Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:41 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Latin pronunciation
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 6:25 pm 

"qualis pater talis filius."
"As is the father, so is the son; like father, like son"

How would you say this quote in English...If some one could rewrite it ( "qualis pater talis filius." ) phonetically in english I would appreciate it. Thanks :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 4:05 am 
Sgt Fluffy
Sgt Fluffy

Sorry, I don't have your answer... There are others on here though, I think they'll probably be able to get an answer for you.

Sed Patris, et Fili, et Spiritus Sancti una est divinitas, aequalis gloria, coeterna maiestas.

But the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit have one divinity, equal glory, and coeternal majesty.

The The Athanasian Creed? Very interesting....

Also, I thought I'd add, your quotation in your signature is wicked! DMX is so good, and those are some of his best lyrics, thanks for reminding me of them.

Post subject: Thanks
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 4:32 pm 

it's for a possible tattoo in tribute to my father. Should I get it I would like to be able to say it without sounding like an idiot. :wink:

I have been reading this board off and on for over a year. 8)

Greekboy....
Quote:
DMX is so good
:) Absolutely

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 9:54 pm 

Here's another Latin quote:

Veni, vedi, vici.
I came, I saw, I conquered.
-Julius Ceasar

Post subject: The thought counts
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 5:36 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

I think your father would be happy that you think fondly of him. You don't have to prove it by going to the lengths of having a permanent tatoo.

Henry

Post subject: Mariantionette
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 12:12 pm 

Thanks for the suggestions, I really like the shorter version, as you say less letters. Still working out the details as I do know that it is permanant, so a lot of thought should go into a tattoo.

Henry- My father passed awy 2 years ago from an aortic aneurysm. And he had 3 tattoos. His only advice to me about getting a tattoo was make sure that it has meaning for you. This one definately will have. He also would not sign for me while I was underage as he conidered it an adult decision.