PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 7:54 am 

Who said that?

"YOU CAN RUN, BUT YOU CAN'T HIDE"

Hugh[/quote]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 9:18 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

This his long been attributed to Joe Lewis. Sorry, but I can't find a definitive reference. But here's a well-told version of the story from a Christian page that provides illustrative stories for sermons.

http://www.christianglobe.com/Illustrat ... ile=escape

Joe Louis was the world heavyweight boxing champion from 1937 until he retired in 1949. In 1946 Louis prepared to defend his title against a skilled fighter named Billy Conn. Louis was warned to watch out for Conn's great speed and his tactic of darting in to attack and then moving quickly out of his opponent's range. In a famous display of confidence, Louis replied, "He can run, but he can't hide."  

True wit is nature to advantage dressed,
What oft was thought, but ne'er so well expressed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 8:30 pm 

It is definitely associated with Loius....
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/boxing/1399534.stm

"You can try to escape from what you fear, but eventually you will have to face it. The saying originated in the United States in the 1940s, and is attributed to the American boxer Joe Louis (1914-81), who was quoted thus on the eve of his fight with the light heavyweight champion Billy Conn. It (the phrase) is often used in a political context…"
~ From "Random House Dictionary of Popular Proverbs and Sayings" by Gregory Y. Titelman (Random House, New York, 1996).

These young Americans sent a message to terrorists everywhere … “You can run but you can’t hide.”
~ Ronald Reagan, 40th US President
On US pilots who captured four terrorists who had hijacked a ship in the Mediterranean, paraphrasing Joe Louis’s 1946 comment, press conference 11 Oct 85
http://www.bartleby.com/63/44/344.html
http://www.homecourtpublishers.com/stor ... sp?pgID=22
http://www.creativequotations.com/one/1916.htm

This article indicates the quote is from the 1941 match:

Billy Conn has been considered one of the great light-heavyweights, yet he will always be remembered for a loss. The Irish-American was comprehensively out-boxing the legendary Joe Louis in a world heavyweight title bid in June 1941 and was a street ahead on points after 12 rounds, but foolishly looked to finish the powerful Louis and was hammered to defeat in the 13th round. “He can run, but he can’t hide,” glowered Louis beforehand and those famous pre-fight words came painfully true for the over-confident Conn.
Born in East Liberty, Pennsylvania on October 8, 1917, Conn’s progress was initially slow when, as a fresh-faced teenager, he lost six of his first 14 fights in preliminary bouts in 1934-35. Conn was never a concussive puncher, but he was clever, resourceful and an excellent boxer. He matured into a fine middleweight decisioning good men like Fred Apostoli, Teddy Yarosz, Vince Dundee and the roughhouse Fritzie Zivic.
A shot at the world title eventually materialised, but at light-heavyweight, and Conn took the opportunity with both hands outpointing Melio Bettina for the vacant championship in Pittsburgh on July 1939. But the world was at war and, after three successful defences and that heartbreaking loss to Louis, Conn relinquished his light-heavyweight crown and joined the US Army in 1942. He returned four years later, only to be crushed by Louis in a rematch after eight painful rounds in New York in June 1946 and Billy was left to rue what might have been.
Conn retired two years later and died on May 29, 1993.
Billy Conn: Fights 76, Wins 63 Losses 12 Draws 1 (Knockouts 14).
By Mark G. Butcher

Where can I go from Thy Spirit?
Or where can I flee from Thy presence?
If I ascend to heaven, Thou art there;
If I make my bed in Sheol, behold, Thou art there.
If I take the wings of the dawn,
If I dwell in the remotest part of the sea,
Even there Thy hand will lead me,
And Thy right hand will lay hold of me.
If I say, "Surely the darkness will overwhelm me,
And the light around me will be night,"
Even the darkness is not dark to Thee,
And the night is as bright as the day.
Darkness and light are alike to Thee.
~ Psalm 139: 7 - 12
These verses speak of the omnipresence of God. It is impossible to escape the presence of God. Adam and Eve tried to hide from God, but found they could not do so. Achan tried to hide stolen goods from God, but found he could not do so. Jonah tried to run from God, but found he could not do so. It is impossible to escape God's presence by going up or down, east or west, or by trying to hide in the cover of the deepest darkness. We cannot escape His presence by death, distance, or darkness. We cannot escape God by death. He is on both sides of the grave. No man can run fast enough to leave God behind. Darkness may hide men from men, but it cannot hide men from God. No matter where man may go, God is already there!
http://www.bibleteachingnotes.com/ot/psalm/psalm139.asp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 5:40 am 

Ha ha...
I know that this quote is in the movie Top Gun! Lol... but I'm sure that that's not where it originated from!

"Top Gun": Jester says it to Maverick while they're up in flight simulation... it's actually a pretty good scene! (Sorry, but Top Gun is my favorite movie!)

'Trix <><