Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:25 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:22 pm 

Childhood is a paradise for a grownup individual, whether rich or poor. I was born in a mountain village in China. Persimmon is an orange-colored fruit we used to eat a lot. I can still remember little kids, shivering in cold winter winds, looked up at the tall persimmon tree and its few red-lanterns of fruits. The Chinese people even paint persimmons in auspicious pictures, with white snow covering the flaming fruits and the black tree trunks.
What is your sweetest memory of childhood?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:45 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Well I do object to the phrase "Childhood is a praradise for a grownup individual" coz it may be the contrary and be the burning hell of human torture. Nothing is determined by our own experience but it is all about others through which we can gather a whole frame out to the definition of childhood.

I think childhood is the foundation of what was planted in us by parents in the first case and the surrounding including external factors. If the seed reveived enough water, air and sun then it will give its best plant and fruit whereas if been deprived of love, care and the appropriate climate the result is disasterous.

Childhood is not only about us ... it is mainly a chance for parents to prove they are smart or idiots.

"Childhood sometimes does pay a second visit to man; youth never."
--Anna Jameson

Libra.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:26 am 

libra&libra wrote:
Well I do object to the phrase "Childhood is a praradise for a grownup individual" coz it may be the contrary and be the burning hell of human torture. Nothing is determined by our own experience but it is all about others through which we can gather a whole frame out to the definition of childhood.

I think childhood is the foundation of what was planted in us by parents in the first case and the surrounding including external factors. If the seed reveived enough water, air and sun then it will give its best plant and fruit whereas if been deprived of love, care and the appropriate climate the result is disasterous.

Childhood is not only about us ... it is mainly a chance for parents to prove they are smart or idiots.

"Childhood sometimes does pay a second visit to man; youth never."
--Anna Jameson

Libra.

Hi, Libra, thank you for your response to this topic. I do agree that childhood may not be sweet for all, and it may turn out to be the hell for some. But I believe for most of people who live in a civilized and war-free society, childhood is usually happy when people look back on it.

I also agree that parents may exert the biggest influence on the growth of children, which may prove them to be smart or idiots. It is true. Sometimes I have to tell myself that parents are not completely independent of the influences of the historical epoch and their living environment. They may not be able to do anything. An older individual argues against his resentment for his parents by indicating to himself that parents could not do anything for him, only because they could doing nothing for themselves either. If they were not there for their kids, it is only because they were not there for themselves either.

Therefore, to live a happy life, one should learn to be content and forgiving while creating happiness on one's own and in cooperation with others.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:07 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

thinkingreed .. you welcome :)

it's such an interesting topic indeed

Libra.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:28 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

deep diving and catchin fish, squids and crabs with an underwater arrow!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:00 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

SCUBA diving and catching fish and crabs and such with an underwater arrow!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:00 pm 

I agree with libra&libra that childhood is not sweet for everyone nor idealised nevertheless even a child living a war will have a sweet memory which will always be imprinted in his soul. If you have read 'Un Sac de Billes' by Joseph Joffo -the true story of him as a child having to escape from France during WWII following his older 10 year old brother- you will notice that even though the book is filled with danger, sudden growing-up and separation, there are also moments of absolute bliss because of simple things like a simple game with marbles or a beautiful story. No matter where or under which conditions we live there's always a moment of happiness and it's that that stays in our memory forever.

PS. I always remember the songs my grandmother used to sing to me as a child and the sweet smell of almond flowers every spring.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:14 am 

I am increasingly amazed at the miracle of children: they are paradoxically weak and strong, and yet stronger than adults can imagine. They are fearless. They are eager to explore the world. They are sweet and happy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:58 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

When does your childhood end, if ever?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:30 pm 

Hi, Trance. You have asked a very penetrating question.

Yes, I can answer for sure that my childhood has ended absolutely.

I am very aware of the dangers and risks and malices of the world.

I am keenly conscious that happiness is not a free gift from GOD.

I am telling myself that I am on my own, thousands of miles from my home, both economically and mentally independent of parental support.

I know that if I am not alert enough in the street, I run the risk of bumping into another bike-rider.

I know that if I isolate myself from the world, I will put myself into a precarious and vulnerable position.

I become cautious and critical when I hear what others are speaking.

My childhood has ended, not long ago.

Adulthood is not only marked by ages, but by the degree of maturity of thinking and feeling and acting.

Unfortunately adulthood is also marked by a certain kind of cowardice.