Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:21 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Literary Quotations
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 9:55 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

There is first the literature of knowledge, and secondly, the literature of power. The function of the first is to teach; the function of the second is--to move.

--De Quincey, Essays on the Poets: Pope

Great literature is simply language charged with meaning to the utmost possible degree.

--Ezra Pound, How to Read

Literature always anticipates life. It does not occupy it, but moulds it to its purpose.

--Oscar Wilde, The Decay of Lying

Literature is the orchestration of platitudes.

--Thorton Wilder, Literature
[/i]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 7:29 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested ...

--Bacon, Essays of Studies

---------------------------------------

[WHITMAN, WALT]

W.W. is the Christ of the modern world--he alone redeems it, justifies it, shows it divine.

--John Burroughs, Entry in Journal, 1892
---------------------------------------------

The incurable itch to write possess many.

--Juvenal, Satire, VII

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 9:17 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

"Give me a theme." the little poet cried,
"And I will do my part:"
"Tis not a theme you need," the world replied;
"You need a heart."

--R.W. Gilder, Wanted, A theme

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 7:30 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

I find no sweeter fat than what sticks to my own bones.

--Walt Whitman, Song of Myself

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 8:04 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

A man may as well expect to grow stronger by always eating as wiser by always reading.

--Jeremy Collier, Of the Enchantment of Books

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 1:46 pm 

"All that I desire to point out is the general principle that Life imitates Art far more than Art imitates Life".

O.Wilde

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 2:44 pm 

It's a sad fact that in our culture that a poet can earn much more money writing or talking about his art than he can by practicing it.~W.H. Auden (1907-73).

When I am dead, I hope it may be said: “His sins were scarlet, but his books were read.”~Hilaire Belloc (Joseph-Pierre Hilaire Belloc 1870-1953). French-born British writer.

Great literature must spring from an upheaval in the author’s soul. If that upheaval is not present, then it must come from the works of any other author which happens to be handy and easily adapted.~Robert Benchley

A good heavy book holds you down. It's an anchor that keeps you from getting up and having another gin and tonic.~Roy Alton (1941- ), U.S. writer.

There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them.~Joseph Brodsky (1940-1996), Russian-born U.S. poet and critic.

Writing poetry is an exercise in dying... sorrow controlled by meter.~Joseph Brodsky

My heroines are always virgins. They never go to bed without a ring on their fingers.~Barbara Cartland (1901-2000), British author of romance novels.

A good novel tells us the truth about its hero; but a bad novel tells us the truth about its author.~G.K. Chesterton, (1874-1936), English journalist and author.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 7:44 am 

I have never heard the expression "Scarlet sins". I wonder if it is a set-expression, or personal poetic invention. :|

(Sorry English is not my language)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 8:07 am 

In Gogol's Portrait, the artist despairs at the thought that he has sacrificed art for the sake of "life." In Ibsen’s drama, When We Dead Awaken, there is also an artist, who has become world-famous, and who repents that he has sacrificed his life—to art. Now, choose—which of the two ways of repentance do you prefer?

Lev Shestov

Lev Shestov - All Things are Possible

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 10:47 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

"His sins were scarlet,"is a very good example of a personal poetic invention. (This is otherwise known as coining a term.)

------------------------

If you meet a fencing master on the road, you may give him your sword.
If you meet a poet, you may offer him your poem..
When you meet others, say only a part of what you intend.
Never give the whole thing at once.

--Zen Flesh, Zen Bones

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 12:34 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Scarlet Sins, is a colorful way to describe one's sins. The selection of the word "scarlet" suggest that his sins were of a sexual nature (as in The Scarlet Letter.) And how would I color my own sins in a poetic description? When I am dead I hope that it is said that his sins were white washed like a picket fence but his books were puntuated with errors.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 2:51 pm 

White washed sins, pure crystal sins and such mislead the reader to thinking of your absolute innocence, sir :wink:

It is perfectly all right if you are the Angel. :) Where can I check your books for punctuation errors?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 3:29 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

How many different ways can one color sin? The term "white washed" would suggest that my sins had been painted over rather than washed away. :wink: Like shooting a duck that was on the water only to find out that it wasn't really a duck but a decoy. :)

I certainly wouldn't want it said that my sins were of a lavender nature (because they aren't.)

And how would you color your sins?

Books? I am trying to finish writing The Trials & Arrows of Bows & Errors :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 10:07 pm 

Now I understand you! :D

- What color are your sins?
- Blue, perhaps. Not melancholy blue, but forget-me-not blue. I should keep track of my sins, because life is too short and leaves me no time for duplicates. Every sin must be unique and original! Hmmn. Good to know, I could be a Perfectionist! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2003 5:35 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

A little crystal blue persuasion is always enchanting. :wink: There was a popular song by that title back duiring the pre-Woodstock era. It was more of a 50's tune than a 60's sound but it was a big hit none-the-less.

Shooting at a duck on the water is a good example of brown sin. I say brown because it wasn't dark enough to be black. The incident dates back to the winter of 1979 (during my college era). It was on Super Sunday and I was sitting in the chapter room of the Phi Sigma Kappa House at UTM. There was about six inches of fresh show on the ground. Just as the Super Bowl got cranked up my best buddy drove up in his bright red Toyota pick up truck to take me on a "surprise" hunting trip. Carl was not a frat man, he was a serious pre-med student. He was also the top salesmen in the nation for the Varsity Book company (1977 & 1978) He sold bibles and books during the summers and came back to college rolling in cabbage. :mrgreen: Carl loved to hunt. Deer season was closed but we were in the mood to open it back up for at least a single day. Anyway, we drove off into the backwoods of Weakley County. It was a pristine winter day. There was no traffic on the roads. We spent an hour just driving the roads looking for deer and fresh tracks.. About 3:00 p.m. we arrived at Garrett Lake. About 40 yards out in the lake there was a green head mallard sitting on the water. Carl had pulled the truck to the edge of the boat landing and handed me his new Remington 870 Wingmaster. He said, "shoot that duck!" I rolled down the window on the passenger side and stuck the barrel of the shotgun out the window and took a hasty aim. BOOM! Buckshot peppered the water but that duck just kept his cool. It didn't even flinch. Carl said, "SHOOT HIM AGAIN!"
I said, "Carl, it is a decoy."
"OH!" :o
We had a good horse laugh and then drove back to the Phi Sig House.

Most of my sins these days are the color of amber.

The Trials & Arrows of Bows & Errors is a book that is puntuated with bullet holes and double ought buckshot (as well as cedar arrows).