Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:29 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:22 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Lovely Pride wrote:
Yes, ladies and gentleman, one more reason to stop global warming. :wink:

Not to get away from the context of this thread, which is a lot of fun to read. I can't help but note, though, that the political views of I don't know how many Americans (I am guessing about half of the population) could care less about global warming, or even claim that global warming is a myth. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:54 pm 

DSW,
Quote:
What happens if the tower has a shortage of crows?

Isn't the myth supposed to be that the tower will fall if there is a shortage of crows? So poeple go up there to feed them everyday. My mother told me about it once because of my love for Ravens and Crows.

In deference to an ancient legend, a number of ravens are fed at the Tower at government expense; so long as the ravens remain at the Tower (which is ensured by trimming the flight feathers of the ravens), Britain is safe from invasion. Legend also says that should the ravens leave the Tower of London, the White Tower will crumble and the Monarch will fall, thus, the ravens are the palladium of the realm. The names of the eight ravens currently in the tower are Gwylum, Thor, Hugine, Munin, Branwen, Bran, Gundulf, and Baldrick. In 2006, ahead of the H5N1 avian flu scare, the ravens were moved indoors, and have since remained there.

Was this what you were talking about?

Fact: The Blackfoot Confederacy is the collective name of three First Nations in Alberta and one Native American tribe in Montana.

Question: Who was Standing Bear, and what history did he partake in with the US. (He was my great-great something grandfather. Can't go back far enough in my family tree to figure it out right now.)

Raven

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:00 pm 
Quote Guru
Quote Guru

anajo, I think.. global warming would lead to reverse effects.... Ice age.. just like in the movies..."Day after Tomorrow"...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:53 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Hi Ishrat!

From what I understand, some areas will suffer from global warming and other areas will suffer due to global cooling. All in all, not a great situation for any of us.

Anawoe,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 3:15 pm 
Quote Guru
Quote Guru

Hmmm.... Which side of the climate do you want to be..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 3:38 pm 

Here in Canada we've been told to expect an increase in temperature which will lead to massive flooding. Western British Colombia could end up under water and the coastal mountians could become islands. Biologists have already noticed a drop in the weight of polar bears who are catching less prey because the ice flows are no longer stable enough for them to travel across to get to other hunting grounds. This has also led to a decrease in the polar bear populations.

Fact: According to the traditional beliefs of the Inuit, their greatest leaders are reincarnated as polar bears so that they can use their wisdom to rule all of the Arctic. For this reason it is considered blasphemy to kill or injure a polar bear.

Anajo wrote:
...the political views of I don't know how many Americans (I am guessing about half of the population) could care less about global warming, or even claim that global warming is a myth. :?

People will convince themselves of anything to avoid having to change their lifestyles. And most Americans and Canadians would have to change their lifestyles drastically if they accepted global warming as fact.

But getting this topic back on course...
Name the smallest country in the world.

"Perhaps the mission of those who love mankind is to make people laugh at the truth, to make truth laugh, because the only truth lies in learning to free ourselves from insane passion for truth." - Umberto Eco, The Name of the Rose

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 3:44 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

hmmm... just a guess... Liechtenstein?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:16 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Lovely Pride wrote:
Western British Colombia could end up under water and the coastal mountians could become islands.

Hurray. I'll drown in the next 50 years.

I actually thought the smallest country was in Africa but;

Vatican City - 0.2 square miles - The world's smallest state, the Vatican has a population of 770, none of whom are permanent residents. The tiny country which surrounds St. Peter's Basilica is the spiritual center for the world's Roman Catholics (over 1 billion strong). Also known as the Holy See, Vatican City is surrounded by Rome, Italy.

question: What happened to the Cahow bird in January 8, 1951?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:38 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

The smallest country would be the Vatican City.

The smallest republic is Nauru, which I suspect is in Africa.

Donno (again) what happened to the Cahow birds.

I wanna know more about England and Greece and France and if Rana's around, stuff about Jordan.

Is Rana around?

And Eternity in an hour.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:28 am 
The Sceptic
The Sceptic

I suppose I could do a bit on the UK.

Basics, The UK means the United Kingdom of Great Britian and Northern Ireland. Great Britian came in existance when the act of union joined the two countries of Scotland and England. Wales at this point was a prinicipality and under English rule. To this day the heir to the throne has the title Prince of Wales. Ireland was later taken over to prevent Ireland being used as a base of attack. The surrender treaty created the UK. Later the Republic Ireland split most of Ireland as an independent country and a little bit, northen ireland, under British rule. This has caused a lot of problems as about half wants to leave the union whilst the other half wants to remain in it. England came into extistance in 1066 when it was taken over by William the Conqueror/ William the Bastard. This meant that for a long time England ruled a considerable part of France though this was all eventually lost.

The British in general as very distrustful of elected officials and despite being the second European country to get rid of the monarchy they quickly brought it back.

An example today of the distrust of elected officials are things like the House of Lords (the second chamber of parliment) which is made up entirly of unelected officials some though not many are heredity peers. Judges are not elected unlike in the US.

It would be wrong not to mention the Empire at some point. The British Empire at one time covered over a 1/3 of the globe and now mostly it has gone but some bits remain most notably Gibraltar and the Fakland Isls. Though both are wanted to be got rid of by the UK goverenment to Spain and Argentina respectivly when this was taken by force (I.e. the Falkland Isles where taken by Argentina) the UK goverenment was forced to respond by force something that brought universal condemnation.

What was the Empire is now more or less the Commonwealth and includes Canada and Australia both of which maintain the Monarchy as head of state.

Scotland is still trying to break away from the Union and we will probably see a referendum on it within the next 5 years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:11 pm 

Quote:
What happened to the Cahow bird in January 8, 1951?

Once an abundant nesting seabird throughout Bermuda, this petrel was thought extinct for three centuries before 18 pairs were rediscovered breeding on tiny suboptimal islets in Castle Harbour between 1951 and 1961, since when intensive management (including the elimination of nest-site competition) has wrought a slow but steady increase to over 40 breeding pairs in the 1990s.

I assume that is what you are talking about. The dates seem to match. The Cahow Bird is also know as: BERMUDA PETREL
Pterodroma cahow

No one has answered my question yet.

Raven

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:20 pm 

As for global warming. I moved to Wisconsin for this reason. It is said by a prophecy told by Edgar Casey, that certain states up north, parts of canada, Wisconsin, parts of northern Ilinois, Minesota...and so on. States close will be safe from flooding because of their elevation. Already Wisconsin has become semi-tropical. Instead of water here we are getting low water right now, so boats are getting stuck in the sand. I have had many problems with this. You wouldn't like pulling your boat through the Mississippi for any distance. Especially when the water is really low, and doesn't take the weight off the boat. Last year, summer almost lasted till Christmas. It was horrible. Less snow every year. Now, summer seems to be ending now...it is really wierd. The weather is so screwed up right now!

Raven

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:24 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Nahwatah Ravenheart wrote:
As for global warming. I moved to Wisconsin for this reason. It is said by a prophecy
Raven

Raven,
Just my two cents, but I would be more apt to rely on the studies done by scientists that by the prophecies of any other person. But then, that's just me. We are all entitled to our own opinions.

Anajo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:41 pm 

Yes, but me and you differ in that area. I take fiction before fact, and you take fact before fiction. I was brought up by a psychic grandmother, so my views are going to tend towards that more than scientists.

Raven

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:22 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Raven,

How do you decide which psychic it is that you will have confidence in?

Anajo

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next