Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:45 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:33 am 

I loved Wuthering Heights, Jane Eyre and Jane Austen's novels.
The worst book I have ever read was a book by Danielle Steel about a look alike who was actually a robot with great sexual skills... 8O Other great candidates for 'worst book' would be 'Pamela' by Samual Richardson or 'To the Lighthouse' by Virginia Woolf.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:37 pm 

The most boring book I have read would have to be The DaVinci Code. But I must say I love Jane Austen!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:46 pm 

as indicated by my name. i could neither read it nor give up reading it, which makes it suck huge time.

shakespeare is actually not bad in small doses. for the characters(especially the protags) really tell you how NOT to behave in a real world, and the plots are not bad at all as fairy tales. i'd say it's probably only as bad as ovid's metamorphosis.

davinci code isn't bad as a quickie on the bus. it gets dull when the third hour is being spent on it.

i don't really care for alexander pope's poetry(e.g. the rape of the lock). the rhymings are kinda awkward and the contents are boring. i'd say they are the worst i've read so far.

ah and old charles dickens bores me bad. although to be fair, one must say boring as they are, his stories are "good literature".

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:03 am 

I'll probably be lynched for saying this, but "Catcher In The Rye" was the most tedious book that I ever read. The guy's negativity and contempt for everyone wore on me to no end.

"Lord Of The Flies", now that is a great book

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:14 am 

Well, I'm reading The Adventures of Huckleberry Fin And...I'm really hating it. I know it's some American classic..but I just find no entertainment out of this book, haha. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 4:33 am 
Philosopher
Philosopher

Mes amis les humains ~ Bernard Werber
Good book

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:20 pm 

Quote:
I'll probably be lynched for saying this, but "Catcher In The Rye" was the most tedious book that I ever read. The guy's negativity and contempt for everyone wore on me to no end.

I understand what you mean. The first time I read it, I hated it.
That said, for some reason I picked it up again a few years later and liked it. The third time I read it, I loved it. I guess it just grew on me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:41 pm 

Romeo and Juliet. Probably because Romeo makes me SO MAD! and I HATED Little Women. But there are a lot of books that I got bored with and never finished, so I don't think it's fair for me to comment on them.
And for the record, I LOVE Jane Austen! She's one of my FAVORITE authors!!
And even though I know everyone is entitled to their opinion so I hate to beat down on anyone, but OH MY GOD! how can you hate Catcher in the Rye? I LOVE that book!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:18 am 

As an expatriate, Dutch to be precise, I don't know if this book is published it other languages, but I really loathed Max Havelaar by Multatuli. I hate the guy who wrote it and the way he writes makes me to want to eat my head!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:21 pm 

For me (sorry English Professors) it's Heart of Darkness. It almost killed me. I still shudder at the title when I see it written anywhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 5:45 pm 

shakespeare is not meant to be read; it's to be staged. i love his plots and wit.
try reading 'A Sentimental Journey'. i still can't finish it and i started ages ago. i've given up on it.
'heart of darkness' by joseph conrad is another one. of all the books i had to read i chose this one first cause i thought it's not thick so i can finish reading it fast. bad idea! i almost puke.
the old man and the sea is forgettable. did he catch any fish?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:22 am 

Catcher in the Rye - like the Emporer's New Clothes, I think none of the pro's are willing to admit it is a terrible read. As for Shakespeare, he is probably an acquired taste. His work becomes intelligent and funny after studying with a Shakespeare-phile. Without that, you really miss the point.

Post subject: Catcher in the Rye
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 3:27 pm 

Catcher in the Rye (for sure!) is a the worst. I swear to God, the whole time I just wanted to kick the sh-- out of Holden.

A close second, Women in Love by DH Lawrence. It makes me mad. When I would close the book and get up, I would be in a bad mood, irritable. It's both boring and badly written.

I always feel compelled to give Maugham another chance, after hating one book. But I keep going back and saying, Hm, maybe I'll like this one even though I hated the last three. But he always disappoints. The only reason I finish the books is because I won't put down a book until I'm interested, otherwise I'll never pick it back up. So for Maugham, he writes the whole thing like something is about to happen, it's just around the corner, and then you're on the last page and you feel outraged that you just wasted all your time.

-h$

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next