Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:04 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Do You Listen to Books ?
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 3:58 am 

Since I am hooked on audiobooks for quite some time and have a huge collection, I just wanted to know if there are any audiophiles here ?
What are you listening to ? How important is the narrator for you ?
My favorite audiobook (at the moment) is Tobacco Road by Erskine Caldwell, read by Mark Hammer. He is perfect at this southern dialects (other books he read are by Faulkner, James Lee Burke, Lawrence Block, James Agee and the Inspector Rostnikov Novels by Stuart Kaminsky and lots of others). It is very sad that he died in february this year
Other great Narrators are Tom Stechschulte ( he narrated The Road by Cormac McCarthy - one of my alltime favorites)
Scott Brick ( In Cold Blood by Truman Capote and more than 200 other ones), Alan Sklar (some of the Matthew Scudder Books by Lawrence Block)... And other favorite Audiobooks:
The Devisl Dream by Lee Smith
The Old Man and the Sea (read by Donald Sutherland
Kate DiCamillo`s The tale of Desperaux read by Graeme Malcolm :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 4:55 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

I would like to get into audio books, for the car and my iPod, but they always seem to be on tape and my car dosn't even have a tapedeck. I usally prefer the voice(s) inside my head rather then narradors.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 1:58 am 

You can record the audiobooks to your computer and make the into mp3 files o you can transfer them to your iPod (I have a program by Magix called cleaning lab that`s just great for this job). nd there is audible.. :)

Post subject: Yep
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 6:38 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Yeah, I agree with The Holy Dark. I find it a lot easier to use the voice in my head than the voice of another but oddly enough, I find it hard to understand what im reading.

~Albert Einstein

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:32 pm 

My Mom and brother swear by the Harry Potter audiobooks to pass time on long road trips. I like Jim Dale's voice and the way he portrays the different characters. My Mom and brother enjoy them much more than I do; Jim's voice is so soothing that sometimes I fall asleep on the long road trip. But that's nothing against Jim Dale, of course.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:37 pm 

becs wrote:
My Mom and brother swear by the Harry Potter audiobooks to pass time on long road trips. I like Jim Dale's voice and the way he portrays the different characters. My Mom and brother enjoy them much more than I do; Jim's voice is so soothing that sometimes I fall asleep on the long road trip. But that's nothing against Jim Dale, of course.

i have all of them too, and he is the best!!! he has different voices for each character, and he does them to perfection.

to answer the person who started this thread, i love books on tape, i have my own library of them also, and the reader is very important to me. there is one that i've got where the reader pronounces woman as wooman and it drives me up the wall. most readers do a good job, though.

have you checked out the site that has bot for download? there are classics and i just snagged a mary roberts rinehart.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:43 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Boring car trips: hound of the baskervilles. The BEST!

I really liked that the first couple of princess diaries books were read by Anne Hathaway, I thought that was unbelieveably cool. And the next few books were okay, but the girl they used instead of Anne had a really whiny voice.

I love listening to anything by Meg Cabot. I like reading her books well enough, but listening to them is better for some reason. Especially if it's really late and you can't have your light on anymore or if you're brushing your teeth. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:49 am 

i don't know why, it doesn't make sense to me at all, but reading the book & watching the movie 'silence of the lambs' were both run of the mill for me. great book, good movie (hannibal cracks me up) but for some unknown reason i cannot listen to it on tape. it creeps me out. go figure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:57 am 

so....who reads hounds of the baskervilles?

some of my favorites are dolores claiborne (stephen king) read by frances sternhagen. (i love her)

strange highways (dean koontz)

the hideaway (dean koontz)

does anyone besides me like the unabridged versions? (must be or they surely wouldn't exist)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:55 pm 

For "kawol1" and anyone else who is interested: I think Mark Hammer's reading of "Tobacco Road" is simply amazing. He brings the characters to life so vividly that I could barely stop listening. His recent death is indeed a loss. By the way, his biography, which is available at the imdb web site, is quite interesting.
[/quote]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:14 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

"Do you listen to Books"

Just came to comment on the above statement from a pretty imaginative point of view and I repeat again "merely imaginative".

Yes, I think that when am drowning myself into a book I prefer to read .. I feel like talking to it as well as listening ... Isn't that whole communicative right equation. To listen then there must be another side talking and then vice versa.

I do communicate well when I fall into some alluring kind of books.

My imagination rules me now ...

Libra.

Post subject: Do you listen to books
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:55 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Love listening to books, doesn't replace reading them but really good when doing long boring jobs alone, like painting house; now audible means I can listen when out walking - for me prefer books to music.
I am lucky, can borrow CD's and taped books from library. My favourites are Lindsey Davis books about Marcus Didius Falco, read by Christian Rodska.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:44 am 

gumtree wrote:
Love listening to books, doesn't replace reading them but really good when doing long boring jobs alone, like painting house; now audible means I can listen when out walking - for me prefer books to music.
I am lucky, can borrow CD's and taped books from library. My favourites are Lindsey Davis books about Marcus Didius Falco, read by Christian Rodska.

hi gumtree! you are so right about listening while doing boring tasks, like washing dishes, dusting, any housework at all!!

if you find readers you like it helps. some could make the dictionary interesting, and some could ruin your favorite book. have you listened to any of the harry potter series? jim dale is a master at it.

what are the davis books on falco like?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:14 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Hi Iamsomisty

Falco is an "informer" in ancient Rome and solves mysteries there and in parts of the Empire, sometimes for Vespasian and his sons. The books are written with good information about the social conditions and events of the period, but they are really entertaining and funny too. Not at all hard going.

There are 18 books so far, but it is a good idea to try and start off with the first three - The Silver Pigs, Shadows in Bronze, Venus in Copper as they set the scene for Falco's personal life which is complex and amusing and also his friends and family who feature at various times.

I don't know how many are available for listening as I read most of them, and only got about five from my library on tape and disc. Guess you'd have to Google for your own particular localities.

Hope you and anyone else reading this tries the books and enjoys them as much as I do - let me know sometime if I've made new converts!

All the best

gumtree