Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:02 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:43 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

I always find this to be a fun and intresting discussion.

What are you reading right now?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:32 am 

Romeo wrote:

8O some nice book.guess

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:22 am 

grim tuesday by garth nix.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:27 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Right now I am reading The Pillars of the Earth, by Ken Follett.

I am nearing the end of the book, and I have found it to be fascinating, though there are parts that are really hard to read becasue it is one of those stories where it seems like the heros/heroines of the book cannot seem to cut a break, and the villains seem to keep getting all the luck which can be maddening, but the characters are so vivid it really draws you into thier lives and strugges.

And I am reading the short story Sun, by D. H. Lawrence, so far it is intresting and it reads almost like poetic verse. Wonderful images and sensations.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 5:11 am 
DedeKorkut
DedeKorkut

I am reading a book written by a Turkish,Hüseyin Nihal ATSIZ...
It is "Ruh Adam", the Soul Man...The life of Selim Pusat...
It tells us the story of an idealist,a lover,a Military officier who lives in the memories of the Ancient Turks...

I think it is not translated to ur language,but search it,i recommend u to read it if u find...

"He had never retreated,never felt regret when running into the danger..."
Hüseyin Nihal ATISZ,introducing the Selim Pusat...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:29 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Quote: Right now I am reading The Pillars of the Earth, by Ken Follett.

Romeo, Follett's new book, World Without End, is the sequel. I rate The Pillars of the Earth as one of my favorites, probably because I've had an interest in the Middle Ages since I was a teenager. The people in that book were fascinating to me.

But right now, I'm finishing up Robert B. Parker's Now and Then.

Mahatma Ghandi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:55 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Thanks of the heads up, I love this book and I will be on the look out for that one

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:30 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Romeo wrote:

Reading your mind ...

Libra.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:00 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

I saw this on another forum I belong to and it seemed like a fun idea, so I thought I would add it as another compnent to this discussion.

1. author + title
2. why u desided to read the book
3. first sentence in the book
4. page u are on
5. what u think of the book till now

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. The Viking by Edison Marshall
2. I am big fan of histocial fiction, and it sounded interesting, and I have always been interested in the age of the vikings, so I thought I would pick it up.
3. You could not beleive that a youth in an ironneck ring would know how to laugh.
4. 192
5. So far I am enjoying the book, though there are parts of it that are a bit difficult or tedious to read. Overall it has been an intresting story and I am liking it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:47 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

1. America Alone by Mark Styne
2. I stumbled upon Styen (a conservative libertarian) on youtube. He was criticizing liberals and multiculturalism and I felt he made some really good points+he has a sense of humor, so I bought his most current book.
3. All rights reserved.
4. 31
5. Already after reading into only the second chapter, Styne brings up some really interesting demographics that tell us that, despite what some environmentalists may say, our developed world is in a major population decline (you need 2.1 births per woman for stable population, which is where America's at). First to go will be Russia (1.2, they abort 70 percent of pregnancies, men only live to see 58, etc.), Spain (1.1), and then Italy (1.2). And Japan (1.3) is declining as well. Plus, for every 100 girls born in China, there are 119 boys. (he even jokes that a dating program should hook up Russian woman with Chinese men) I guess what I like about this book so far are the interesting demographics, and Styne's sometimes laugh-out-loud takes on them.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:15 pm 

1. Eckhart Tolle, "A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life's Purpose"

2. I was drawn to this book through Oprah's Book Club. It's her current selection. I was captured by the author's intent: to "show readers how to awaken to a new state of consciousness and follow the path to a truly fulfilling existence." (quote from back cover)

3."Earth, 114 million years ago, one morning just after sunrise: The first flower ever to appear on the planet opens up to receive the rays of the sun." (my thought: How many of us have ever contemplated the first flower to ever bloom?)

4. Currently on page 42 (in chapter 2 - I have to finish this book by Sunday night because Oprah and the author are beginning webinar classes on the book Monday night at 9pm - what a great opportunity!)

5. This book is powerful and profound. I love how it forces me to look beneath the surface, not only within myself but in humanity (or, as Tolle calls it, the "collective consciousness") in general. Tolle effectively illustrates how our ego keeps us chained to materiality and keeps us from discovering who we really are. He doesn't say that material things themselves are bad--only when we attach our identity to them, which is so easy to do. This one is a page turner.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:35 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

1. People of the Fire, by Michael Gear and Kathleeon O'Neal Gear
2. It is the second book in a seris about Prehistoric America, I found the first book to be interesting and enjoyable
3. Pain twsited the old man's belly-the sensation that of a keenly flaked chert knife cutting his soul loose from his backbone.
4. pg. 306
5. I am enjoying it so far. There was one part, a sort of side story that is part of the larger story within the book that is quite interesting. And one of my faveorite parts of the book.

Post subject: Roman Fever
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:14 am 

I am reading now Roman Fever by Edith Warthon.
I have read lately so much: Daisy Miller, The Withered Arm, The signalman, The house of Usher, Young Goodman Brown. And Frankenstain...!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:47 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

I loved The House of Mirth by Warthon

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next