Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:14 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Greek Drama/Epics
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 8:11 pm 

I like to go a little further back than literature on American history. I enjoy Greek literature, Dramas, Comedies, And of course the classic Epics. A lot of younger pepole I know think that Greek literature means all mythology and that means all fiction. Rather contrary to this belief however, Greek literature as well as Greek Mythology are based on religious beliefs and historical events. For example, the two books by Homer "The Illiad" and "The Odessy." Both books are based on historical events of the Trojan war and heros of the war. They are not just fictional stories. If any one else has further discussion on Greek literature please feel free to contact me personaly or leave a post to reply. [/i]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:12 am 

Hi QuotationFanatic,
I admit I have not read a lot of Greek literature, but I quite enjoyed The Odyssy by Homer. And as I am going to start learn Greek I might be reading on or other epic work in the future. :)

I also like that these stories are not just fictional. What I find especially fascinating is that "who was Homer?" question. All very mysterious.

Greek literature is very dramatic, endlessly metaphorical but also quite humourous at times.

Have you by any chance read Medea? I ask because I have only read the German Medea, by Christa Wolf and I'd like to know if Euripedes' original is worth reading.

Kind Regards,
Monika

Post subject: Medea
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:34 pm 

Though I have not fully read Euripedes' "Medea" I am familliar with the mythology behind it and I have read excerpts. I don't have much knowledege about the German version but I imagine you would enjoy the Greek version as well. I do know individuals who have read as well as veiwed the Greek version of the play and I will be sure to get thier feelings on it and present you with more feedback.
P.S. I'm glad to find some one with similar interests and hopefully we shall soon be joined by others.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 2:59 am 

After all, we can't be the only ones here who enjoy Greek literature. :mrgreen:

I am thinking of reading The Illiad... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 5:34 pm 

Of course we aren't (I hope) also I think you will enjoy the Illiad

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:22 am 

I love the Greek stories. I enjoy the ancient myths and how the were intermingled with lives and literature of their day. I've read Herodotus and Thucydides but I find the fiction so much more enjoyable. I especially like Euripedes (what can i say, i like the blood and guts).

Currently I am re-reading the Aeneid, which isn't Greek of course (I seem to have lost my copy of the Illiad) but it still has that nice historical myth element.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 10:18 pm 

The brilliance behind the Greek's writings is immeasurable. Read The Iliad and The Odyssey repeatedly. Don't forget to read Sophocles' Oedipus Rex. It's so utterly heartbreaking and beautiful.

Also check out The Last Days of Socrates by Plato--a somewhat hard-read but very thought-provoking. I was reading it at the ballpark during my son's practice and a fellow parent asked if I was reading it for a class. I said no just for the heck of it. She said she reads for the heck of it too but not Plato. I said, Why not Plato?" Don't limit yourself. Read everything--knowledge liberates the mind!

No one thought up being;
He who thinks he has
Step forward.
---Jim Morrison