Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:05 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:38 am 

A famous author concludes that as the technological progress attains the climax, a fundamental change takes place, a breakthrough, a perpendicular drop: the almighty technology creates on the one hand, forceful individuals, and on the other hand, fragile society, as witnessed by the 9/11 attack, nuclear arms, and viruses on the Internet.

In the past we tried to guard against the madness of a country or a Nazi-like bloc, but at present, we have to guard against the insaneness of individuals.

I feel quite the same.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:21 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

' Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.' ---
Friedrich Nietzsche (1844 – 1900

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:04 am 

Friedrich Nietzsche (1844 – 1900)lived in a historical period far different from ours, which is of Internet viruses, biological weapons, bombs, and where the war is fought by small teams of air-borne soldiers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:35 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

the brainwashing of t
Quote:
small teams of air-borne soldiers

is done by 'groups, parties, nations and epochs'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 1:52 am 

I mean, in a sense, the society is vulnerable to attacks launched by small groups of crazy people, as witnessed by 9/11, where the attackers needed only 2000$ for air tickets before they crashed into the Trade Center.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:26 pm 

You might be right but if we go back in history the Nazis as you said were simply one person... Hitler. If you study German History you'll notice that they had no main and strict ideology but simply Hitler manipulating them for his own means. This is what happens nowadays too as patsm has said previously brainwashing happens by groups but I'll say that the groups have always started by a single person brainwashing them in the first place.

Technology does progress and threatens us but also protects us. After 9/11 yes many ppl died but now every move of every single person is surveilled by cameras which are supposed to protect us. In Hitler's time if a person just decided to through an atomic bomb on a city there was no way to prevent him. I think technology works both ways.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:36 am 

"Technology works both ways".

Thanks. Iron-butterfly. You are right.

However rapidly technology develops, what is lying behind is always the human being. Man sits behind the wheel of the giant steamroller of technology. Man can use it to produce disasters and also more often, further the welfare of people.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 6:07 pm 
The Sceptic
The Sceptic

The state is not fragile the 9/11 attacks you keep mentioning. Did they cripple America? No the state endured. What do you think it would take to bring America to its knees? Is there anything capable of doing this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:06 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Time my friend, only time will bring America to it's knees, but time can be helped tragedies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:08 pm 
The Sceptic
The Sceptic

America will doubtless last. I doubt it will remain as powerful but that won't be the fault of the 9/11 attacks or anything similiar
America has had around 50 years of being top most of that time contested by Russia but now who knows there are three areas threatening, the Indian subcontinent, China and the EU if the US doesn't sort its econemy out it is in trouble it is currently behaving like Britian did shortly before WW2 as a result the British lost there power. Now the US is engaged in a major war which could have been easily avoided (just like ww2 really)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:33 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

sigsfried wrote:
America will doubtless last. I doubt it will remain as powerful but that won't be the fault of the 9/11 attacks or anything similiar

We will last, we will endure, maybe not as a united country, and definately not as strong as we have been in the past, but we as a people will survive, and it is up to us what we will do with the definater future we have in store.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:58 pm 

Was the Unabomber Manifesto attempting to inform on this issue?

Alfred Liseo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:55 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

thinkingreed wrote:
A famous author concludes that as the technological progress attains the climax, a fundamental change takes place, a breakthrough, a perpendicular drop: the almighty technology creates on the one hand, forceful individuals, and on the other hand, fragile society, as witnessed by the 9/11 attack, nuclear arms, and viruses on the Internet.

In the past we tried to guard against the madness of a country or a Nazi-like bloc, but at present, we have to guard against the insaneness of individuals.

I feel quite the same.

Blame no one but those few freaking minds amongst us spreading as chronic diseases. We ought to be aware to our humanity before realizing the technological progress we reached to.

Libra.