Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:27 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:21 am 

Do u think literature is alive and was not killed by mass media and TV?

I just want say that therez was a time when every educated man was connected to books but now there are so many ways to pass ones time or to get knowledge ...
What you people think that is literature is alive as it was before or it is killed by other medias.????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:24 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Personally, I can't find a pleasure but in holding my favorite book of my preference no matter what genre it might be at that time and keep reading and reading. T.V, cinemas and theatres are means of translating a visual images in motion to few parts of what the original reading could take you to.

Its in the T.V that the story is treated through the imagination of the director of the movie where he obliges you to figure characters as being presented in screens but when I read I paint pictures and roam with my imagination. I am the hero, the producer and the director of the whole action.

Thanks for the modern technology in facilitating life but the book would remain the original core of excellence - only for those apprehending the difference.

Libra.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:48 am 

Tnx libra for ur nice reply .. I still want more views about my question.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:14 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Literature is not dead-in-the water but it is my personal observation that I have read fewer books since the world wide web has mushroomed like an atomic explosion in the past few years. I also spend more time in the evenings watching DVD movies in stead of reading.

Ten years ago I would read a book about every week, mostly fiction. Now days I read less than one book per month and about 80% of the books that I read are non fiction. I try to make a point to read one classic American Novel each year. In 2006 I read Moby Dick and in 2007 I read the Scarlet Letter. I haven't decided on a classic for 2008 but I just finished reading The Eight.

I keep a book log of all the books that I read and the log dates back to 1993.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:31 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

G.A you mostly welcome.

Libra.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:33 am 
DedeKorkut
DedeKorkut

it is alive and will still be alive as long as i am alive...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:31 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

I had a rather heated argument with my brother about this topic last week, and I arived a the conclushion that yes, lit is still alive, and it always will be. People like to say that there are no true classics left, but I refuse to beleive that. Art is about the human spirit and communication, so as there are intelligent communicaters in touch with themselves and reality there will always be art.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:24 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

I believe that, so long as man walks the earth, literature will walk amongst man. Books are amazing sources of information, and the idiot box (so my mom calls it) will kill us all.

~Muse

~Albert Einstein

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:43 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

You can't just write off all TV as mindless, it's not all "Flavor Of Love"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:53 pm 

Literature is at the core of everything [education, music, entertainment, communication, propaganda, the internet and news] and so if it is dead so is everything else and vise versa.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:42 pm 

The-Holy-Dark wrote:
You can't just write off all TV as mindless, it's not all "Flavor Of Love"

It depends on how we interpret this question. All the works of literature that inspired generations of people remain the same inherently.Their value and people's opinions about them should be treated as two separate entities.The tastes of every new generation are subject to change and all those changes are governed by social and cultural changes. If the movie or the TV have come to occupy the most popular spot --- it does not mean literature has died out.It is more a change in tastes and lifestyles that people prefer to spend their leisure time watching the tube or a movie rather than reading books. Also literature thrives through some other genres like scripting. Yes, it ceases to be a part of a mass culture ----as it was in the Victorian middleclass home.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:42 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

no its not dead (this site and its members are living proof of the fact) ....a book can give you so much of that deep understanding...the way you interpret and learn from it is your own individuality....T.V or any other media can never be a substitute for literature.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:44 pm 

i think in some ways books are dead, but that the technology and what not is keeping the story alive. people just don't find the enjoyment in reading books anymore, but the fact that they don't have to look far for the story is decent compensation. I love Jane Austen but i am having issues finding the time to swallow down a book. i like not having to go far to find what the story is so i can make the decision of how soon i really want to read the book.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:00 am 

Well, the way this generation seems to preceive things, I'd say literature is "drowning". I mean, there's video games, iPods, computers, TVs, DVD players, cars, sex, work, and everything else in between... there's just "no time" for reading anymore. It's sad really, but to be perfectly honest and I account for only about 15% (pathetic, isn't it?) of the young adult population, I enjoy reading like no other pleasure.

Except that obvious one... :wink: lol