Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:30 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: igits?
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 1:09 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Is there any such word? What exactly is an igit anyway? I can't find the definition but the word comes up from time to time. Last Sunday I attempted to smoke some wild turkey breast in my newest Brinkman Smoker. (I got it for my birthday last year.) Anyway, I told the Queen Bee to buy some charcoal. She did; it was "Instant Light." Normally I use regular charcoal. When I fired up the Brinkman it got so hot that the green paint burned off the outside walls. "Awe hell!" Today I called the Brinkman Company. He said the warranty did not include igit use. He also said the warranty did not include paint. He suggested that I just spray the smoker with paint. On Monday, a rather large ball of hale pounded the top of the smoker. Now I own a burned up smoker with a dent in the head.

Warning: Brinkman Smokers are not warranted for igit use!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 10:36 pm 

Idgit = idiot

If this story is all true, I suspect you have been the target of a joke.
As illustrated in the following quote:

"Well, ye air a skeery critter! " he said, contemptuously. "I hain't goin' to hurt him, Uncl' Gabe, but he must be a plumb idgit, a-talkin' 'bout folks to thar face, 'n' him so puny an' spindlin'! You git!"
~ from The Last Stetson, by John Fox, Jr.
http://www.ibiblio.org/gutenberg/etext02/lastt10.txt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 6:19 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

I must be an idgit for buying a Brinkman Smoker. I read the warranty and if it indicated that one should not use self lighting charcoal then I missed it. I must be an idgit for asking the Queen to buy me some charcoal. She thought she was doing me a favor by purchasing self lighting charcoal. I must be an idgit for leaving my burned up Brinkman in the yard so it could catch hale (the size of softballs) from the storms. The guy at Brinkman suggested that I was an idgit but he did not use the word. Today I aim to call him back and tell him that I have used smoker drums since the year of 1990 and I have never had one to get so hot that it burned the paint off the unit. I'll bet the idgit has not even been working for Brinkman since 1990. I had made a diligent attempt to maintain my house and lawn according to the standards of Better Homes and Gardens. Now my place looks like it is owned by common white trash. The flowers? Trash! The gutters? Trash! The roof? Damaged! The Smoker? Trash. The new lawn furniture? Trash! My new truck? Ditto!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 7:33 am 

but what does ditto mean??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 6:38 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Ditto Heads: Those who are followers or fans or like thinkers of Rush Limbough.

Well I have been trying to get a settlement on the smoker that burned up. The warranty excludes surface damage to the unit as it is considered to be normal wear and tear. There is, however, no such warning against using pre-soaked (self lighting) charcoal. My smoker is still under a one year warranty so I aim to take it back to the retailer. On Friday I bought a table top grill that I use to cook steaks. It did not come with a users manual or warranty. I can't get an estimator to come out to the house to give me an estimate on the roof and gutter damage. The insurance adjuster gave me a settlment on the damage to my truck.
My bowell movements have returned to normal. Only 2000 people in Jackson are still without electricity. Life goes on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 12:48 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Well, I got the retailer to take back the burned up smoker. They gave me a new one. Yesterday evening I had to assemble it. It had many screws. I kept screwing and screwing until I got the job done. Now I kind of miss the old burned up smoker with a big dent in the head. :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 1:56 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Is igit a euphemism for an idiot :?: An idiot would not recognize a euphemism if it hit him in the groin. My burning up the Brinkman smoker was unintentional. If I had to describe it in a single word then I would say that it was a misadventure. :)

Post subject: Eejit
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2003 10:25 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Eejit is an attempt to portray the Irish pronunciation of idiot.

I once attempted to call a working group the Education and Environment Joint Initiative on Transport but was overruled.