Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:57 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:04 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

http://www.opendemocracy.net/burce-celik-defne-karaosmano%C4%9Flu/turkish-force-lies-and-videotape-repression-on-three-fronts

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/17/world/europe/turkey.html?ref=world&smid=tw-nytimesworld

Any of our old friends looking in may like to add good wishes to the QP " teller of tales" who is suffering after effects of tear gas, but still writing and publishing.

If you Google Occupy Gezi or Occupy Taksim you will get true reports, video and news of what has been going on there, when a peaceful protest to save green space turned into a major protest followed by vicious violent actions by police ordered to use tear gas and water cannon.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:42 am 
DedeKorkut
DedeKorkut

Thank you milady! It is a bit sad to see while our own government and their supporters are so grim and hostile towards us, you "care". Yet i am happy to see despite the miles and oceans sundering us, "common sense" or whatever it is, still exists... Thank you.

I went to doctor due to some lung problems and it's proven that my lungs are damaged due to too much smoking. I also had had a serious lung illness years ago, it seems it left my lungs vulnerable. And the gas, water, being chased etc at last managed to leave me totally weak. Thus i no longer participate in protests, but still supporting with articles i write...

Good news is, i at last decided to quit smoking :)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:17 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Hi all,
one of my rare visits thanks to the spam purveyors.
Tony,so sorry to hear of your troubles. Head down for a while? Is the lung problem emphysema?
Please mate, look after yourself!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:08 am 
DedeKorkut
DedeKorkut

Thank you DSW :) The lung problem is not something too serious, but it seems different kinds of illnesses i've suffered left it weak. And i realized that when i collapsed every time i inhaled the tear gas while 15-16 year old lads still fight fiercely. Tempus fugit, growing old... :P

The thing has turned into a low level resistence, because bastards brought into an edge of dilemma: we either had to attack police with lethal weapons or would retreat and find another ways. You know, it's not easy to remain calm and follow the common sense when someone is shooting a gas bomb aiming your head. So the protests changed their essence. And because the "physical resistence" ended, it became a matter of politics, so there's no more solidarity. Yet i think the most important thing in the whole progress, was the fact that young people standing together without any "real" bonds bind them together, managed to "scare" the authorities and showed all, even to themselves, that a young Turk who lost his/her patience can be dangerous :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:33 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Tony old chap, I've grown to have faith in you. I may not always agree with what you do but I believe in the righteousness of why you do it, so I'll not be criticising anything.
However permit me to iterate,

LOOK AFTER YOURSELF!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:52 am 
DedeKorkut
DedeKorkut

Thank you again DSW, I may not always understand all words you use but i believe you never insult my mum :P

The protests changed their nature, as i had said before, we came to a crossroad: either we would attack the police with the same level of violence or would retreat and keep showing our frustration in other ways. We (at least, I) chose the second option and left the streets, as we already "scared" the government and prevented them from demolishing the park which triggered the whole thing when the government decided to demolish and replace it with a shopping mall.

It was a good experience, i personally "resisted" against the police along with the conservationists, the leftists, the gay/lesbian/transexual(...) groups etc. Saved lives, and was saved by people who would call me "devil" just few days before the whole thing began, because of my political views. Thus i see this protests in a different way: it was not an attemption to change the government, it was not a mere riot, but it was a "sign", it was a "consequence", not a "start". My generation is more "open minded" in all aspects, and so our political standing is different than the equivalents in our past. "Labels" are still "leftist", "nationalist" bla bla, but the essence of the ideas has changed it seems, my generation has a new "spirit". And we showed that, which made me really happy: My father was shot by a man just because he supported a different ideology. Now, perhaps i was on the same side with that man's children.

Now, i don't think these protests etc. will give birth to a new movement. Instead, (which i appreciate) it will cause all political parties to change themselves. Even the government, it seems. Just, everyone participated in or supported, now should keep the "fire" alive and spread it, thus we can experience a change in a appropriate way: Without killing or getting killed. I am hopeful, all signs show this to me.