It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:52 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:24 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

mwal wrote:
He wouldn't be God.

God's nature is not to be fair, but to judge us all equally after our life is over, and weigh our actions against their consequences in context.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:40 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Anajo wrote:
So your definition of "free will" means that your god doesn't answer prayers. And you previously stated that "God" answers "all" prayers. Which is it? Free will or God answering all prayers?

May i ?

I am of the persuasion that everything works together for good, that not every unanswered prayer is bad. It may be unacceptable at first but in the long run, a person realizes that it was in fact a blessing in disguise unless that person still chose to dwell in misery and failed to discern the workings of God in his circumstances. If i cannot achieve what i really want despite my best efforts and hard prayers, will i eventually blame my God? I refuse to do this even if the "doubting Thomas" in me calls my attention but i find difficult situations in the past to be in my favor. It made me stronger, resilient and more faithful to my faith. To accept the nature of God is to deny our own nature and faith makes it possible. A solemn submission to believe, to let go of every doubt, to surrender the uncontrollable struggles of life, to accept in one's heart that change is meant only for the better, only then and when this wall of doubt is completely removed, that God shall begin to truly manifest first in our personal lives, then to others with whom we are attached in one way or another.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:04 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Quote:
I am of the persuasion that everything works together for good

I am of the persuasion that one can find the good in a bad situation and make the best of it. However, there is no way that everything that happens is for the good. If you ended up with an awful disease, you might have a difficult time finding how it was for "good", but you could make the best of it, of course. However, those who are living in extreme poverty and hungry and suffer on a daily basis until they meet their ultimate death... well, I don't see the "good" in any of that.

Quote:
that not every unanswered prayer is bad

Not every unanswered "prayer" is bad, but some unanswered prayers are most certainly very bad.

Quote:
It may be unacceptable at first but in the long run, a person realizes that it was in fact a blessing in disguise unless that person still chose to dwell in misery and failed to discern the workings of God in his circumstances

Well, this would depend on what circumstance we're talking about here. Some illnesses and circumstances just don't have that silver lining.

Quote:
If i cannot achieve what i really want despite my best efforts and hard prayers, will i eventually blame my God?

I don't blame anyone. I don't blame "God". But then I don't give credit to the mythical "god' either.

Code:
I refuse to do this even if the "doubting Thomas" in me calls my attention but  i find difficult situations in the past to be in my favor. It made me stronger, resilient and more faithful to my faith

I've survived some difficulties too. It made me a stronger person. I had no need to believe in medieval myths in order to find that strength within.

Quote:
To accept the nature of God is to deny our own nature and faith makes it possible.

Not sure what you're getting at here..

Quote:
A solemn submission to believe, to let go of every doubt, to surrender the uncontrollable struggles of life, to accept in one's heart that change is meant only for the better, only then and when this wall of doubt is completely removed, that God shall begin to truly manifest first in our personal lives, then to others with whom we are attached in one way or another.

Basically, you're saying that we should accept live as it is, as there's not a whole lot that we can do about it, and I agree. I agree that one should be as positive and accepting as possible. However, I can do that without having to believe in some mythological being.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:39 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

To rephrase about the nature of God is if one is to appreciate the notion of God, that person must be willing to set aside human nature of disbelief, qualms and distrust. I think he/she cannot come to a conclusion of God being fair or even seemingly unfair unless his/her thoughts are measured against the divine word.

Last edited by arrow on Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:38 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. I'm not sure what we're getting at here? What's the question? It's almost as if we're challenging each other for no reason. This is what happens:

Non-believers ask the question.
Believers answer.
Non-believers nod their head.

Believers ask the question.
Non-believers answer.
Believers nod their head.

What are we trying to accomplish? What are we trying to understand? Lastly, can we please do more than nod our head?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:04 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

so take a stand tommy, i'll take the opposite one and we'll see if we can't get a discussion going.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:37 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

If I am to take a stand, might I suggest we stick to the thread.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:49 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

blah blah blah....

I guess that's where this thread is going... (right?)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:58 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

I think so, yes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:24 pm 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

Here i am and here it is Tom.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:07 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

THANK you. Couldn't find it anywhere! I'm especially interested to read *my* posts after three years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:26 pm 

if god is fair...he will lower taxes :D or we wouldnt know it,or just thank himor,(for the more deeper) my life wouldnt be a hell, and for teh more catholics he will smite us all for sinners

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:47 pm 

If God was fair... It wouldn't claim to be perfect, and then make an imperfect world.

If God was fair... It wouldn't create a Devil.

If God was fair... It wouldn't send unbaptized babies to Hell.

If God was fair... It wouldn't create religion.

If God was fair... It wouldn't send me to hell for not being Christian.

If God was fair... It wouldn't need a martyr to save my soul.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:08 pm 

If God created folly, it would be perfectly imperfect. If not, then we are all doomed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:21 am 
QuoteMaster
QuoteMaster

If God was fair, then there would certainly be no need for him...

"The sun rises every day. What is to love? Lock the sun in a box. Force the sun to overcome adversity in order to rise. THEN, we will cheer! I often admire a beautiful sunrise, but I will never consider the sun a champion for having risen."
Garth Stein