Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:14 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Asking for suggestions
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:07 pm 

Hello, i have just stumbled-upon this site, and after having spent a good while browsing through the Quotes section and then finding my way here to the forums, i was wondering if any of you would like to suggestions a good book for me to read.

I am not an excessive reader, and don't actually remember having read anything of my own free will apart from comics until about the age of 17 or 18. However, once i find a book that captures my attention i find it very hard to put down...

To give you an idea of my tastes, my favourite books are 1984 and Brave New World. I have also read practically everything by Douglas Adams... some titles 2 or three times. I also liked "The Psycholanalist" (sorry cannot remember the author right now, and do not have the book at hand) and "City" and "Clones" by Michael Marshall-Smith.

I'd greatly appreciate any ideas, as went to the local library today and came out empty-handed.... i just didn't know where to begin!
Thanks,
Bonnie

My blog >> http://katsai.blogspot.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:15 pm 

Quote:
I have also read practically everything by Douglas Adams...
Then i would immediately start on the Pratchett books. Discworld and others.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:36 pm 

Wow, Keith&company, that was a really quick reply, thanks!

... the thing is the Terry Pratchett books don't really appeal to me. I admit that i have never actually "tried" one, but have picked them up and read the blurb numerous times in the bookshop and they just don't "do it" for me. I guess I'm more into Science Fiction (but not outer-space-type) than Fantasy. To be honest, i'm not particularly taken with Lords of Rings or Hobbits or anything of that nature either :(
After having said all this, i absolutely loved the Harry Potter series -which suprised me- but i did make it through all six to date!

Sorry, i'm making this more difficult for you all. Do you like a challenge?!

OK, so i'm going to lay out all my card on the table.... I don't like (or haven't enjoyed much yet) period or historical novels either. Apart from "Mirall Trencat" (a Catalan novel, which would translate as Broken Mirror) by Merce Rodoreda, which is based around the Spanish Civil War.

Sorry for being so choosey.... :) and thanks again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:50 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Also try Piers Anthony.......Kinda fantasy sounding, but he writes bad blurbs, it you'r looking for something funny those are great, and again, try the actual book, the blurbs are kinda dumb for those, and some of them take a little to get into. try starting with Demons Don't Dream, it kinda explains alot of what's going on, and they get better after that one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:57 pm 

Quote:
I admit that i have never actually "tried" one, but have picked them up and read the blurb numerous times in the bookshop and they just don't "do it" for me.
The blurbs are like the trailers for movies. OFten they don't quite convey the full flavor of the actual experience. I'd still suggest at least the first one of the Discworld books. Color of magic, i think. If you don't like the first one, at least youhave a more complete basis for dismissing it.

I'm terribly fond of Military SF, and read almost anything written by David Drake, esp. the Hammer's Slammers books.

Weber's Honor Harrington series is also a 'must' for me, although i've learned to skip over most of the longer bouts of exposition (honestly, the fictional science behind the way they move through hyperspace interests me no more than necessary to understand how it affects intership combat. I've come to the point where in reading his books, i often find myself skimming over the pages until i see quote marks. When the dialogue starts again, i start reading again).

Bujold's books about Miles Vorkosigan thrill me, though the military is only a backdrop for the characters, unlike the hardware thrillers above.

Butcher writes about a wizard living in modern Chicago that is fascinating, to me. I believe there's a movie coming out about Harry Dresden soon. Doubt that the movie will fully live up to the fiction.

I enjoy military histories, sometimes. I really like the Hornblower books, but the O'Brien naval novels leave me cold. Just too much detail of the naval operations to really enjoy it. On land, Cornwall's books of Sharpe in the Napoleonic Wars are usually fun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:00 pm 

Quote:
Also try Piers Anthony.......
How could i have forgotten Anthony! he cried on rereading the thread.

WHich reminded him instantly of Pohl Anderson. And Asimov.

------

For that matter, i really like Johnathon Swift, although i'll readily admit that it's actual work to read. And Edgar Rice Burroughs, though i find my sensibilities have changed a bit since i read him in my childhood.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:02 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

and i forgot Asimov, oh well, at least together we can figure out the list.

there was another one i was going to mention, but i'm suddenly blanking, as soon as i remember i'll make another post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:27 pm 

this is excellent!
I am really grateful to both :) I've noted down all your suggestions and will be going back to the library tomorrow... armed and dangerous!

Question: "piers" is the authors name and "anthony" is his surname, right?

I remembered two other authors i like but have read little of, also (PG Wodehouse and Chuck Palahniuk) so have added them to my list!

Again, many many thanks, i'm sure i'll find plenty that grab me in all your suggestion :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:46 pm 

Yes, it's Piers Anthony.

Or Anthony, Piers.

By Dewy Decimal, he's under the A's.

Then there's Handling Sin by Michael Malone. One sane man's adventures across the South with his crazy family. Funny, sad, enlightening, nostalgic and uplifting all at once.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:35 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Or just go to the subject search, type "Xanth", you'll find him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:51 pm 

I just googled "Xanth" (as wasn't sure if it was another author...ooops) and got the Wikipedia article which gives a fair bit of information. It has tweaked my curiosity :lol: so i think i'm going to start out here -with the Demons Don't DReam one, as you say cdsg23- and see how it goes from there!
From what i've read through quickly about Xanth and its people/creatures it reminds me alot of the Douglas Adams sort of fantastical world: one that isn't meant to be taken "seriously", and that is home for a whole array of bizarre beings and happenings.

I'll let you both know how i get along (fingers crossed i can find it, to start with) and many thanks again.... i know i'd probably have never have come across any of these books without your guidance :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:19 pm 

Be warned, though, if you dislike Puns...Xanth is not for you...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 8:53 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Puns galore, and have fun! good luck!

i suggest Demons don't Dream mearly because it explains a lot of what's going on, and it's one of the easier one's to find, don't really know why but it is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:34 pm 

Keith&Company wrote:
Quote:
I have also read practically everything by Douglas Adams...
Then i would immediately start on the Pratchett books. Discworld and others.

Great idea. My daughter suggested them to me, and I found them VERY entertaining--way fun to read!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:05 pm 

A book, a book non-fiction where a marriage of two words created on

autobiography documentary = autobidocatry

the book combined a auto---and doc---

The title "no minor children," ? Authorhouse publisher

If you like the writing of the author and future book to look forward to

is " Denial from Devotion " This book soon to be released is

about a Marine denied the Congressional Medal of Honor after a

recommendation had been made by his Commanding Officer.

Again this is non-fiction. and a bidoctary -------- Alfred Liseo