like this verse meant to the children was sick in the summer time and he want to play with his friend as he usually do. But he had to stay in the bed all day and all night until he get better. That make him feels sad. I would read this poem to a child at night time and tell a child that if you are not listen to their parent for example if parent tell the child to wash your hands when your hands are dirty before you put some food in your month that will cuase you sick and you cannot go out to play with your friend like the poem mentioned. This verse will help the child to understand easily because the rhyme at the end; In winter I get up at night And dress by yellow candle-light.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:25 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Hello Evonnova
Welcome to the forum, that is a great poem for children and you have thought of a very good explanation to give a child.

Here is another way of thinking about it. That poem was probably written in the UK or North America, somewhere much nearer the North pole than you are.
In those countries, in the summer, it stays daylight until 9pm or 10 pm at night, long after younger children are put to bed. So, they have to try and go to sleep when they don't think it's really night. They can't understand why everyone is still about outside and they have to be in bed.

In those countries, in the winter, it gets dark as early as 3pm or 4 pm just as they come home from school, so when bedtime comes at say, 7pm, it's easily "night time" and they don't mind going to bed. BUT, it's still dark in the morning until about 9 am, so they have to get up and dress in the dark still.

It is better to say "make you sick" or "make you ill" rather than "cause you sick."

Good luck

GT