Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:35 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:24 pm 

I have a few favorites...

"Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea ... and ideas are bulletproof." ~ V, from 'V for Vendetta'

"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in awhile, you might miss it" ~ Ferris Bueller, from 'Ferris Bueller's Day Off'

Those who hear not the music think the dancers mad ~ Chinese Proverb

Once the game is over, the king and pawn go back into the same box ~ Italian Proverb

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:06 pm 

The sea is everything. It covers seven tenths of the terrestrial globe. Its breath is pure and healthy. It is an immense desert, where man is never lonely, for he feels life stirring on all sides. ~Jules Verne, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea

“All the best stories in the world are but one story in reality -- the story of escape. It is the only thing which interests us all and at all times, how to escape.”
- Arthur Christopher Benson,

"To feel most beautifully alive means to be reading something beautiful, ready always to apprehend in the flow of language the sudden flash of poetry."
Bachelard, Gaston

"Never judge a book by its movie."
Eagan, J. W.

"The day will come when men will recognize woman as his peer, not only at the fireside, but in councils of the nation. Then, and not until then, will there be the perfect comradeship, the ideal union between the sexes that shall result in the highest development of the race."
—Susan B. Anthony

History is Herstory too.
anonymous

and, of course, the quote in my signature.

Post subject: Here are some of mine
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:28 pm 

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

"Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed." Storm Jameson

"All men and women are born, live suffer and die; what distinguishes us one from another is our dreams, whether they be dreams about worldly or unworldly things, and what we do to make them come about... We do not choose to be born. We do not choose our parents. We do not choose our historical epoch, the country of our birth, or the immediate circumstances of our upbringing. We do not, most of us, choose to die; nor do we choose the time and conditions of our death. But within this realm of choicelessness, we do choose how we live." Joseph Epstein

"True knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing." Socrates

"It seems my 'normal' and your 'normal' are two different things." Crim from .hackSign

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." Gandalf from Lord of the Rings

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:23 pm 

"And Hansel said to Gretel, 'Let us drop these bread crumbs so that together we can find our way home because losing our way would be the most cruel of things."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 4:58 am 
DedeKorkut
DedeKorkut

Look at my sig...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:04 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

The last temptation is the greatest treason: to do the right deed for the wrong reason.
T. S. Eliot

Life is like playing a violin in public and learning the instrument as one goes on.
Samuel Butler

Sometimes people carry to such perfection the mask they have assumed that in due course they actually become the person they seem.
W. Somerset Maugham

She had a pretty gift for quotation, which is a serviceable substitute for wit.
W. Somerset Maugham (1874 - 1965)

A wise man should have money in his head, but not in his heart.
Jonathan Swift (1667 - 1745)

If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave it to.
Dorothy Parker

"Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak, Courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen."
Sir Winston Churchill

An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.
Mahatma Gandhi

What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty or democracy?
Mahatma Gandhi

Death is the enemy. I spent 10 years of my life singlemindedly studying, practicing, fighting hand to hand in close quarters to defeat the enemy, to send him back bloodied and humble and I am not going to roll over and surrender.
Diane Frolov and Andrew Schneider

It is easier to stay out than get out.
Mark Twain

I like most of them because I would do well to remember them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:15 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

" Only men who walk the extra mile can go the distance "

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:56 am 

[size=18]:P Time is too slow for those who wait, too swift for those who fear, too long for those who grieve, too short for those who rejoice, but for those who love, time is eternity. :idea: [quote][/size][list][/url][/list][/quote]

Post subject: here's a funny one
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:40 am 

"Inside every old person there a young person, wondering what the hell happened."

:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:39 pm 

I kind of like a piece of what Al Gore wrote in an e-mail to everyone who had signed "The Pledge" on the website for Live Earth. Perhaps not an all-time favorite but really good anyway :)

"The climate crisis offers us the chance to experience what few generations in history have had the privilege of experiencing: a mission; a compelling moral purpose; a shared cause; and the thrill of being forced by circumstances to put aside the pettiness and conflict of politics and to embrace a genuine moral and spiritual challenge."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:13 pm 

I have thousands of favourite quotes.. everyday i got inspired with words that fit my mood and feed my spirit
these quotes..they inspire my daily do ^^

"Your philosophy is what you know, how you hold what you know, and how it affects what you do" --Jeff.Olson

"By wisdom a house is build, and through understanding it is established.Knowledge its room are filled with rare and beautiful treasure"

"Hey man! Hey listen, I was wondering if you might help me. 'Cause I'm in the bumper sticker business and I've been trying to think of a good slogan, and since you've been such a big inspiration to the people around here I thought you might be able to help me jump into - WOAH! Man, you just ran through a big pile of dog sh--!"
"It happens"
"What, sh--?"
"Sometimes" --Forest Gump :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:15 pm 

I have two favorite quotes and they're both from Voltaire. I chose them simply because of the the strong belief in freedom of speech and the satrical view on life.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

"It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:53 pm 

~ Quotes:

Humility does not mean you think less of yourself. It means you think of yourself less ~ Ken Blanchard

Little things are indeed little, but to be faithful in little things is a great thing ~ Mother Teresa

People forget how fast you did a job - but they remember how well you did it ~ Howard Newton

Learn from the mistakes of others. You can't live long enough to make them all yourself

The greatest test of courage on earth is to bear defeat without losing heart ~ Robert G. Ingersoll