Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:12 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:28 am 
The Sceptic
The Sceptic

[quote]Raping the earth? Oh you mean using the earth so we can survive. You'd rather us leave nature to itself and not hunt the little fishes so we starve? Great thinking Mr Caveman. If you're so upset with westerners raping the world, why don't you forgo your house, electricity, car, and go and live in the desert. I'm being absolutely serious, because that's what you're suggesting./quote]

WE are using the world in an unsustainable world. Now that does not mean using no resources but unless we want there to be a world for the next generation we need to do something about it. It would actually be an improvement both to our health (for the average person) if meat consumption dropped.

We could use electricity providing we don't use too much. Either we sacrifice stuff now or we may see the consequences in our life time. At best we are destroying the world for the next 2 or 3 generations. Anyway I'n sirprised you like the way the west works surley Africa would be better. People pay for there own education there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:42 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Sigs,

What exactly are we using in an unsustainable way? Cows?

With regards to the education jibe, I refer you to our Humanitarian Aid debates; the Western world at least has a democratic system of governance that allows people to climb the meritocratic ladder.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:15 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

'Democratic' maybe, but it is highly questionable just how democratic it actually is. I agree a truely democratic society is ideal, but then so is communism, and that just doesn't work. My point was explained well enough by Sigs, and if you don't understand that, I think it is pointless trying to continue this discussion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:20 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Democratic wasn't the key word, meritocratic is. Democracy is not an ideal, it is a realised state of governance. Communism has never existed and is not ideal by any stretch of the imagination. Incidentally, sigs, didn't explain himself well enough, hence my question...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:05 pm 
The Sceptic
The Sceptic

Resources being used in an unsustainable way:
Fish, Wood, Organic chemicals, any and almost all things we are using are being of used. It would be possible to stop this but unless we do so soon we will be in trouble.

Quote:
the Western world at least has a democratic system of governance that allows people to climb the meritocratic ladder.

So does much of Africa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:19 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Quote:
Fish Are Quick says "
Raping the earth? Oh you mean using the earth so we can survive. You'd rather us leave nature to itself and not hunt the little fishes so we starve? Great thinking Mr Caveman. If you're so upset with westerners raping the world, why don't you forgo your house, electricity, car, and go and live in the desert. I'm being absolutely serious, because that's what you're suggesting.

We can all stick our heads in the sand and pretend that this is just about "little fishies".

Those who come after us will curse us for destroying this planet so that all is left for them is a destroyed environment. Not our problem, though, is it? You don't have to give up electricity, but you can economize. You don't have to give up a car, but you can choose to drive less and use a fuel-efficient car.

Thinking this way may not allow you to indulge in every desire that you have, but it means caring about those who will have to deal with this planet after we are all dead and gone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:34 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

No, Africa broadly speaking doesn't, because it is corrupt and nepotistic at the top.

Ok, kids, now that we're done with the environmentalism lesson, can we now go back to the Native Indians issue and refute Moshei and Sigs argument that doesn't stand up in light of my post above.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:12 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

I think that was Sigs' point, Fish.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:49 pm 

up

"I Can Do It !"
Success Principles For Smart People!
FaceBook Group
Join The Group Now..
http://go.0ui.biz/5
Click Now!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6