Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:19 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: principle vs. principal
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 10:28 pm 

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between a dog and a man.
Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)

Shouldn't that read, "the principal difference"? According to the Merriam-Webster site, "principle is only a noun; principal is both adjective and noun"--in the quotation above, it's modifying "difference," so it's being used as an adjective, not a noun, right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 11:23 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

I must agree with you. Principal would be a better choice for a word to describe the difference. We get abandoned dogs dumped out on the road where we reside. So what should be done?

1) Feed the dog
2) Call the Humane Society
3) Shoot the dog
4) All of the above

I usually feed a starving dog before I call the humane socieity. They wanted me to pay them $30.00 to deliver the dog into their custody. I told them that it was not my dog and I would not pay them to take a stray dog. They wouldn't agree to take the dog.

What would you do?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 3:10 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Corrected.

Phantom: there might be other organizations in your area that deal with abandoned pets more sensibly. We got our dog from a local no-kill shelter.

Post subject: Re: strays
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 5:28 pm 

Checking for other local organizations is a good idea, as well as other national ones, like the APA and the ASPCA.

Another idea is to put up posters or place an ad in a local paper.

One more: call vets. Our vet will take in stray puppies (not adults--they refer those to a local no-kill group), give them the treatment they need, and find them homes. The new owners pay for the treatment already received.

To answer the multiple choice question, I'd never shoot a dog. If it were beyond saving, I'd call my vet and have it put to sleep, or at least call Animal Control or the Humane Society--if the HS wanted to charge for it, I'm sure AC would put it to sleep for free.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 5:48 pm 

According to what I consider the best authority on Twain quotes:

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
- Mark Twain, Pudd'nhead Wilson's Calendar
http://www.twainquotes.com/Dogs.html

The dog is a gentleman; I hope to go to his heaven, not man's.
- Mark Twain, Letter to W. D. Howells, 4/2/1899

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 6:32 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

A dog starved at his masters gate
Predicts the ruin of the state.

--Prior, The Remedy Worse Than the Disease

----------------------------------

We get so many stray dogs on our road that I might as well hang a sign and start my own animal shelter. One day I found a dead dog under the central heat/air pump. The unit is elevated above the ground. The dog had just crawled under the unit and died of starvation. In 2000 I agreed to adopt a puppy from a man who had several pups. The pup was half lab and half golden retriever. It took us nearly half a day to make the drive and pick up the pup. I then spent the rest of the day building a pen for the dog. I wanted to own dog by choice and not by default. The annual cost of owning a dog runs about $500.00 per year. I had her fixed when she was six months old so we wouldn't be encumbered with unwanted pups. Last summer she got hit by a car and it cost us almost 300.00 in medical fees. She lost her tail. Last Christmas I bought the dog a new house. On Monday I gave her a wild turkey drumstick to eat. The drumstick was as tough shoe leather.

If I ever own another dog then I aim to buy one that has been fully trained.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 11:56 am 

Even trained dogs get hit by cars and have medical problems. All dogs, regardless of their pedigree (or lack thereof), level of training, and age, are expensive; they are also inconvenient. The point is, life is better with a dog than without (at least, everyone in my family thinks so), so it's worth the expense and inconvenience.

If you don't want a puppy, that's great--rescue an adult dog. Buying puppies is a bad idea, anyway--if you go to a pet store, you're likely to get a puppy from a puppy mill, and if you go to a breeder, unless you've really done your research, you could end up with a dog which is purebred but also wracked with medical problems. Adopted strays, in my experience, are healthier and live longer--they don't have all of the bad qualities which result from generations of inbreeding.

Of course, all of this would be much easier if people would just spay/neuter their dogs in the first place, and leave the breeding to the breeders.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 6:41 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

to answer the origional question yes it should be principal. I believe that principle is a type-o or the person writing it could be very low on grammar skills.

My thoughts, my words, my crimes forgive
And since I soon must cease to live
Instruct me how to die.~Lord Byron
Rogue insomniac