Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:58 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: D. H. Lawrence
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:39 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

I have a while back read the book Rainbow and now I am nearly down with Sons and Lovers and I have noticed that D.H. Lawrence has a very unique way of portraying human relationships that play a very perdomiment role in both these books, and I was currious if anyone else has read him, or knows anything about his personal life that can offer insight in the way he conveys the way people treat each other and the human emotion within intimate relationships.

In his books he has a very strong sense of this sort of Love-hate, of a relationship being a struggle of push and pull, with very strong highs, and very strong lows, and little peace and harmony, or little down time. The chars are often either very passionate with each other, or very cruel to each other.

There is little sweetness or tenderness, but it is chaos and battle when two chars are intimate with each other in his books. Sometimes it feels like he is exmaining relationships from the outside in, that is he is taking the inner feelings a person might have but keep restrained and exposing them.

I would be happy to hear any opinions and thoughts from anyone else whom is famillaer with his work on this issue, it is a subject of intrest to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:24 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

I've also read Sons and Lovers, although I admit I am hard pressed to recall much of it, perhaps I shall take a better look over it soon, though I don't remember it as being one of my favourite classics.

I do however much prefer his short stories and picked up a collection sometime back, I have never forgotten the short story of 'The Man Who Loved Islands' perhaps because of its simplicity but also doubtlessly due to way it makes one reflect upon our own lives.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:34 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Intresting, I will have to keep an eye out for that. Sons and Lovers I do not mind, I am enjoying it and I would say it is a pretty good read, though I must say, I liked Rainbow far better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:58 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Aldous Huxley has penned an essay upon D.H. Lawrence, titled the same. It's a good read, I've been told, but I decided to put off reading it until I'd read something written by Lawrence. I'm gonna read Sons and Lovers sometime. Do tell me how it goes. I had begun reading Lady Chatterley's Lover, and it seemed a fun read. But I couldn't complete it.

Aldous Huxley's 'Point Counterpoint' has a character named Philip Quarles who is modeled on Lawrence.

And Eternity in an hour.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:56 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Try The Man Who Died by d.h., short story about Christ surviving the crucifixion - like a Da Vinci Code from the 1930's; you never forget the sense of being in that context - densely evocative.

fishing-boat bobbing sea

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:51 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Sounds pretty intresting