All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Eat, Drink and be merry
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 11:38 pm 

Ok, who said this?

"Eat, drink and be merry, for tomorrow we die."

Moebius[/b]

Post subject: Eat, drink & be merry...
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 1:30 am 

I've seen this in both the Old & New Testaments of the Bible (possibly Ecclesiastes for the Old)...Good Luck, pna

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 8:20 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we shall die.

--Isaiah 21:11

A man hath no better thing under the sun, than to eat, and to drink, and to be merry.

--Ecclesiastes, 8:15

Soul, thou hast much goods laid up for many years: take thine ease, eat, drink, and be merry.

--Luke 12:19

The popular version, "Eat, drink and be merry, for tomorrow we die," seems to be a combination of the actual Biblical quotations, none of which contains both "be merry" and "tomorrow we die."

And yes, Mariantoinette, it's a terrific maxim, but for serious fussbudgets like me, "be merry" isn't a thing you can turn on and off at will.

True wit is nature to advantage dressed,
What oft was thought, but ne'er so well expressed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 9:55 am 

Yep, that does seem to be true. Never noticed that.
Some more uses:

Why do we also stand in jeopardy every hour?
I affirm, by the boasting in you which I have in Christ Jesus our Lord, I die daily.
If I fought with animals at Ephesus for human purposes, what does it profit me? If the dead are not raised, then "let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we die."
Don't be deceived! "Evil companionships corrupt good morals."
~First Corinthians, Holy Bible
[1 Corinthians,15:30-33]
http://etext.lib.virginia.edu/toc/moden ... v1Cor.html

"Is that so?" exclaimed Minerva, "then you do indeed want Ulysses home again. Give him his helmet, shield, and a couple lances, and if he is the man he was when I first knew him in our house, drinking and making merry, he would soon lay his hands about these rascally suitors, were he to stand once more upon his own threshold.
Odyssey - Homer (tr. Samuel Butler) (Book I)

Such a man, nevertheless, was the Reverend Samuel Pentecost, and such a woman was the Reverend Samuel's mother; and in the dearth of any other producible guests, there they were, engaged to eat, drink, and be merry for the day at Mr. Armadale's pleasure party to the Norfolk Broads.
Armadale - Wilkie Collins

. . .for this day he is not a God of miracles: he hath done his work. Yea, and there shall be many which shall say, eat, drink, and be merry, for tomorrow we die; and it shall be well with us. And there shall also be many which shall say, eat, drink, and be merry; nevertheless, fear God. . .
Book of Mormon - 1830 Edition

If this life were all, we should be led to query, whether or not there was really any substance in existence, and we might with propriety say, "Let us eat, drink, and be merry, for to morrow we die!" But if this life is all, then why this constant toiling, why this continual warfare, and why this unceasing trouble?
History of the L.D.S. Church - 7 volumes

What is the purpose of my existence? Why am I here in this world at all? What is the end and aim of life? How shall I employ my time and talents? Shall I live only for today, eat, drink, and be merry? What after death? Do I perish like the beasts of the field, or is the grave the portal into another world? If so, whither am I bound?
Inspiration - Arthur W. Pink

And then the red faces made their way through the black biting frost to their own homes, feeling themselves free for the rest of the day to eat, drink, and be merry, and using that Christian freedom without diffidence.
Silas Marner - George Eliot (Mary Ann Evans)

Yom Kippur fast spring cleaning of inside.
Peace and war depend on some fellow's digestion.
Religions. Christmas turkeys and geese.
Slaughter of innocents. Eat, drink and be merry.
Then casual wards full after. Heads bandaged.
Cheese digests all but itself. Mighty cheese.
-- Have you a cheese sandwich?
-- Yes, sir.
Like a few olives too. . .
Ulysses - James Joyce

If this were all, we should be led to query, whether there was really any substance in existence: and we might with propriety say, "Let us eat and drink; for tomorrow we die!" If this were really so, then why this constant toiling, why this continual warfare, and why this unceasing trouble?
~Evening and Morning Star - 1832-1834
Teachings of Prophet Joseph Smith

The Twenty-Third Chapter
Thoughts on Death
VERY soon your life here will end; consider, then, what may be in store for you elsewhere. Today we live; tomorrow we die and are quickly forgotten. Oh, the dullness and hardness of a heart which looks only to the present instead of preparing for that which is to come!
~Imitation of Christ by Thomas 'a Kempis

Plain and loved, loved for ever, they say. Ugly: no woman thinks she is.
Love, lie and be handsome for tomorrow we die. See him sometimes walking about trying to find out who played the trick.
~Ulysses - James Joyce

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 6:04 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Thank you kindly, Miss.

Nostromo and I seem to make a good pair. I always try to be pithy and he always succeeds in being exhaustive. That's the short and long of it.

True wit is nature to advantage dressed,
What oft was thought, but ne'er so well expressed.