Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:15 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 6:25 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

"Welcome to Alaska, where men are men and women win the IDITAROD, again and again."

T-Shirt Quotation
--------------------------

Only YOU can prevent forest fires!

--Smokey the Bear
---------------------------------

Welcome to Cotter

TROUT CAPITOL OF THE WORLD

--Cotter, Arkansas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 1:48 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

--Chinese Proverb
-------------------

Call on God but row away from the rocks.

--Indian Proverb
------------------

Wait until night before you say that it has been a fine day.

--French Proverb.
-------------------

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 4:40 am 
Sgt Fluffy
Sgt Fluffy

"Any one thing in the creation is sufficient to demonstrate a Providence to an humble and grateful mind."
-- Epictetus (AD 55?-135?), Greek Stoic philosopher

"The glory of creation is in its infinite diversity."
-- Gene Roddenberry, American scifi writer, producer, "Star Trek"

"The day I see a leaf is a marvel of a day."
-- Kenneth Patton, American NYC Economic Development Administrator

"We shall find peace. We shall hear angels, we shall see the sky sparkling with diamonds."
-- Anton Pavlovich Chekhov (1860-1904), Russian author, playwright

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 6:11 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Even as our few remaining wilderness areas are threatened, each day more of us venture into these beautiful landscapes to experience the energy for ourselves. And immersed in the natural rhythms of the earth and the wind and the sky, our minds relax and view our lives with quite perspective. We can see our paths and can recognize the synchronicity that has guided our foot steps. Suddenly, we begin to experience another kind of mysterious occurence: the presence of animals.

--Excerpt from The Tenth Insight--James Redfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 9:10 am 
Sgt Fluffy
Sgt Fluffy

Only after the last tree has been cut down.
Only after the last river has been poisoned.
Only after the last fish has been caught.
Only then will you find that
money cannot be eaten".

Native Cree Prophecy

Then he took to the trees & rivers to lead a life of shame
Every crime in Oklahoma was added to his name
Yes he took to the trees & timbers on the Canadian river shore
~Excerpt from Woody Guthrie's "Pretty Boy" Floyd~

Earth and sky, wind and trees, rivers and fields, the mountains
and the sea. All are excellent schoolmasters and teach some of
us more than we could ever learn from books.
~Author unknown~

And on the banks, on both sides of the river, there will grow all kinds
of trees for food. Their leaves will not wither nor their fruit fail, but
they will bear fresh fruit every month, because the water for them
flows from the sanctuary. Their fruit will be for food, and their
leaves for healing.
- Ezekiel 47:12

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 3:41 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

I'd go along with Woody Guthrie anytime! A great song writer, with a natural gift to express emotions in simple words and tunes.

If you ever get the chance to the folk-singer Andy Irvine, take it! He is truly one of Woody's Children. He has a great website, with details of his own life. He once acted in a film with Gina Lollobrigida. His scene was filmed in England but, sadly, her scene was filmed in Italy, so they never met. A great musician and gifted songwriter and a really nice person too.

Henry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2003 12:57 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

What sets a canoeing expedition apart is that it purifies you more rapidly and inescapably than any other travel. Travel a thousand miles by train and you are a brute; pedal five hundred on a bicycle and you remain basically a bourgeois; paddle a hundred in a canoe and you are already a child of nature.
-- Pierre Elliott Trudeau

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 5:58 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Men may dam it and say that they have made a lake, but it will still be a river. It will keep its nature and bide its time, like a caged animal alert for the slightest opening. In time, it will have its way; the dam, like the ancient cliffs, will be carried away piecemeal in the currents.

Wendell Berry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 7:15 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

My personal collection of original remarks about rivers is really quite dry. By orignial, I mean remarks or thoughts that I have originated. In essence I am dry about rivers. That is a personal paradox considering that I have canoed an accumulated distance that would span the entire state of Tennessee (more than 500 miles). :?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 12:00 pm 

" One only has to view the fiery sunset into the ocean;
Feel the cottony soft sand beneath your feet;
Hear the rhythmic ocean waves breaking on the beach;
Witness the full golden moon being overtaken in the west,
As the sun rises in the stillness of the eastern sky;
To appreciate and give thanks for the beauty of nature
That blesses our lives and renews the spirit within us."
--- Gary Harrington

No, my friends, I shall speak of trees as we see them, love them, adore them in the fields, where they are alive, holding their green sun-shades over our heads, talking to us with their hundred thousand whispering tongues, looking down on us with that sweet meekness which belongs to huge, but limited organisms,--which one sees in the brown eyes of oxen, but most in the patient posture, the outstretched arms, and the heavy-drooping robes of these vast beings endowed with life, but not with soul,--which outgrow us and outlive us, but stand helpless,--poor things!--while Nature dresses and undresses them, like so many full-sized, but underwitted children.
-- Oliver Wendell Holmes

If the sight of the blue skies fills you with joy, if a blade of grass springing up in the fields has power to move you, if the simple things of nature have a message that you understand, rejoice, for your soul is alive.
-- Eleonora Duse (1859-1924)

Nature made us individuals, as she did the flowers and the pebbles; but we are afraid to be peculiar, and so our society resembles a bag of marbles, or a string of mold candles. Why should we all dress after the same fashion? The frost never paints my windows twice alike.
-- Lydia Maria Child

The winds have welcomed you with softness,
The sun has greeted you with it's warm hands,
You have flown so high and so well,
That God has joined you in laughter,
And set you back gently into
The loving arms of Mother Earth.
-— Anon, known as 'The Baloonists Prayer', believed to have been adapted from an old Irish sailors' prayer.

In the woods, we return to reason and faith. There I feel that nothing can befall me in life,--no disgrace, no calamity (leaving me my eyes), which nature cannot repair. Standing on the bare ground,--my head bathed by the blithe air and uplifted into infinite space, --all mean egotism vanishes. I become a transparent eyeball; I am nothing; I see all; the currents of the Universal Being circulate through me; I am part and parcel of God. The name of the nearest friend sounds then foreign and accidental: to be brothers, to be acquaintences, master or servant, is then a trifle and a disturbance. I am the lover of uncontained and immortal beauty. In the wilderness, I find something more dear and connate than in streets or villages. In the tranquil landscape, and especially in the distant line of the horizon, man beholds somewhat as beautiful as his own nature.
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson, Nature

The tree which moves some to tears of joy is in the eyes of others only a green thing that stands in the way. Some see nature all ridicule and deformity . . . and some scarce see nature at all. But to the eyes of the man of imagination, nature is imagination itself.
-- William Blake

...At a certain point you say to the woods, to the sea, to the mountains, the world, Now I am ready. Now I will stop and be wholly attentive. You empty yourself and wait, listening. After a time, you hear it: there is nothing there. There is nothing but those things only, those created objects, discrete, growing or holding, or swaying, being rained on or raining, held, flooding or ebbing, standing, or spread. You feel the world's word as a tension, a hum, a single chorused note everywhere the same. This is it: this hum is the silence. The silence is all there is. It is the alpha and the omega. It is God's brooding over the face of the waters; it is the blended note of the ten thousand things the whine of wings. You take a step in the right direction to pray to this silence, and even to address the prayer to "World."
-- Annie Dillard

The groves were God's first temples.
-- William Cullen Bryant, "A Forest Hymn"

... and then there is that awesome poem by David Wagoner, about the forests, which I like so much. :)

LOST
by David Wagoner

Stand still. The trees ahead and
the bushes beside you
are not lost.
Wherever you are is called here
And you must treat it as a powerful stranger.
You must ask permission to know it and be known.
Listen. Listen. The forest breathes.
I have made this place around you.
If you leave it, you may come back again saying here.
No two trees are the same to raven.
No two branches are the same to wren.
If what a tree or a branch does is lost on you,
Then you are surely lost.
Stand still.
The forest knows where you are.
You must let it find you.

-

much love, light and laughter,
ananya.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 6:04 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

"It always rains on tents. Rainstorms will travel thousands of miles, against prevailing winds for the opportunity to rain on a tent."

--Dave Barry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 2:34 am 

The HIMALAYAS : the most enchanting mountains of the World.

The permanent snow-fields on the highest dome of the mountain, the firm basin that feeds the glacier, and the highest regions of the glacier were bathed in the silver light of the moon; but where the ice-stream lay, pitch-dark, in its deep cleft, fathomless shadow prevailed. Thin white clouds floated across the hilly snow-fields, like so many mountain-spirits engaged in dancing.
-- Sven Hedin

Ladakh : a land of stone and ice. Certainly a place like no other on earth.
Nights out in the open in the Himalayas are very absorbing. I never miss an opportunity to walk in the darkness and solitude of the mountains. The silence and stillness of the night, the sheer stark blackness of the night, the sequinned skies, the glittering circa of snow peaks, the chill - all create a powerful mental experience. I have never seen quite such a creation of beautiful nights.
-- Somit Doshi

The Himalayas, it is said, are made of solid granite. Once every thousand years a bird flies over them with a scarf in its beak that brushes the ranges as it passes. When by this process the Himalayas have been worn away, one day of a cosmic cycle will have elapsed.
-- Anon

Zanskar – a remote valley in Ladakh is the fabled “Land of White Copper” - a land of glaciers and extreme cold, snow leopards and the ibex, black wolves and the rare Himalayan blue poppy, and of spirits and monks. At an average altitude of over 13,000 ft, the strange aspect of this valley is that it has no entrance. The two rivers that flow in it meet to carve a gorge so long and deep that one cannot travel down it to enter or exit the region. The only way out is crossing the Zanskar range of mountains, through high passes that are closed eight months in a year.
-- Vaibhav Kala

What a spectacular trail - hardly a human footstep to disturb the path. Bark of bhojpatra littered the ground, instead of sweet wrappers and juice cartons. Verdant green, the occasional early flower peeping through, the mist and the sunlight, the roar of the river bounding over rocks. When we reached the impossibly dangerous glacier, we were already committed to Valley of Flowers. I looked at the glacier critically from several angles, trying to see ahead. It curved an impossible distance. Sheer vertical cliff led to the river, cascading over rocks. The latter part seemed possible, but the initial bit was undoubtedly dangerous.
-- Romola Butalia, on the way to the Bhyundar Valley (anglecised name is Valley of Flowers)

Suddenly there was a deep booming sound from somewhere below us. Kishan said that chunks of ice were breaking away from within the glacier. I knew that crevasses form or change this way. The place no longer felt safe. We moved on over the glacier. Slowly the big crevasses began to appear. Kishan was an expert guide. Crossing the Gangotri glacier with a trekker who is not so fit requires knowing the glacier and the positions of the big crevasses like the back of your hand. The crevasses change their shape and dimensions regularly. Unless one is in peak physical form searching for ways to cross can become very tiring and can make you disoriented.
At the end of it you realise that it is not crossing the crevasses that is difficult, but knowing your way around them that makes the difference between a rewarding experience and a harrowing, tedious one. Gradually we crossed the last of the crevasses to reach the base of Tapovan. It is a short, steep climb. My estimate is that in less than a kilometer one climbs more than 2000 feet.
A few laboured steps and I was on flat ground. Quite suddenly, I was stunned by what emerged through the mist. All my tiredness vanished as I stood in an enchanted trance. Ahead of me was the holy Tapovan, where sages and ascetics have meditated for ages.
-- Sumanta Roy Chaudhury, trekking to Gangotri In the shadows of the Bahgirathi Peaks

... As one can see, I'm absolutely crazy about the Himalayas. just came back from there last month, and can't wait to go back. Thank you PD for the opportunity to showcase my home. :) More quotes coming up!

-

much love, light and laughter,
ananya.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 3:56 am 
Sgt Fluffy
Sgt Fluffy

Hahaha, this is so funny:

Adam and Eve, in the garden of Eden,
Admiring the beauties of Nature.
The devil jumps out, with brussel sprouts
and his the in the eye with a potatoe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 6:38 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

You can not step twice into the same river, for other waters are continually flowing on. It is in changing that things find repose.

Heraclitus, fragments 21, 23

(This quote appears at the end of the movie titled as The Same River Twice.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2003 9:19 am 
Sgt Fluffy
Sgt Fluffy

More on Mountains, These few are really good:

It is the ultimate wisdom of the mountains that a man is never more a man than when he is striving for what is beyond his grasp.
-James Ramsey Ullman

The ordinary man looking at a mountain is like an illiterate person confronted with a Greek manuscript.
-Aleister Crowley
1875-1947, British Occultist

Thou hast a voice, great Mountain, to repeal. Large codes of fraud and woe; not understood by all, but which the wise, and great, and good interpret, or make felt, or deeply feel.
-Percy Bysshe Shelley
1792-1822, British Poet

No one can choose your mountain or tell you when to climb,
it is yours alone to challenge at your own pace and time.
-- Maryann