Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:05 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:59 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

This is a thread proposed by Great, which I thought was too good to let go, so I took the liberty of posting it. Sorry- this thread really belongs to Greta.

The idea is this:

Greta wrote:

How do you view people on the internet?. Are they just empty words behind a computer screen, or are they real people like you and me with feelings, thoughts, emotions, personalities, problems, etc.

Your thoughts please

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:02 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Too funny! I will see if I can delete my thread... LOL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:05 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

I have very strong feelings about this subject, but I will hold off a bit before I voice my opinion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:07 am 

You know, as you were deleting it I was trying to post in it!!! No wonder I was so confused. Then it just dissapeared. I thought I was losing it when it kept telling me "Sorry! you can only post replys in this forum". I didn't get it...

Anyways...what I was saying

Quote:
Do I think that I am talking to a computer personality...No! I know that on the other side of the computer there is a person. Someone that has thoughts, ideas, feelings and so on. I see them as friends that I wont possibly ever meet, but will try my damndest to. Believe me, maybe its because we're not face to face, but I find more trust in some of you on here than I have with anyone in my life. This is not including my closest friends.

Raven 8O

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:13 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Haha, sorry Greta. I must have missed you posting your thread while I posted this one, sorry. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:40 am 
QuoteMistress
QuoteMistress

I'm w/ Raven :)

Rana

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:10 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

I am closer to the people I know in the flesh than with people on the internet. My friends in the flesh and I spend hours together talking about things. We can share things that there would be no way for a person on the internet to share. If I am working on a painting, my friends are there to see the progress and to share with me their opinions. When they are working on a painting or a musical composition, I have been with them through the progression from start to finish. In this way, we share the most intimate details of that which means the most to us. Again, this is something that cannot be shared on the internet. One might email someone a photo of their painting, and the person says, 'Oh, that's a nice painting'. But to be able to sit with a friend over a beer and an entire evening takes it to a different, more meaningful, level.

I prefer a live conversation where ideas can be tossed back and forth and any misunderstanding can be immediately resolved. If one of us is hospitalized, then the rest of us get together and visit them in the hospital, and bring them food etc. We are there for each other. Friends on the internet can offer some support with words, but it is the friends who deal with me day in and day out who i really appreciate. We do things like camping together or we take a trip together. I recently took a vacation with Joe and his two kids. We had a wonderful time exploring nature and the Mogollon cliff dwellings. We had magical evenings where Joe's son tapped away on this leather drum. One day we all sat around these huge wind chimes and tapped them and let the wind play with them. In the background could be heard these silly chickens. It was an awesome experience that we shared. We recorded the event and to this day when I listen to it, I can relive the vibes that we shared at that moment. It is times like this that draw people together and it is the type of experience that we cannot have with cyberspace friends.

I know that a real person is on the other end of the computer. Unfortunately, I'll never be able to understand them in the deeper way that I understand the friends that i have here. And the friends that I have here in the flesh mean more to me than anyone else in the world. They have been there for me. Particularly my lover Joe, who has been there with me through thick and through thin. I have been there for him when he was down and out and vice versa.

Cyberspace friends are important too. For me, however, they just aren't the same as the friends that I deal with here on a daily basis.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:26 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

let's see...people on the internet....hmmmm.
Of course I think that people on the internet have feelings, personalities and all that stuff. People on the internet are just like people in real life. It's not the same experience talking with someone over the internet as it is in real life. You can never really know someone over the internet because you will only know of them what they choose to tell you. Same goes for real life though, people lie all of the time. It's sad, but true.
I think people come to the internet for different reasons. Some come for friends, relationships, discussions, information etc. All of these things are done in real life too. It's just a different way to communicate with people.
I will tell you that I find it easier to talk to people over the internet. I find that I can express myself better in writing. The only downfall to the internet is that you can't actually see facial expressions and body language. I think that body language and facial expressions add so much to what someone is saying. I guess that's what these little emoticons are for, but I think that they hardly do any justice to real ones.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
~Robert Frost~

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:23 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

I view people on the internet in the same manner that I view people in real life. That might not be a smart thing to do emotionally though. Maybe I should reconsider. I have encountered folks on the internet that enjoy playing mind games and are very cruel. It seems as if they have no concept that a real person is on the receiving end of the their computer.

This is my most recent experience with a person on the internet: I have been a member of another forum since December 2005. There was some problems that occurred with the moderator on this particular forum and a lot of changes were made. I was promoted to a leadership position on the forum by the owner, but it was not moderator status. I thought that I had a pretty good relationship with the owner of the forum (via email). I had even sent him money to support his site. I tried to do my best to show my support. Recently there was an issue about religious people who were spreading their religious agendas on the website. I brought it to the owners attention. He stopped replying to my emails. Finally, I got a response out of him yesterday. He began accusing me of being an internet troll. He said that I was an impostor and had several different identities on the forum. I was totally shocked! This was part of his email to me yesterday:

I knew who you were, I just wanted to recoup some of my money.

You guys are useless without PMs. Too funny ....

I was in tears yesterday. I never thought that someone on the internet could bring me to tears, and I do not cry that much. I am very hurt about it all, and I told him that. However, he does not seem to care. I tried to explain the truth to him, but he will not return my emails anymore. I do believe that he has a true mental problem, probably a paranoia disorder.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:50 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

I talk more with a person on the internet than I do my flesh and blood friends.

Well, not that I have any anymore.

talking to people on the internet is like reading a book, you picture the character in your head, how they talk, what they look like and so on.

There is no difference, the person on the internet may as well just be a character in a book.... you' be none the wiser.

Guitar guy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:11 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Quote:
There is no difference, the person on the internet may as well just be a character in a book.... you' be none the wiser.

I never thought about it that way... I have never had a character in a book hurt me like this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:29 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

I once had an argument with someone online, saying "for all I know or care, you may as well be a computer programme. You are nothing more, just lines of text..." I regretted what I had said, but we later made up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:35 pm 
The Sceptic
The Sceptic

There is nothing you can do to tell the person your talking to in real life isn't a haulcination.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:54 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

once someone said to me "you are a part of internet". it was too harsh.

very important edit : bastard !!!!!!! :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:20 pm 
Philosopher
Philosopher

The internet is a good place to get rid of your thoughts or make them clear to yourself, you can do this when you want, the conception of time is totally different. And it is much more interesting to talk to people from different places around the world. Finally on a forum like this one, you are more likely to find people who understand philosophy, I know very few people outside internet who debate philosophy with me, and most of them can't take very much..

Unnil