Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:44 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Philosophy
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 3:58 am 

Hey everyone.
I have had a recent interest in philosophy. I am looking to study it further. I was wondering, what books would you all recomend for a basic beginer on philosophy. Maybe a book that will give me the basics of philosophy.
Thanx all

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 5:00 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

For an interesting, accessible introduction, try Will Durant's The Story of Philosophy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 7:02 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

(A Dolphin Reference Book)

Basic Teachings of the Great Philosophers

S. E. Frost Jr.

Revised Edition

Including
Plato
Descartes
Spinoza
Kant
Hegel
Dewey
Satre
...and many others

This book may or may not be in print.

"Have gun will travel."

Post subject: i have just the one
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 1:32 pm 
Sgt Fluffy
Sgt Fluffy

the greatest book i have come across for beginers would most certainly have to be "Sophie's World". It covers 3000 years of philosophy in four hundred pages! Once more, everything is set out in an understandable way. It really is the book to read.

Happy Reading.

What is this life if so full of care, that we have no time to stand and stare

Post subject: thanx
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 1:35 pm 

hey thanx all for that. I think i'm gonna start straight away. Yea i herd about Sophie's world some time ago, it was a best seller wasn't it?

Anyways once i finish reading these..... i'll be back for more. Thanx this has been a great help.

Post subject: yepo
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 9:27 am 
Sgt Fluffy
Sgt Fluffy

yea, sophies world was a bigtime best seller, it sold over 10,000,000 copies. It's just a quality book to read, hope you enjoy. :)

:arrow: "The whole world steps aside for the man who knows where he is going." - Anon

Post subject: thanx
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 3:37 am 

yea thanx a lot, i just rented out sophie's world this morning, and i've begun reading it already. The way that the book is arranged is clever and it makes it consecutively understanding. Thanx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 3:54 am 
Sgt Fluffy
Sgt Fluffy

After you have read that i would most certainly recomend you reading "the Republic" written by Plato. It really is an inspirational book. And as many philosophers have said "Plato is the corner-stone of philosophy" a lot of philosophy is based on Plato's writins and they are still widely discussed today

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 7:01 am 
Sgt Fluffy
Sgt Fluffy

Also i would strongly recomend you reading books by Homer (800 BC - 700 BC),

Homer - The Iliad
Homer - The Odyssey

:arrow: Young men's minds are always changeable, but when an old man is concerned in a matter, he looks both before and after.
Homer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 1:47 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

There are basically three different types of philosophy, but the two main ones are:

Platonic- from Plato.
Aristotlean- from Aristotle.

Around this are built the fundamentals for all philosophies, the other large group is skepticism but originally stems from Plato. For a complete picture as well as reading The Republic try and get hold of some of the works of Aristotle.

There are five areas of study in philosophy, these are as follows: metaphysics, epistemology, ethics, aesthetics and politics.

I myself would recommend you try reading The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 11:22 am 

I find most books about philosophy to be pretty unreadable. They prove Orwell to be true: if the writer KNOWS what he is talking about he will be able to tell you easily. If not ... I personally read thro' pages of Schopenhauer and didn't understand a thing. Apart from the fact he DID believe in God.

The finest book on philosophy I ever read - came from the (don't let the title put you off) 'Bluffers Guide series. 'The Bluffer's Guide to Philosophy. From the Pre-Socratics to Satre - with laughs along the way. (Any cricket fan should also take a look at The Bluffers Guide to Cricket ... quality).

For specifics in characters in philosophy the 'for beginners' series via Unwin books takes some beating. Again don't let the title (or format in this case) put you off. Concepts are simple - the important thing is understanding them on a human and deep enough level within one self.
8O

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:29 pm 

Hadn't heard of it, but I think now I must have a copy of the "Bluffer's Guide." Thanks for the tip.

"And so, to actually describe the course of a real human journey - - which is partly logic, partly will, partly heart and so on - - is more logical because it is the description of reality, rather than those whose arguments are purely logic in a narrow sense. And very few human beings live on pure logic alone, even philosophers."
~ Author Os Guinness

The Bluffer's Guide to Philosophy
By Jim Hankinson
Extracts from the book
Historical forces
No-one knows why philosophy started when it did: ambitious bluffers of a Marxist bent could try to account for it in terms of an inexorable dialectic of historical forces, but we wouldn't recommend it.
This and that
Of course, any sensible theory is neither one thing nor the other; and it's generally safe to say something to that effect without fear of having to say just how much of one, or the exact proportion of the other.
The pleasure principal
The Epicureans, named after their founder Epicurus (342-270), held that pleasure was the End and that this consisted in the satisfaction of desires, which was a good start. But then they had to foul things up by arguing that this didn't mean a lot of pleasure was a good thing: rather, one should limit the number of desires one had, so you didn't get left with as many unsatisfied ones...
Kant or can't
One should be very careful about committing oneself in regard to Kant, or indeed any other German philosopher.
Contemplation
It is never out of order to remark, with an air of deep seriousness, that you will have to give the matter more thought. This is a doubly effective technique, in that it both does away with the obligation to say anything that might commit you to something, and also in that it tends to make your adversary feel intellectually inferior.
http://www.ovalbooks.com/bluff/Philosophy.html#top

the ghosts of many famous philosophers were asked what they think of this book:
http://morrisinstitute.com/bluffers.html
"What do I think? What do you think? I'll ask the questions here."
--Socrates
"This is the Ideal Guide to Philosophy."
--Plato
"It may not be ideal, but it's practical."
--Aristotle
"It is my one consolation."
--Boethius
"This is the Greatest Possible Book about philosophy."