Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:54 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:15 pm 

What does bring you, as a Muslim, closer to Allah? I thought since Jihad was one of your five pillars, it is supposed to do that. How do you ensure that you will enter heaven?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:20 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Would anyone like to explain 'manifest destiny' to Fish are Quick, or maybe the notion of slavery...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:01 pm 
Quote Guru
Quote Guru

Jihad is not the pillars of Islam, they are as follows:
1.Sahadah : Faith in god and his Prophets (P.B.U.H)
2.Salat : Praying five times daily.
3.Sawm: Fasting during the Month of Ramdan
4.Zakat: paying of alms (monry to the poor(
5.Haj :The holy pilgrimage we perform in saudi arabia.

Performing the above which also teached use with fasting to be kind, well mannered, be friendly with your neighbour and help him/her, be generous...not to atttack other peoples faith or question, make fun.. reading the holy book...these things bring one closer to god and a better human being as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:34 pm 

Oh ok, sorry I got that kind of mixed up....
So if you do all these things, you know that you will go to heaven after death?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:46 pm 
Quote Guru
Quote Guru

If you have been a nice person, not hurt someone unnnessacry and followed the fundamentals of islam... why not...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:22 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Would you, Moshei?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:51 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Certainly. Manifest destiny is the belief held by the American settlers when they took over American. They believed it their manifest destiny to civilise the savage Native American's, or plains Indians. They forced them on to reservations and to accept their culture by killing off their main resource, the buffalo. This brutally crul practice was used to bring a civilisation to its knees and force Western settlers values on them. So think twice before you take your high and mighty stance against other religions claiming them to force their views on other people. Your own people, the same as my people, are not much better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:41 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Well said Moshei, I think the bible has a line which echoes your argument.
Something about casting the first stone?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:36 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Hmm, riiight.

Let's think about this for a second. We'll ignore the fact for now that your reference is completely anachronistic since I'm speaking in the present tense and you're alluding to the past.

Why should the Native Indians have a better claim to the land? Whose to say the Native Indians weren't the backwards civilization living in the past, resistant to change? If the Americans had simply lived alongside the Native Indians do you really think America and the world would be in the same situation as it is today and that would be a good thing? Counter-factual history I admit but let's try not to forget that colonialism isn't just an evil imperialistic monster.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:08 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

You are demanding that everyone be suddenly perfect, like you are now. Your argument is a load of right-wing idelogical bullshit which is based on your xenophiobic goggles through which you view the rest of the world and blind you to the wrong done by people in your country.

Have a nice day :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:09 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Moshei-

When did I demand that everyone should be perfect? Xenophobia is 'an unreasonable fear or hatred of foreigners' when I have ever suggested that I feel this way? You clearly don't have the intelligence to respond intelligently, but I'll wait to see if this childish fit was just a phase.

Love FAQ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:18 am 
The Sceptic
The Sceptic

What benifts are there as a result of colonialism? Many of the worlds problems are a result of either the colonial period or the ending of it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:46 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Thank you for your reply sigs, and I will get back to you, but for now I want to leave the ball in Moshei's court so he can reply to my questions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:41 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Fish Are Quick wrote:
Xenophobia is 'an unreasonable fear or hatred of foreigners'
Love FAQ

You suggest it with the way in which you imply Islamic people try and force their religion on you when they clearly don't. Maybe you feel that there are too many imigrants coming into this country, which makes you fear they are forcing their culture on us. I don't know, maybe you have a reason to feel this way.

No, you never said you wanted people to be perfect, but you expect them to be up to the same level of civilisation as yourself.

What really really annoyed me was that you suggested that the American settlers had the right to destroy the Native American's way of life, as if the Native American's didn't have a claim to the land. The Native American's never claimed the land. Their way of life revolved around the earth. They relied on it for their existence, and treated it with justified respect. Now us Westerners, who of course are the forward moving culture, who rape the earth of its resources and have the cheek to complain about climate change destroying our homes, who wage war on each other over oil and land and politics, and who kill one another because of religion, we are, of course, the desirable outcome of a progressive civilistation, aren't we?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:51 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

You're an environmentalist too? Damn.

Quote:
You suggest it with the way in which you imply Islamic people try and force their religion on you when they clearly don't.

Not in my country no. But ever heard of sharia law? That's why I was politely enquiring about Somalia... hmm.

Quote:
No, you never said you wanted people to be perfect, but you expect them to be up to the same level of civilisation as yourself.

I believe that Western civilization is best for humanity, yes. That's a farcry from me claiming I'm perfect.

Quote:
Now us Westerners, who of course are the forward moving culture, who rape the earth of its resources and have the cheek to complain about climate change destroying our homes, who wage war on each other over oil and land and politics, and who kill one another because of religion, we are, of course, the desirable outcome of a progressive civilistation, aren't we?

Raping the earth? Oh you mean using the earth so we can survive. You'd rather us leave nature to itself and not hunt the little fishes so we starve? Great thinking Mr Caveman. If you're so upset with westerners raping the world, why don't you forgo your house, electricity, car, and go and live in the desert. I'm being absolutely serious, because that's what you're suggesting.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next