Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:13 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:19 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

At some time or other in their lives, if only for one moment, many people have wanted to die. Perhaps 15% of the poplulation? Maybe 25% ? More?
It's ok for them to commit suicide?

"Help yourself. God will help you" ( Aide toi. Dieu t'aidera. )

--- Joan of Arc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:00 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

As far as I am concered it is. If one chooses to take thier own life then that is thier choice to make and they certaintly should not be prevented just becasue another persons religous views says it is wrong to do so.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:33 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Think about this.

You know that you are dying. You know that you only have two months left, and you know what will happen during those two months. You will lose weight, your hair will fall out, your body will be in constant pain, no amout of drugs will be able to relieve the pain, and without medication your muscles spasm and wrench your body into painful positions, and you have NO CONTROL. You have no control over anything, you cannot move your hands, you cannot even control when you go to the bathroom. You know that even if you survive this illness you will be confined to a wheelchair, unable to do anything that once made life enjoyable for you. You will be forced to be dependant upon others, and you will need constant medical care. You want to end your life now, when you are still able to think, move, act on your own. You want to end your life while you can still enjoy it, because you don'w want your last memory on this earth to be of a nurse, a stranger, changing you, bathing you. No imagine how you would feel if you were told that you had no say in whether or not you would suffer those two months, because someone thinks it would make their god angry for you end your suffering. How would you feel?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:10 am 
Philosopher
Philosopher

joan_of_arc_friend wrote:
At some time or other in their lives, if only for one moment, many people have wanted to die. Perhaps 15% of the poplulation? Maybe 25% ? More?
It's ok for them to commit suicide?

If only 15-25 % of the population were stupid, then the world would be a much nicer place to live

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:37 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Unnil wrote:
If we aren't allowed to do with our own lives what we want anymore, then what is life worth? If the poor woman doesn't want to go on, she should be allowed to put an end to it whenever she wants

To a certain extent, i'd agree on this provided further that she knows not only the moral relevance but also the spiritual consequence of her choice. allowing people to live on their own terms is no different to those who decide their own death in such circumstances. the religious aspect of the issue must be left to her sole discretion but those who want to impose otherwise like me, might as well say prayers for a miracle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:04 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

I think putting people who are terminally ill and in a tremendous amount of pain through mental torture is worse then allowing them the option. I know I couldn't let someone live through that. And consider, if by some miracle they DO end up living, what sort of life is left for them?

Plus, I don't see how it's different from putting down an animal that is suffering. Oh yeah, that's right. WE choose to put the animal down and put it out of its misery; on the other hand, WE choose to let our LOVED ONES to go on suffering, in pain and addicted to morphine. Lucky them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:02 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Quote:
Plus, I don't see how it's different from putting down an animal that is suffering. Oh yeah, that's right. WE choose to put the animal down and put it out of its misery; on the other hand, WE choose to let our LOVED ONES to go on suffering, in pain and addicted to morphine. Lucky them.

That is becasue Christians do not belive that aniamls have a soul, so they do not really care if an animal dies or not they do not vaule the life of the animal as being worthy or important.

But if a person takes thier own then thier soul will be dammed forever, and that is the only thing that matters to them, reguardless of what the personal beleifs of the individual who is acutally having to suffer through it might be.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:06 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Not necessarily. In Genesis 9: 4 it states that God gives permission to man to eat the flesh of animals, but not the blood - he says blood is the 'life thereof', which suggests soul.

And Leviticus 17: 11,12 and 13 -
For the life of the flesh is in the blood: and I have given it to you upon the altar to make an atonement for your souls: for it is the blood that maketh an atonement for the soul.

12Therefore I said unto the children of Israel, No soul of you shall eat blood, neither shall any stranger that sojourneth among you eat blood.

13And whatsoever man there be of the children of Israel, or of the strangers that sojourn among you, which hunteth and catcheth any beast or fowl that may be eaten; he shall even pour out the blood thereof, and cover it with dust.

So that argument is invalid. Sorry. In God's eyes, according to this, wasting the meat of an animal would still be a sin - check out the rest of Leviticus 17.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:08 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

That may be what it says in the bible but that is not what is genreally practiced, the majority if not all of the Christains I have had any encounters with are of the beleief and practice that aniamls have no soul and that humans are the only living beings which do have a soul.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:32 pm 
Philosopher
Philosopher

There is one difference between the animal and the human that does make a difference, and that is conscience. I can give scientifical proof for that, but that would be too complex for you to understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:55 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

This is quite complicated. for all intents and purposes, we can't possibly know whether animals have souls and who knows, maybe they too discuss the same thing about us.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:20 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Romeo wrote:
That may be what it says in the bible but that is not what is genreally practiced, the majority if not all of the Christains I have had any encounters with are of the beleief and practice that aniamls have no soul and that humans are the only living beings which do have a soul.

Unfortunately, generalities and the 'written law' through the Bible are the only evidence to grasp in a case like this. As in many Christian based religions, the standard is the individual 'take-away' practise and leads to inconsistencies within the religion.

I should like to know what religion they are and how they base their belief. But then again, the Bible is only a book. A suggestion of 'rules' for followers to pick up and put down whenever one feels necessary. Or, as my husband says 'when it suits the purpose'.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:36 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Unnil wrote:
There is one difference between the animal and the human that does make a difference, and that is conscience. I can give scientifical proof for that, but that would be too complex for you to understand.

Surely it would be as your word selection borders misnomers.

And your bravado sadly underestimates my background, knowledge, analysis, application and the evaluation of science.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:25 am 
Philosopher
Philosopher

And once again I'm sorry for not being english.
We underestimate each-other, maybe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:40 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Unnil wrote:

Too complex? Try me.