Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:24 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 4:28 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

I haven't read the stories in years, so I can't recall enough to say whether I liked or disliked them, but I'm rather curious now that I've heard his books convey a lot of policical opinions of the author. Do you like the books simply because of their simplicity, or it's manifest (sorry, I'm stealing from Freud but I'm too tired to think of another word) content, or for it's latent meaning?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 2:05 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

I haven't read any book by Dr. Seuss either, but I have seen/read many quotes by this man and I love all of them. If his books are at least as good as his quotes, then they all must rule! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 11:43 pm 

I loved Dr. Seuss books as a kid and haven't read/head about them since what are the
Quote:
policical opinions of the author.
?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 1:04 pm 

I loved them near and dear, and I grew up watching the cartoon movies like the Lorax(I speak for the trees!), Then Sneetches, blah blah blah, and Chuck Jones' renidtion of The Grintch, a holiday tv favorite.
Gotta love Thoedore Geisel! I also designed a Suess banner, featuring characters for the musica, Suessical. It was (the musical) dissapointing, and I joked and said to my frined that Giesel's rocking his casket listening to this, ya know. :mrgreen:
Red fish. blue fish...
Cat in the Hat is soooo adorable, and the figurehead of his fame. I love him, but not as much as the Lorax. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:48 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

i LOVE all of the dr. seuss books!!!! i still have a bunch of them and my dad still has a bunch of them from when he was a little boy. lol. i love them so much!!! i sat down the other day and read a bunch of them. got to love the seuss!!!

"In my time, nightmares walked among us, skewering victims in plain sight...This to make us laugh. And now nightmares are trapped inside the heads of humans...I wonder whom they angered so to merit such a fate?"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:12 pm 

Every time my niece wants to read I always ask her "Do you want to read Dr. Seuss? Of course you do!" just because I want to read them. I think they are so clever and always teach a much better lesson than other books I've read to her. Love them!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:52 pm 

My favorite Dr. Seuss books are "Green Eggs And Ham" and "One Fish, Two Fish, Blue Fish"or something like that :D.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:48 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

I used to like the books when I was younger but know I have moved on to bigger and better things. :|
________
Headshops

Last edited by K.M. on Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:49 pm 

I LOVE Dr. Seuss. In all honesty, he's one of my favorite authors. I loved him as a child (Green Eggs and Ham was the first book I ever read) and today I read to my neice and find myself falling in love with his work all over again. Granted, I've never given any thought to any possible political, social or other deep meaning they might have. I love them for their simplicity.
My favorite is Horton Hatches the Egg. My neice and I have read it so many times, we have most of it memorized.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:27 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

I have to admit that i personally like Seussical the Musical more than i like the books, but that could just be me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:58 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

i love doctor seuss. always have, always will. i feel like stories like "green eggs and ham" and the "cat in the hat" are awesome, and even though at twenty i'm no longer his target audience, i will still crack a smile when i read them. also, that "oh the places you'll go" one (or whatever it's called) is absolutely awesome, and has been the most common graduation gift for high schoolers for several years.

and his stories are often very politically charged, and at the very least socially conscious, which is something that i really appreciate and admire him for. "the better butter battle" was inspired by the cold war, specifically the berlin wall. "the sneetches" criticizes american racism. "the lorax is very clearly pro-environmental awareness, and i love it. but they're disguised as children's books, and that's so smart to me.

haha clearly i love him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:03 pm 

Dr. Seuss is a literary genius. Everyone can get something out of reading his work. You have to be a good writer to appeal to children and adults alike.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:10 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Writer3309 wrote:
My favorite Dr. Seuss books are "Green Eggs And Ham" and "One Fish, Two Fish, Blue Fish"or something like that :D.

One fish, Two fish, Red fish, Blue fish