Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:21 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Dostoevsky on "beauty"
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 8:38 pm 

Is it true, prince, that you once declared that 'beauty would save the world'? Great Heaven! The prince says that beauty saves the world! And I declare that he only has such playful ideas because he's in love! Gentlemen, the prince is in love. I guessed it the
moment he came in. Don't blush, prince; you make me sorry for you. What beauty saves the world?

~Dostoevsky, from The Idiot
http://ibiblio.org/gutenberg/etext01/idiot10.txt

Mrs. Epanchin examined the portrait of Nastasia Philipovna for some little while, holding it critically at arm's length.
"Yes, she is pretty," she said at last, "even very pretty. I have seen her twice, but only at a distance. So you admire this kind of beauty, do you?" she asked the prince, suddenly.
"Yes, I do--this kind."
"Do you mean especially this kind?"
"Yes, especially this kind."
"Why?"
"There is much suffering in this face," murmured the prince, more as though talking to himself than answering the question.
"I think you are wandering a little, prince," Mrs. Epanchin decided, after a lengthened survey of his face; and she tossed the portrait on to the table, haughtily.
Alexandra took it, and Adelaida came up, and both the girls examined the photograph. Just then Aglaya entered the room.
"What a power!" cried Adelaida suddenly, as she earnestly examined the portrait over her sister's shoulder.
"Whom? What power?" asked her mother, crossly.
"Such beauty is real power," said Adelaida. "With such beauty as that one might overthrow the world."
She returned to her easel thoughtfully.
~Dostoevsky, from The Idiot

In a pastoral letter, Saving Beauty, Cardinal Martini of Milan set forth a vision for loving one another as God loves us. After discussing some of the world's greatest problems, he described a scene in one of Dostoyevsky's novels in which a character asks:
"The prince says that the world will be saved by beauty! ... What sort of beauty will save the world?"
The prince does not answer, but stands silently with the infinite compassion of love next to a young man of 18 who is dying of tuberculosis.
"What sort of beauty will save the world?"
Cardinal Martini, noting the compassionate love of the prince, suggests:
"the beauty that will save the world is the love that shares the pain."
~copied from an Internet webpage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 10:51 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Theno, are you reading The Idiot? It's one of my favorites . . .

Post subject: dostoevsky
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 12:00 am 

Hi there,have you read the short story "the light nights",(or sth like that)written by the same author,here in Iran sb have directed a fim according to the story but I haven't found the book yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 1:36 pm 

Indeed, there is a lot of power in female Beauty. Particularly when it comes to its ability to bring up the best from men. People love sunsets, paintings, poetry for the same reasons. Very inspiring. On the other hand people enjoy so many things that appeal to their dark side. They enjoy it with the same intensity, and this is why this Dostoevskiy's dream is yet to come true.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 2:11 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I just added "The Idiot" to The Literature Page so I could read this in context.

http://www.literaturepage.com/read/theidiot.html

Here's the page with the 'beauty saves the world' quote, Part III Chapter V:

http://www.literaturepage.com/read/theidiot-432.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 7:38 am 

"What beauty saves the world? Colia told me that you are a zealous Christian; is it so? Colia says you call yourself a Christian."

The prince regarded him attentively, but said nothing".

- That does not help! :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 11:41 pm 

As good as I'm sure the idiot is. I still have to read Crime and Punishment. I started it and couldn't put it down. I'm in the third page (aka, it's a slow read)

--Fotm