Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:01 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: explaining love...
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 3:56 pm 

...is like trying to explain colors to a blind person.

does anybody know the correct quote and who it is by?

and...could anybody explain this quote to me?
Those who enter heaven may find the outer walls plastered with creeds, but they won't find any on the inside.
Josh Billings

thanx :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 6:34 pm 

Your first one is an anonymous "warm fuzzy" type quote.
The second one appears to be intended to make a person think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 6:35 pm 

The first one is a "warm fuzzy" type thingy with no author.
Love is not understandable...it's like tryin to explain colors to a blind person
"I don't know what love is, so I don't understand. It is like trying to explain colors to a blind person."
"Describing love is like describing the taste of water."

The second appears to be intended to make a person think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 9:16 pm 

ok. thankyou so much!

Post subject: Re: explaining love...
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:55 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

The first one states that words cannot explain love but if you somehow try to explain it with words or by speech you will never stop speaking for love is eternal. The second one is a quote based on imagination. :idea:

Post subject: love
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:49 pm 

i rote a blog explaining love. pm me if you wanna see it

Post subject: Re: love
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:37 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

I am a young writer who writes and teaches about love and life so i would love to examine your blog that explains love..... :idea:

Post subject: blog
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:19 pm 

exact words of my love blog:

"i wrote this in my journal a couple months back. i just read it today and it sounded pretty good. hopefully everyone else thinks so. the only thing is im not fully comfortable writing about this topic. after all, i am still just a kid.

What is "love" besides an indescribable emotion that we all strive for? Where do we find it if it seems like weve looked everywhere? or is it supposed to find us? my definition of "love," is a feeling of need, being needed and completion. Another question id like to ask is why is it so hard to recover after you lose it? if our lives were fine before we had it, why do we try so hard to get it back? why is it so necessary to have? we often run into it without thinking about what may come of it. why does the loss of this emotion cause so many people to be sad? you have to either force yourself into finding it again or try to find closure in drugs to make the pain dealt from being alone go away. The thing is, once youve had it and lose it, how can you be sure that your ever gonna be able to find it again? you cant be sure. i think thats why we have to try our best to keep it. so that way we can continue to be happy.

i think that after you lose it, you try so hard to get it back. and during the time your searching you start to lose yourself. all you want to do is fill in the gap thats missing, when really, all your doing is making the hole bigger.

and dont judge me for writing this. the majority of the people my age have probably said it to a significant other.

Gravitation cannot be held responsible for people falling in love. How on earth can you explain in terms of chemistry and physics so important a biological phenomenon as first love? Put your hand on a stove for a minute and it seems like an hour. Sit with that special girl for an hour and it seems like a minute. That's relativity. -Albert Einstein"

Post subject: Re: blog
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:52 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Ok first of all there are three types of love: erotic, phileo & agape. Erotic is caused by the sexual attraction from one to another by first impression. Felio is the family love which involves mom loving children and dad and etc.. Agape love is the love of God which is God. Now love is characterised in two section; natural love and true love. The first two types of love erotic and felio goes under natural love because it is time consuming, have an end and is of this earth. The third type agape goes under true love because it is timeless and has no beginning or end. Love is not an emotion but most people experiences and mistakes natural love for true love. Oh by the way i read many things about einstein so i know that quote but it stilll deals with natural love because true love is not earth bound and breaks all gravity! :idea: Feel free to ask anymore questions.

Last edited by Enoch Bernard on Fri Dec 25, 2009 10:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:03 pm 

In my opinion, the meaning of the second quote is pretty obvious. The outer shell of heaven (The Holy Books of whatever you happen to believe in) oddly enough are filled with the creeds of the faith required to gain access to Heaven.

Once in heaven, you have proven yourself, you no longer need the reminders of creeds or rules to do the right thing. Seems counter-intuitive to me, but I don't share the same views. There's my 2 cents, take it as you will.

I concur with the above on the first quote though, no one can experience the same love as another. Trying to explain an experience like that is like trying to explain something like 'The taste of water', 'The color clear', etc, etc. It's something non-sensical that will never mean something to someone else in a different context.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:00 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

I'm not here to create a debate but i would just like to crown off the last quote i have posted on this page. The statement trying to explain love is like trying to explain the taste of water or describing colours to a blind man was made early on this page. First i would like to begin with talking about the blind man and the colours. Now the colours represents love in that particular quote and it exist but because the man is blind he cannot comprehend the colour(love). Why? Because the device and potential that is required to part take in and perceive love, the man does not have. The colours however will remain the same and also the man's eyes that is not capable of seeing. One does not need long pretty explainations to make them understand because there is a possibility of understanding without someone explaining or describing. "Understanding is knowledge with character." Lets say there is another man who can see, he would be able to understand the difference in colours by his sight and know what it looks like on his own! Secondly, the quote with explaining the taste of water. The water represents love and the taste is its description. Now again just like the colour, the water exist. In case you all did not know something can be explained by and action not only by words. If you look at the meaning of explain you would see that. Now tasting the water with your tongue is an action and after witnessing and experiencing this there is no need of and explaination because your mental facalties have already understood it internally by the mouth drinking the water... Love may sometimes take a different route to get to a person and can at times be expressed in different ways but the main thing is; LOVE IS WHAT IT IS AND LOVE IS LOVE! :idea:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:16 pm 

Love is very hard to elucidate... Love means so much that words can never be enough to express how you truly feel.

Love can either hurt or make someone happy.

No matter how much you get hurt because of Loving, Love is the only way to heal that broken heart...

LOVE...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:00 am 

For me Love is the relationship between a son/daughter and his parents.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:16 am 

Just say what you want, or say marry me!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:23 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Love, to be a true one, must remain blind.