Quotations and Literature Forum

It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:52 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Road Trip!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 2:47 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Pardon my recent lack of participation (and just when things are heating up!), but I'm planning a road trip. I've been cooped up in central New Jersey far too long and, since I've always been afflicted with wanderlust, I'm going on a road trip. I have no specific destination in mind, but I'm setting a hard limit of 5 days on the road.

So far I'm stopping in South Jersey/Atlantic City to meet one online pal, and in central PA/Gettysburg to see another. Anyone near those locations is welcome to meet us for lunch, dinner, or drinks.

Let you guys know how it went when I get back.

— Bill Mauldin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2002 5:53 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

On the road again? I can't wait to get back on the road again ...

--Willie Nelson
------------------

Try to keep it between the ditches. I always wanted to take trip to Alaska. My travels are limited to Canada, U.S and Bahama's. I really want to take an Alaskan Cruise.

The first time that I took a cruise my wife got pregnant. The second time that I took a cruise my wife got pregnant again. This time I think that I will take my wife with me. :mrgreen:

Post subject: Road Trip
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2002 6:15 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Speaking of a road trip. Just over a week ago my fishing buddy and I were on the road again. It had been ten years since we last drove to Arkansas to fish for trout. As we crossed the boot heel of Missouri we saw cotton fields and soy bean fields. When we crossed the Arkansas state line we saw the rice fields. About 50% of the rice produced in the U.S. is grown in Arkansas. Texas is the second largest producer of rice.

Anyway, as we were passing through Black Rock, Arkansas, I asked my buddy;
"what is the happiest memory of your life.?"
He thought about for almost a full 30 seconds then said;
"running that touchdown against Huntingdon in the fall of 1975."
He talked about the game a bit but neglected to return the question.
(Tom was an all conference running back for the Lexington Tigers. I had played for Huntingdon from 1971-1974 and Lexington was our biggest rival. Huntingdon had won the game in 75 but Tom had put the Tigers ahead with his touchdown. There must have been 3000 people attending the game.)

I finally stated that my happiest memory was bagging a 12-point buck on Thanksgiving morning in 1991. I then asked Tom about his second happiest memory?
"Hitting a grand slam against Tennessee Tech during college. (Tom had earned a baseball scholarship at MTSU. He was one of two players who graduated from his Senior baseball team. )

Post subject: Wanderlust
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2002 2:23 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Afoot and light hearted I take the open road,
Healthy, free, the world before me,
The long brown path before me leading wherever I choose.
Henceforth I ask not good-fortune, I myself am good fortune,
Henceforth I whimper no more, postpone no more, need nothing.
Done with indoor complaints, libraries, querluous critisims,
Stong and content I travel the open road.

--Walt Whitman, Song of the Open Road

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 8:53 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Wanted man in California,
Wanted man in Buffalo
Wanted man in Kansas City,
Wanted man in Ohio.

Wanted man in Mississippi,
Wanted man in ol' Cheyenne
Wherever you might look tonight you might see this wanted man.

I might be in Colorado,
Or Georgia by the sea
Working for some man who may not know who I might be.

If you ever see me coming and if you know who I am
Don't you breathe it to nobody 'cause you know I'm on the lam

Wanted man by Lucy Watson,
Wanted man by Jeannie Brown
Wanted man by Nellie Johnson,
Wanted man in this next town.

I've had all that I wanted of a lot of things I've had
And a lot more than I needed of some things that turned out bad

I got sidetracked in El Paso,
Stopped to get myself a map
Went the wrong way into Juarez with Juanita on my back

Went to sleep in Shreveport,
Woke up in Abilene
Wonderin' why I'm wanted in some town half way in between

Wanted man in Albuquerque,
Wanted man in Syracuse
Wanted man in Tallahassee,
Wanted man in Baton Rouge

There's somebody set to grab me
Anywhere that I might be
And wherever you might look tonight
You might get a glimpse of me

Wanted man in California,
Wanted man in Buffalo
Wanted man in Kansas City,
Wanted man in Ohio

Wanted man in Mississippi,
Wanted man in ol' Cheyenne

Wherever you might look tonight you might see this wanted man.

— Bob Dylan and Johnny Cash.

— Bill Mauldin

Post subject: 5 days on the road
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2002 6:07 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

As I was reading my camping journal I came across an entry that would qualfy as a road trip.

When the first week of August ended in 1979 my summer work experience with the Youth Conservation Corps had also ended. I had shared a house trailor with 2 Co-Workers and we lived at 1000 Boat Dock Road in Somerset Kentucky. Since I had not had a vacation all summer I decided to make the most of my trip back home. It was a Monday morning when I packed my bags and said good bye to the mouse infested trailor. The last thing that I did in Kentucky was to drive through the drive through branch of the Bank and draw my savings. I had my recent paycheck in my pocket and my final paycheck would be mailed to me in two weeks. I handed my savings pass book to the pretty woman behind the glass then told her that I would like to draw my savings and close my account. When I crossed the Tennessee State line I counted my money and discovered that the clerk had given me $200.00 more than I had in my account. :)

Since I was $200.00 richer I decided to visit Dale Hollow Lake to camp and fish for trout. On Tuesday morning I packed my gear then drove south to I-40. During the afternoon I checked into a Holiday Inn to rest and releax and go swimming in the pool. As I was letting my fingers do the walking through the yellow pages I found 5 twenty dollar bills stashed in the phone book. I treated myself to a steak supper then went to a local Disco to party. :mrgreen:

On Wednesday morning I drove about 20 miles west on I-40 and stopped at the Bucksnort Trout Ranch. There was not a soul there so I went ahead and caught me some plump trout. Since no one was around to collect my money I just cut a trail. I then drove about 30 miles west on I-40 and camped at a KOA. Later in the afternoon I got in a poker game and decided to invest the money that I had found in the motel room. About two hours later I left the game with $40.00 in winnings. 8)

On Thursday I decided to drive south on Highway 13 and stopped at Buffalo Springs Campground. The woman who owned the Canoe Livery and Campground told me that her man got in trouble with the law and had left the state. She told me that she needed help with the mowing and would pay my wages and feed me supper. Since I didn't have anything scheduled I spent the afternoon mowing the grass. She fed me a supper of black eyed peas, sliced tomatoes and cornbread. After supper I helped her with the dishes and she invited me to spend the night. :mrgreen:

It was about 10:00 a.m. on Friday moringing when I left Buffalo Springs. As I was driving through Linden I got pulled over by the local Police for driving 45 in a 30 mile zone. The officer insisted that I should pay him $25.00 cash. I told him that I was broke and had just enough gasoline to get me to Lexington. He gave me a stern warning then let me go. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:43 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

road trip... I've been considering this for quite a while.. am bored, and angry at the world , time to get out and see what the world really means to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:26 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Start planning, Arrow, Go man, Go!
The planning itself will give you enjoyment for a start :)