Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:00 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 12:54 pm 

The quote, "Any community's arm of force - military, police, security - needs people in it who can do neccesary evil, and yet not be made evil by it. To do only the necessary and no more. To constantly question the assumptions, to stop the slide into atrocity.

Lois McMaster Bujold, "Barrayar", 1991",

(http://www.quotationspage.com/quote/25893.html)

i think there is a spelling error. Necessary is spelt 'necessary'. Maybe that's how its spelt in America (I am from the UK), but I am fairly confident that it is not.

Sorry if i am wrong.

Thanks,

"Nothing inspires forgiveness quite like revenge."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 12:20 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Hmm, the question isn't how is it spelt in america, the question is how did the autor spell it? Notice that there are two words, both are different. First, there's "can do neccesary evil" and then there's a "do only the necessary". Since this is strange, according to internet it's correct.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 7:01 am 

Yeah, but typos like this "stick" if they go for too long. It is a simple typo and it should be corrected. I thought her reply in this interview is interesting, so I'm posting it:
Quote:
PNR: Your new book, THE CURSE OF CHALION, is set in a new universe, one with its own religion, including five gods. Can you tell us how you developed this structure?
Lois McMaster Bujold : Gut feel, and my argument with philosophical dualism. On some level, I think the Platonic view of the universe, and the mind/body and good/evil dualism that has flowed from it, is a profound mistake, particularly when people attempt to apply it to the messy ambiguities of the real world. Much evil has been done in the name of good by persons wedded to a too-simple theory of society, economics, religion, politics, or what have you. When they attempt to apply their theories, and of course discover that real people persist in not fitting properly into their conceptual boxes, too often the response is not to abandon or modify the theory, but rather to start chopping up the people to make them fit. My five gods were, first of all, a pantheon that could not be divided evenly, one that resisted the deceptive simplifications of dualism.
The Father of Winter, the Daughter of Spring, the Mother of Summer, and the Son of Autumn map onto most of the human condition. In addition, the fifth god, a sort of trickster figure called the Bastard, turned out to be terrifically important in Chalionese Quintarian theology. The fifth god gives a box for all the bits and people who don't fit otherwise to go into, to have a legitimate place to stand and a powerful protector. The Bastard provides the adjustable grease between tidy theory and messy reality, so that the interface isn't plagued by so much destructive friction. He is, naturally, the god of balance, of disasters, of all things out of season; in addition, of foundlings and (naturally) bastards, of persons of alternative sexuality, of artists, of spies, no doubt of science fiction writers, and of a lot of other important things.
People being perverse, naturally they went and re-invented dualism in the form of the Quadrene heresy, dominant in the Roknari princedoms, which takes the four primary gods to be "good" and the Bastard to be a demon. So while everyone pretty much agrees on the existence of the same deities, the argument continues over their classification; the two faiths are in effect heresies of each other, with all the plot-driving conflict that implies.
http://www.writerspace.com/ParanormalRo ... Bujold.htm

This list of quotations has the spelling correct
http://www.geocities.com/war_quotations/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:51 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Fixed. Definitely a simple typo, "neccesary" is not correct in the US or the UK.

And "according to internet it's correct" is making a huge assumption. I can just about guarantee that everyone on this list copied the quote from our site:

http://www.google.com/search?q=%22necce ... gle+Search

Not that there's anything wrong with that, quotation lovers find quotations here and put them in their own collections all of the time, and that's great as long as they don't copy large quantities.

But due to the popularity of this site our typos have a nasty habit of propogating all over the web. Some of my earliest typos and misquotations are now on thousands of pages out there...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:15 am 

Did anyone spot the mis-spelling of "propagating"? Oops! Fantastic site, though. Wish I'd discovered you earlier!