Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:12 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 11:24 am 

I think you should read clan of the cave bear, and if you like fantasy-like books Jaqueline Carey's book Kushiel's Justice has a lot of history put into it.
:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:03 pm 

As far as it may be allowed [lol], I would chime in with Harper Lee's To Kill a Mockingbird and Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby.

It's been since elementary school since I read it, but I do recall liking Wells's The War of the Worlds quite a bit as well.

Last edited by killthedevil on Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:37 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

The Outsider (or Stranger - depending upon the translation), Albert Camus

Harold Bloom's Genius

Dante's Inferno

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:11 am 

hannahem27 wrote:
I'm trying to put together a collection of books for my study - can anybody give me suggestions of what great novels I should include? So far I have Leo Tolstoy's War and Peace, and the whole of jane Austen's works. What else should I buy to read??? :P

the Fox of Maulen by Hans Hellmut Kirst

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:25 pm 

hannahem27 wrote:
I'm trying to put together a collection of books for my study - can anybody give me suggestions of what great novels I should include? So far I have Leo Tolstoy's War and Peace, and the whole of jane Austen's works. What else should I buy to read??? :P

You could add-Adam Smith,Thomas Friedman,Homer, A.Toffler to your collection. Be sure that you like the preface of their works cause its not of subject of manys' interest kinda books.

Post subject: Great Books
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:01 pm 

I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings, by Maya Angelou. It is the autobiographical telling of her childhood. Heartwrenching and inspirational!! I'm also a huge fan of her poetry. Especially the works included in the Phenomenal Woman collection: A Conceit, Touched by an Angel and much more

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:36 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

a_white771 wrote:
"In Search of Lost Time" by Proust
"Women and Men" by McElroy (if you can find it)
"The Rocognitions" by Gaddis
"The Golden Bough" by Frazer
"Ulysses/Finnegans Wake" by Joyce
"Against the Day" by Pynchon
All are thick books that look great on shelves, and if you have the patients to finish them they're all fairly interesting too.

Finnegan's Wake!? HA! nobody can read that book except joyce and Jesus.
If your interested in irish lititure try joyce's "A Portrait Of The Artist As A Young Man" or angila's ashes by frank McCourt. some other great eropean lit includes The Count of Monte Cristo, notes from the underground, crime and punisment. look around, you'll never want for good books.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:47 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

The-Holy-Dark wrote:
Finnegan's Wake!? HA! nobody can read that book except joyce and Jesus.

you're the one who has no patience, and i personally enjoy that book alot.

Post subject: 2 bits
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:15 pm 

so obviously finnegan's wake is something i need to pick up...

being a Tolkien fan, i would definitely have to recommend the Silmarillion. consider it the equal of Homer's Iliad. amazing. and epic.

a few others:

Anthem by Ayn Rand
Dragonlance Legends--a good fantasy trilogy (Time of the Twins, War of the Twins, Test of the Twins)
Kafka's complete works

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:54 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

i'm not saying it's impossible to read the book, i've read the book twice. it's just impossible to understand it compleatly. it was the world's first mindfuck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:55 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Don't ever read Joyce. He's the worst literature has to offer. But do read The Fountainhead. I doubt A White has personally even finished Proust, it looks more like a list of pretentious crap. I'll also second The Count of Monte Cristo: if you want to read a long book.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:49 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

If you have to patience, try to get through Moby Dick, the movie and notes and shortened versions really don't do it justice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:10 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Fish Are Quick wrote:
Don't ever read Joyce. He's the worst literature has to offer. But do read The Fountainhead. I doubt A White has personally even finished Proust, it looks more like a list of pretentious crap. I'll also second The Count of Monte Cristo: if you want to read a long book.

Well, it was a list of rather heavy reading. And if A White actually read all of those books and yet spelled "patience" as "patients", well, it doesn't seem likely. :roll: Anyone who had the intellectual capacity to read all of those books would no doubt know the difference.

I have the three volumes of Proust's A la Recherche du Temps Perdu, but I've never read more than the first chapter. However, that first chapter was fun to read as I can relate to that dreamy alpha state and how that state of mind is when we can often come up with some of our most interesting creative ideas.

Cdsg,
I read Moby Dick many years ago from cover to cover. I found it to be rather boring. However, de gustibus non est disputandum, right? :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:13 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

I just remembered this, read Gowthe's Faust. It's a really great work, and I found it to be pretty easy, part one at least. Don't bother with part two.
In other news, I've begun reading The Road by McCormac; It seems pretty good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:49 am 

I don't know some of these might have already been mentioned, but in my opinion....

Hamlet- Shakespeare it is probably the queen of all plays.

The Divine Comedy- Dante Alighieri (without hope we live on in desire :wink:)

The Stranger- Albert Camus a quintessential exisentialist writing.

The Brothers Karamazov- Fyodor Dostoevsky- particularly for the Grand Inquisitor chapter.

Beloved- Toni Morrison it is one of the best pieces of fiction recently

The Apology of Socrates- Plato Socrates may have not written anything but he is so important to philosophy that this account of him by his student has to be one of the greatest works.

Confessions Augustine- there are many philosophical and religious implications in this writing.

Candide- Volitare it has a very philosophical message.

Don Quixote- Miguel de Cervantes

Civil Disobedience- Henry David Thoreau I think this work was studied by Martin Luther King and Ghandi.
but.... Walden is also good. :?

Anyway I will probably think of some more, there are so many really great works out there. One Thousand and One Nights is also good too there are so many stories in there that we are all familar with today.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next