Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:11 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: animals
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 2:20 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Hello everyone! I am not sure if this is the place to discuss this but here it goes. Today in my English class we read a short story that brought up an interesting topic. The story was "A Dangerous Game" I believe. Well, the short of it is that this man, a notorious hunter all over the world, was stranded on an island. He eventually found himself being hunted by a psycho man hunter. In the end he finds out how the animals feel while being hunted.

Can anyone suggest any books where it is a man vs. man type. Survival might be the correct word I am looking for.
And what are you opinions on weather animals have feelings and think like humans or do they react on instinct?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 8:19 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Well you may like Lord of The Flies, which shows a group of school childrens gradual decent from an established democracy on an island to anarchy, I'm not sure if this is quite what you want, otherwise let me know and I'll go scouting for you. But you'll see some interesting ideas about hunting particularly which is why I thought you might like it.

-fish are quick!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 1:44 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

I will try it. I heard it is good. Personally, I like books and movies that aren't very predictable. Mystery and murder tend to do the trick. It was a sad day the other week when I went to the library and found that I couldn't find many books that intrigue me. :cry: I will go and continue my search at a library elsewhere. Until then I would appreciate more suggestions on books, series and authors.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 4:03 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Right now I am reading this excellent book called The Magus that I think in some aspects is what you are looking for, it is a man vs. man type of book but it is something more along the lines of a physcholgical surrival then a physial one but I love it. I think it is very intriguing and well you never know just what will happen next. The authur is John Fowles.

And yes I personally think aniamls do have feelings and emotions just like people do as well I also think people just like animals in a lot of situations to use inscint more then thought. But I belive that animlas have a lot more intelligence and understanding then humans give them credit for. People could learn a lot if they learned to become intune and in harmony with nature then try to oppose it or rule over it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 6:27 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Delivernance was one of the most influential books/movies of the 20th century. Lives were lost in what started out as a canoeing/hunting expediton.

The Edge was certainly a celebrated movie of survival. I was not impressed with the technical aspects of it and I was somewhat critical (to the point of not enjoying it). If one new nothing of the widlerness or survival then one might gain false misconceptions under the pretense that it was realistic. It lacked realism and the manner in which the victim killed the bear was highly unlikely. The movie was engineered for action and suspense at the cost of being very unrelaistic. I had just returned from a 3-week hiking tour in the Appalachian mountains when I watched, The Edge. I had camped and hiked in very cold weather at reasonably high altitudes. I endured whole days of rain and wind and mud all in the pursuit of recreation.

In the Edge, why did they only have one knife between the three intial survivors of a plane crash? Why was there no gun? Not one! With that one knife they managed to do more carving than I could have done with an ax, hatchet and a long knife in one full week. They had no raingear or food and no maps? The survivors managed to avoid the rain and stay dry? In reality, the bear would have eaten all the survivors and left them in little bitty piles in the Alaskan wilderness. If you want to watch a realistic movie of survival then I would suggest the movie, Alive. It is based on a true story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 9:36 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

The Ghost and the Darkness. This book/movie is based on a true story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 3:33 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

I am finishing another series of books, man vs. time, and I will go and check out the books and see the movies. I was wondering if any of you have seen the Dead Poets Society.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 2:10 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Yes, I have seen it, it had been some years sense I saw it and my mind is a little rusty but it was pretty good. I did enjoy it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 6:21 pm 

Jean M. Auel’s debut novel, The Clan of the Cave Bear, is an excellent read, the movie was poor but the book is an amazing tale of survival. I loved the 'Earth's Children' series.

Post subject: Jewish shepherd
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 9:19 am 

JEWISH-RUSSIAN SHEPHERD DOG - soul teasing chapters from Piddler on the Hoof by SI Fishgal (PublishAmerica Inc)- history through the potent fiction, entertaining, capturing, inspiring.
http://jewish-shepherd.8m.com/
http://piddler-on-the-hoof.8m.com/
The derisive living truth and death emotionally awake a Jewish preschooler in the Red Army's Rearguard during the WW2.
"Damn good soul teaser," wrote a Barnes & Noble's reviewer. "No fruitless illusions, impractical fantasies and daydreamers. It's life, death, humor and true emotions. Coolest book on hottest topics, rich, vivid, fascinating, stimulating and gripping novel."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:11 pm 

I read that same story in my English class and I also thought the plot of the story was great. I strongly believe that animals do have the same emotions we have as humans. If you spend 10 minutes with an animal it is hard to deny this. I also believe that in some situations animals do rely on their instincts, same as humans. Horses for instance, rely on the act known as the fight or flight technique. When in a certain situation they choose to fight the problem or run from it. Humans do the same in certain situations. In my opinion, there is no way to say that animals do not have emotions and feel these as strongly as humans. I have a horse who started jumping around and threw my sister from his back. We sat her on the tailgate of the pickup to look at her ankle and the horse walked over and stuck his head in her lap. He looked really sad and seemed to be apoligizing to her for playing around. It is amazing the things animals feel. These emotions are really visible when there is a strong bond between an animal and human. :)

Post subject: Books to Read
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:14 pm 

The books written by Stephenie Meyer are great! She often throws unexpected twists into the stories. Her new book called the HOST was one of the best!