Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:13 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:57 pm 

When we meet a problem in life that is almost insurmountable, what should we do? Like those without eyesight, or hearing, those who are maimed in accidents, those who are former convicts, those who suffer bad social comments?

Yes, we try to live on. We try to overcome all the difficulties. But problems arise when we try to reconstruct an ideal life with all ambitions and efforts, only to find that something has already been missing, and the crack in the porcelian cannot be erased.

Everyone bears his/her own CROSS, only differing in weight depending on different circumstances and encounters.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:35 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

thinkingreed... hi again

this is so true and profound..

"Life is a long process of getting tired"
Samuel Butler.

Thanks..

Libra.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:58 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

I agree that all have problems in thier life which they have to fight to overcome, but I do not agree with your anology to the cross.

Quote:
Everyone bears his/her own CROSS, only differing in weight depending on different circumstances and encounters.

Becasue it is in truth only applicable to Christans, for as far as I know they are the only faith that has any sort of negitive conotation on the symbol of the cross, or give it that sort of "burdon bearing" meaning.

The cross itself as a symbol predates Christainty, but is not assocaited with adversity to older faiths.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:38 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

thinkingreed wrote:
When we meet a problem in life that is almost insurmountable, what should we do? Like those without eyesight, or hearing, those who are maimed in accidents, those who are former convicts, those who suffer bad social comments?

those without eye sight learn to live with it, and those of us with visual sight try to help as much as we can, but sometimes those are not handicapps, sometimes those things that some people lack can actually hinder us, Like with communication, we spout meaningless gibberish all the time, yet someone who has to work hard to say something is more likely to think about what they say more than others.

thinkingreed wrote:
Yes, we try to live on. We try to overcome all the difficulties. But problems arise when we try to reconstruct an ideal life with all ambitions and efforts, only to find that something has already been missing, and the crack in the porcelian cannot be erased.

Problems always occure, there is nothing we can do to stop them, we must simply try to do the best we can with what we are given.

thinkingreed wrote:

A Cross does not have to break you, sometimes; if you bend with it, and carry on, it can make you stronger, you still carry it's weight around day after day, but you learn to bear it, and it becomes a part of you, something that helps define who you are, rather than something that weighs you down so you cannot rise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 4:27 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

"I am not afraid...I was born to do this."
--- Joan of Arc, on setting out on what anybody would have to say was the most impossible and burdensome task ever imposed on a human being.

She knew she would not return home. The Voices told her so.

In the end, she was bound to a stake as the English had told her two years earlier [ at Orleans ] they would do if they caught her. That was her Cross.

"Help yourself. God will help you" ( Aide toi. Dieu t'aidera. )

--- Joan of Arc

Last edited by joan_of_arc_friend on Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:55 pm 

Eveything is OK if an individual is on the right side of the post. When he is conscious that he is right and he is doing the right thing, he is empowered. He knows that his enemy is wrong, and he is eventually going to win, he is confident of himself and has a peace of mind about what he is doing.

Therefore, I am not afraid, I was born to do this...

The great heroine of France was not afraid of the opposition and persecution from the authorities, only because she knew that she was right and God was with her.

And yet, nowadays, is there any modern individual who can state that he/she is absolutely right and thus empowered to strive for a righteous purpose?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:51 pm 

I must say that I do not agree that because our way of living has changed so have the people. Each person has a cause which he considers worth fighting for. If every individual thought in this manner then there would be no progress. For a scientist finding the cure for an illness is the rightful cause to fight for, for a lawyer it is his idea of justice, for a musician is to reach people's heart. You don't have to be fighting a war to think about it as a motivation. Fighting to make a change is what is important nowadays and the people who believe and fight for it are the ones that stay in history.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:26 am 

So whats the question? We try and cope, no matter our position. It's human nature.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:44 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Why are burdens so bad? Without darkness there can be no light.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:56 am 

What is most devastating is the feeling of guiltiness and being on the wrong side. A famous musician may be a social cripple, drowning his guiltiness in drugs and alcohol and by cheating on his wife, only because in his childhood, he was (he believed) responsible for the death of his little brother, who was killed in boiled water. He became blind soon after the accident that took his brother's life, and yet even blindness could not remove guiltiness from his heart. -----Yes, he is a musician, and also a social cripple. He lives with a heavy CROSS.